Tarik

Tourist visa for my mother.

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi everybody.

I'm a US citizen originally from Morocco,I'd like to invite my mother to come and visit us and was wondering what her chances of approval. She has always been a housewife so she can't show employment records. She is still married to my dad which will not be accompanying her. They have a joint bank account and can show they still live together in their house. Will that be enough to convince the officer she isn't intending on staying here? Is there anything we can do to make her file look better?

Thank you.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline

Does she have any travel history, such as traveling out of the country and returning home? For a tourist visa they want you to show very strong ties to your country. Is she on the title of the house? She needs to be able to prove she will return home without a shadow of a doubt. To be completely honest she doesn't seem to have strong ties by what you've stated, but if she does have travel history that can be a plus.

<3  Our K-1 Visa Journey <3

I-129f sent -- 2-18-2016        

NOA1 -- 2-24-2016

NOA2 -- 05-02-2016

NVC received -- 05-13-2016

NVC left -- 05-18-2016

Embassy received -- 5-22-2016

Interview Date -- 8-31-2016

Interview Result -- APPROVED!!!

AP -- (09-07-2016)

Visa Issued -- 9-08-2016

US Entry -- 09-24-2016

<3 MARRIAGE -- 10-21-2016 <3

AOS, EAD, AND AP Filed 01-05-2017

NOA1 -- 01-19-2017

Biometrics -- 02-06-2017

EAD and AP approved -- 05-19-2017

AOS approved -- 08-24-2017

Received card -- 09-01-2017

❤ Baby boy is here!! December 26th 2017 ❤

Hi Tarik,

My husband is also from Morocco and his mother is in the same situation as yours. She doesn't work outside of the home and doesn't have many assets. She applied for a visitors visa and was approved for a ten year multiple entry visa without any issues. There really isn't anything you can do to help her receive the visa except explain the steps and help fill out the forms. The interview was in darija through an interpreter that works at the consulate. It was a simple process where the interviewer asked where we live in the USA and about our jobs. They also asked about her previous trips outside of Morocco. My mother-in-law said that she really didn't really know what I did or how much my income is, and that wasn't a problem.

Best wishes

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Thank you for the reply guys.

I was thinking since she is married and dad will not come e with her that would show she plans on going back :).I guess only way to know for sure is to apply :)

Marriage alone may not be enough. There have been too many who overstayed that have left spouses and children behind in hopes of sending for them later.

Not saying your mother will get denied, but other factors that might help are good travel history to other countries and ownership of property.

Edited by NuestraUnion

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

I think she should apply and see what happens.

Think about it this way, since you are a citizen, you could easily apply for your parents to move to the USA and receive a green card within a year and a half if you wanted them to stay in the USA. So since you are only applying for a visitors visa, it kind of shows she plans to return to Morocco.

I think she should apply and see what happens.

Think about it this way, since you are a citizen, you could easily apply for your parents to move to the USA and receive a green card within a year and a half if you wanted them to stay in the USA. So since you are only applying for a visitors visa, it kind of shows she plans to return to Morocco.

That's not how the CO will see it. The CO will assume that she has immigration intent, as is assumed of EVERYONE applying to enter as a tourist until they can satisfy the officer that this is not the case, and even more so because she has immediate family there. It's not unheard of for mothers to apply for tourist visas to visit their USC children and then "change their minds" about going home and adjust status. That would be impossible to do if she had no family there but very easily done with a son/daughter there. So she is more at risk of denial and has more obstacles to overcome.

Cute baby in the profile picture, OP. Is your mother coming to care for the baby? Be advised that looking after the grand baby is, in the eyes of US immigration law, work and not permitted on a tourist visa.

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.