quentin955

We don't know where to move: FL, TX or LA?

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

I got more answers than expected on this thread.

It turned out that my fiancée might get a job in Texas. In case she doesn't, DFW and NOLA will stay on the top of our list. I have to get more information about Nashville too.

I think DFW is 1st overall right now on our list. Apparently there is a lot of stuff to do. There are museums, restaurants, some nice area... And we can go watch football, basketball and soccer!

As MarkPerry said, there is Six Flags over Texas too, and they have lots of interesting offers.

Add a cheap house market, no income tax, an economy that keeps growing... Apparently we can't really go wrong with it!

Thank you all for your answers.

I like how this conversation is going, since I don't know so much about DFW neighborhoods and districts and I'm interested about knowing more about them.

Depending on your lifestyle/budget, I can point you to look at design district, uptown, downtown, oak lawn, las colinas/ Irving, Addison, and farmers branch. Square footage increases for the same price you pay as you move outward from downtown.

AOS - 130 days

ROC - 15m

N400 - 10/18/2019

bio - 11/4/19

Filed: Timeline

Ok so maybe we weren't looking hard enough. But I wanted apartment living and I didn't mind the 1400 sqf (we are 2), also it has a lake view so I kinda wanna keep the same of what we have now (beach house in LB). We also looked at Addison and farmers branch, any input on what's up and coming?

Where will your job be? That would factor into my answer. I spent 40 plus years in Las Colinas area and moved a few years ago, I know the area quite well.

Up and coming area is Frisco, McKinney, Plano Allen.

Timeline

Where will your job be? That would factor into my answer. I spent 40 plus years in Las Colinas area and moved a few years ago, I know the area quite well.

Up and coming area is Frisco, McKinney, Plano Allen.

Grapevine, hence Las Colinas for a 15 minutes commute.

AOS - 130 days

ROC - 15m

N400 - 10/18/2019

bio - 11/4/19

Grapevine, hence Las Colinas for a 15 minutes commute.

You are aware Las Colinas is Irving. Have you checked out Flower Mound or Southlake, very nice and upcoming areas and a closer. Irving wouldn't be a bad choice. I would look into buying a house, since you are from California you will be shocked how much house you can get in D/FW area compared to what you would pay in California, I would say a $400K house in some parts of California can be picked up for $100K in D/FW area. Plus with the stupid low interest rate it a no brainer to buy a house. I will say Irving has very low property tax, I would figure that into my consideration when buying a house, I am not familiar with Southlake/Flower Mound tax rate

Edited by MarkPerry

Timeline

You are aware Las Colinas is Irving. Have you checked out Flower Mound or Southlake, very nice and upcoming areas and a closer. Irving wouldn't be a bad choice. I would look into buying a house, since you are from California you will be shocked how much house you can get in D/FW area compared to what you would pay in California, I would say a $400K house in some parts of California can be picked up for $100K in D/FW area. Plus with the stupid low interest rate it a no brainer to buy a house. I will say Irving has very low property tax, I would figure that into my consideration when buying a house, I am not familiar with Southlake/Flower Mound tax rate

No we haven't checked out those places but we will now! Thanks for the headsup. Yeah buying a house is definitely in the pipeline but we are renting the first year and use that time to shop around. I think I will grow to like DFW very much. Her being a red state notwithstanding.

AOS - 130 days

ROC - 15m

N400 - 10/18/2019

bio - 11/4/19

No we haven't checked out those places but we will now! Thanks for the headsup. Yeah buying a house is definitely in the pipeline but we are renting the first year and use that time to shop around. I think I will grow to like DFW very much. Her being a red state notwithstanding.

Good Plan. I live in Frisco and go to Grapevine quit a bit to fish on the lake there. I can be there in 25 minutes, Look into Frisco when you get time. It is the fastest growing city in the USA for like the last 10 years or so. It's all new up here and you will find houses in the 3500 to 4500 sq ft for around $400K, You can get a lot of house for your money.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

So, the areas we chose are:

Orlando, FL.

She went there a few years ago and she loved it. I, personnaly, have never been there.

The idea of having Walt Disney World near us is something we would both enjoy.

But after reading some comments about the area, I'm not sure it's something we would enjoy this much. I might be wrong though. I really don't know much about this area, so if you have some things to tell me about this, i'll take it!

I've been in the Orlando area for the past 11 years and I hate to say it but I like it, I love the beaches, the theme parks.. I avoid Disney (wall to wall small children and strollers) and tend to go with Universal way cheaper (about half the price of Disney for an annual pass) and more adult themed activities and events not just rides. I might be liking it so much because I don't have children and most importantly I don't live in Orlando proper. I'm about 45 minutes outside it. Honestly I couldn't live in Orlando too many people, too much crime and the traffic is horrific at times some of the drivers don't make it pleasant either but that might be true in other areas. Housing outside Orlando proper can be very reasonable even for a new build. I will say one thing however about Florida is there's no state income tax and they (the state) could care less about teachers. There's an unpopular governor in office that gutted education, conversation and just about everything else he could get his mits into. I've found that salaries here tend to be on the low side compared to other metropolitan areas however so is the cost of living. One big benefit to Florida is no snow, ice or winter at least here in central Florida however summer time is brutal to put it mildly.

Filed N400 11/7/16

Check (CC) Cashed 11/10/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.