Gary Whitfield

K1 Adjustment of Status and EAD Dependancies

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Quick question. I moved to the USA with a K1 Visa and I have applied for Adjustment of Status and an EAD. It looks like I have a delay on the Adjustment of Status and they want more information, but I have had a job offer in between which I know that I cannot accept until I have the EAD. Are they processed separately? Will the EAD still follow the 90 days as suggested in the processing times?

EAD is processed independently from AOS, because it is a stop-gap measure for the time before you get your GC. The GC gives you the right to work by itself, rendering the EAD obsolete.

I hope you also applied for AP so you can travel in the meantime, since its free. The GC can take a year or more.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

Brilliant... so come 90 days (ish), I would have my EAD and will be able to accept my job offer? That sounds brilliant. And then when I have my AOS, I would also be able to discuss my new income. :)

Brilliant... so come 90 days (ish), I would have my EAD and will be able to accept my job offer? That sounds brilliant. And then when I have my AOS, I would also be able to discuss my new income. :)

If you have a job offer you can try to expedite the EAD based on "loss of income."

AOS for my husband

ROC:

After nearly 4 months of no pay... We are not travelling anywhere for a while.

Well all right, but a lot of people come here and complain when there is a tragedy in their family and they have no AP when they could have had it. Missed funerals, etc. AP is free. You don't have to use it.

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

It depends. Is it a request for initial evidence? If so, both processes will be halted until you've responded.

Oh, and you can accept the job - just not actually start working before you have your EAD.

Edited by A'n'L

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

Timeline

It is a request for initial evidence... not sure what it is as it has not arrived yet. I got the message via the app 3 weeks ago. Arggghhhhhh.....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.