Manarcutie

How long does AP take and why did they put me there? (merged threads)

21 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

MostafaAli

The problem is for us the consular officer gave the passport back to my husband. He didnt accept him or refuse him. He gave him a white paper saying administrative processing... we didnt understand why because all the documents were fine and provided. Even he said so himself. but good luck to you. 2.5 months is a very long time. I can imagine how you must be feeling. ill pray for you and me both that it comes fast as possible.

MostafaAli

The problem is for us the consular officer gave the passport back to my husband. He didnt accept him or refuse him. He gave him a white paper saying administrative processing... we didnt understand why because all the documents were fine and provided. Even he said so himself. but good luck to you. 2.5 months is a very long time. I can imagine how you must be feeling. ill pray for you and me both that it comes fast as possible.

Returning the passport when the CO suspects the AP will be undetermined is common. If it does take months ( and we all hope it doesn't) your husband will at least still have the ability to travel other places.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Serbia
Timeline

My husband is 21 years old. He is Egyptian and we married 1 year ago. I am 19 years old and i am a US citizen. We applied for CR1 visa on January 21 2016 and just yesterday, after 9 months of waiting was his interview in the US embassy in cairo egypt on October 25th 2016. My husband supported all the documents needed and answered the questions honestly and correct. Even the consular officer who interviewed us said all documents look good and nothing is wrong or missing in our case. Then he gave us a paper that said administration processing. My husband and i got worried asking him why he gave it to us if everything was alright.and the man said some cases need AP and ur case seems to be one of them. That is all he said. And he gave my husband back his passport saying to wait for an email from the US embassy when they are done. So i asked how long will it take to receive this email or notification. And the man said it depends, and every case is different. It could be up to 2 months or more. So we left the embassy very disappointed and confused and worried. I went on google and vosa journey to see similar stories and the outcome, and ive read people say it took 2 weeks only and they got accept or 3 days only. And some say 3 months or even a year and more of waiting :( :( im confused and worried because the man gave my husband back his passport. Its like he will take a long time or something. Im currently in egypt right now and im so homesick to go back to the USA. But not without him :( does anyone have any idea or similar story or any advice at all. Please help me.

I am in the same situation like you...the CO gave me yellow paper and wrote administrative processing on it no additional documents required...when I asked how long does it takes he said I dont know...it has been two months and no respond from the embassy.... :(

The Co also returned my passport and I guess that means that my AP will take longer...

Edited by Anna Frankovich

Timeline

I am in the same situation like you...the CO gave me yellow paper and wrote administrative processing on it no additional documents required...when I asked how long does it takes he said I dont know...it has been two months and no respond from the embassy.... :(

The Co also returned my passport and I guess that means that my AP will take longer...

Im so sorry to hear that :( :( ill pray for you and i both. Hopefully it comes soon for you. The good thing is you've been through the 2 months. So you dont need longer to go. Time is flying and passing by :) stay positive and ull get it sooner then u think... thats what I'm telling myself.

Timeline

Returning the passport when the CO suspects the AP will be undetermined is common. If it does take months ( and we all hope it doesn't) your husband will at least still have the ability to travel other places..

Thank you so much. I appreciate it.. and hopefully it doesnt take months... :/

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

I don't wish to cause any unnecessary heartache, however, as others have said this is very normal for the embassy in Cairo. My husband and I have been married several years and I was living in Egypt for quite a few of them. The good news is most visas are approved after undergoing AP. And the reasons for AP can range from: how common your spouses name is, double checking on associates of your spouse and their family, to a number of other issues. Most of the time it is double checking names, and "extreme" vetting. My husband and I were in AP for almost 12 months. And the whole process took over 20. Sadly, he sent me back to the US because I was pregnant and my transplanted kidney was failing and none of the health issues that followed warranted them to speed up their process. If you are in a position to stay with your husband during the AP do it. I know it's a struggle in Egypt right now, and that of course makes home seem like a beautiful memory. But it isn't worth being separated especially when there isn't cause to be separated. I would have given anything to stay with my family in Egypt during the immigration process but sadly I couldn't. Just know it will end and then you can both come and start the next chapter of your life together. I pray you all find ease إنشاءالله.

Edited by OmSama

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.