zw085213

Help please!

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello,

I am preparing I864. My husband is my petitioner and he just graduated this summer. His dad is our joint sponsor. When I am filling my husband's I 864, I am confused about the part 6, question 3 to 16. It asks me to indicate the person in my husband's household size if we need their income.

So my question is , whether I need to put my husband's Dad information in this part, as he needs to prepare a 864 form too. If yes, should I check the question 16, the people listed in Item Numbers 3., 6.,9., and 12., have completed Form I -864A.

Thanks in advance!

CR1:

03/01/2016: Sent I130

03/13/2016: Received NOA1 letter

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

does he live with his dad? if so, then he wouldn't be the joint sponsor but the household member

your husband will file the i864 and his dad the i864A to combine income

but if they don't live together, then each of them will fill out an i864 and you don't add his dad's income to your husbands

joint sponsors can't combine income

Edited by Ryan H
Reason for edit: to remove double post.

hi

does he live with his dad? if so, then he wouldn't be the joint sponsor but the household member

but if they don't live together, then each of them will fill out an i864 and you don't add his dad's income to your husbands

Thanks! Can his dad file the I864 even they live together? does it work?

hi

Thanks! Can his dad file the I864 even they live together? does it work?

CR1:

Yes. If his father doesn't claim him on his taxes, then his father SHOULD do an I-864 not an I-864a.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Yes. If his father doesn't claim him on his taxes, then his father SHOULD do an I-864 not an I-864a.

Thanks. My husband hasn't claim tax yet, as he just started to work in this June. But in his dad's 1040 form, my husband is on the dependents column. So which one his dad should do?

CR1:

Thanks. My husband hasn't claim tax yet, as he just started to work in this June. But in his dad's 1040 form, my husband is on the dependents column. So which one his dad should do?

Either one will work. Since his dad already claims him as a dependent and his household count will have to include your husband. If they use the I-864a they will need proof they live in the same house, and of their relationship to each other if you go this route however. If you do the I-864 you do not need that information.

Edited by NikLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Either one will work. Since his dad already claims him as a dependent and his household count will have to include your husband. If they use the I-864a they will need proof they live in the same house, and of their relationship to each other if you go this route however. If you do the I-864 you do not need that information.

Thank you very much. I will do I-864. But on the part 6, question 3 to 16: Income you are using from any other person who was counted in your household size, including, in certain conditions, the intending immigrants.

Do I need to put his dad's information in this part? (His mom does I-864A) If yes, the question 16, The people listed in Item Numbers 3.,6.,9., and 12. have completed Form I-864A. Should I mark it?

I am confused here, as we are using his dad's income, and he is in the household size. Thanks again for your help.

CR1:

Okay on his dad's form, no he doesn't include the son's income. He would include the mom's income. ON the son's form, again if you go with the I-864 you do not include the dad's income. Just make sure the household counts are correct.

Okay on his dad's form, no he doesn't include the son's income. He would include the mom's income. ON the son's form, again if you go with the I-864 you do not include the dad's income. Just make sure the household counts are correct.

Thanks!

On the son's form, should mom's income be included? Thanks!

CR1:

Thanks!

On the son's form, should mom's income be included? Thanks!

No. Nor on his household count.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.