Jeniafrench

IRS Tax transcripts overseas PLEASE HELP

10 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone!

We just got a welcome letter from the NVC. Still got a little bit of time left before we get to mail the documents to them.

Basically it came as a surprise to us that they require tax transcripts (somehow we just thought that tax returns are it). My husband is the USC living and working overseas in Singapore. He has filed taxes in the US.

We started looking into how to get tax transcripts and it doesn't look too great. He can't do it online because he doesn't have a US phone contract that is a requirement for identity verification. He can't have them mail it to his old US address because his parents recently moved. The IRS has our Singapore address on file. But I'm not even sure if they would mail it overseas. And I don't know how long it might take...

So basically given the situation, do you think that NVC can accept 3 years tax returns? They also require W2, but it is only available through US employers. Here in Singapore there is an equivalent of W2 but it is called something else. Should we include that as well?

I don't want to waste time trying to get the transcripts if we can just get away with returns + W2 equivalent. If we just send returns and W2 equivalent, what are the chances that NVC will reply saying they need transcripts as well?

Appreciate anyone's help on this.

Edited by Jeniafrench

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Please read the Affidavit of Support form instructions. It's clearly stated that you need either complete tax returns + W-2's (or whatever income statements you have) OR tax transcripts.

Tax transcripts are not a must.

(Where you might run into trouble is that if the sponsor has income from a foreign country, they need to be able to prove that their job/income will continue in the US. If the petitioner has to quit their job when they move to the US, a joint sponsor will be needed, unless the petitioner has sufficient assets.)

Edited by B&Z

My Convoluted Story (see my profile for more details)
Jun 2009 - Met on Facebook
Mar 2010 - Visited Morocco for the first time, got engaged
Dec 30, 2011 - Wedding in Morocco (5th visit)
I-130/CR-1 (first time around)
31 Aug 2012 - Priority Date (Vermont, transferred to NBC)
31 Dec 2012 - NOA2
27Jul 2013 - Broke up/Separation (while waiting for case complete at NVC)
9 Jan 2014 - Filed for divorce in US (never completed)
4 Apr 2014 - USCIS NOIR
May 2015 - Reconciliation
Nov 2015 - Vacation together in Spain (7th in-person visit with each other)
I-130/IR-1 (second time around)
4 Feb 2016 - Priority Date
19 Apr 2016 - NOA2

17 May 2016 - NVC Case Number Assigned

31 May 2016 - Sent AOS/IV package to NVC

5 Jul 2016 - NVC Case Complete

10 Aug 2016 - Medical Exam

25 Aug 2016 - Interview - APPROVED

1 Sep 2016 - Husband picked up his visa

Husband POE'd @ IAD - 5 November

Please read the Affidavit of Support form instructions. It's clearly stated that you need either complete tax returns + W-2's (or whatever income statements you have) OR tax transcripts.

Tax transcripts are not a must.

(Where you might run into trouble is that if the sponsor has income from a foreign country, they need to be able to prove that their job/income will continue in the US. If the petitioner has to quit their job when they move to the US, a joint sponsor will be needed, unless the petitioner has sufficient assets.)

Correct. I also read in the Affidavit of Support that returns and W2 can be submitted in lieu of tax transcripts . I was mostly wondering if, in the case that the sponsor lives and works overseas, will NVC accept another country's equivalent of a W2 instead of the actual US version. So if anyone has experience with this I'm interested to find out.

Regarding your second point. I haven't read or heard before about the need to prove there will be no lapse in employment or income once the sponsor returns to the US. Do you know firsthand about that happening, and can you point me in a direction where I can find out more about it?

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

Correct. I also read in the Affidavit of Support that returns and W2 can be submitted in lieu of tax transcripts . I was mostly wondering if, in the case that the sponsor lives and works overseas, will NVC accept another country's equivalent of a W2 instead of the actual US version. So if anyone has experience with this I'm interested to find out.

Regarding your second point. I haven't read or heard before about the need to prove there will be no lapse in employment or income once the sponsor returns to the US. Do you know firsthand about that happening, and can you point me in a direction where I can find out more about it?

Thanks.

Hi Jeniafrench,

Did you find anymore information about the W2 stuff? I also live in Singapore and almost done with the process as I received a case complete from the NVC. However, I received a checklist after the case complete asking for my wife to bring my 2015 W2 to the interview with her. I don't have a W2 because I work locally in Singapore. My tax returns I sent to them allowed them to complete the case and schedule an interview, but i'm obvously worried about the interview.

After reading a bunch of posts, it seems that maybe I do need tax transcripts even though it gives limited information compared to the tax forms. I attempted to get tax transcripts when I started the process in March of 2016, but never received anything. I requested them again but like you, I fear that they won't be able to send them to a foreign address. I heard that the IRS did have some issues with identity fraud earlier this year, so it's possible that they didn't send it last time because of that.

Thanks

First suggestion - You can have a family member do the verification over the phone,it is just a text message with a code. Problem lies they have many issues sending them overseas so someone in the states need's to get them and mail them to him/you

Some tips.

Yes apply his W2 version from where he is working there no is no harm in applying it. ( Won't help a-lot though )

You do realize though at the interview you will need to also prove he will be in the united states before or at the same time of you AND have an income otherwise you will get denied?

Edited by MrChamploo

Met 6/21/15 Online

Married since February 29th 2016 In the Netherlands (Where she is from)

6/12/16 - Preparing to send packet to USCIS

6/27/16 - Sent Package to Chicago lock-box via UPS

7/5/16 - NOA1 Text/Email / sent to Potomac (Hardcopy 7/10/16)

8/3/16 - NOA 2 I-130 Approved! Case sent to NVC! (Hardcopy 8/6/16)

8/19/16 to 9/4/16 - Visited wife for two weeks in NL. =}

9/1/16 - NVC Case and invoice # received. (Email) Finished DS260 and Paid AOS Fee.

9/8/16 - IV Fee Paid!

9/16/16 - DS260 Finished!

9/27/16 - Sent Documents to NVC.

11/21/16 - Called NVC. Case reviewed and accepted on 11/18. Waiting for email/mail.

11/28/16 - Got Email stating we are now waiting for an interview spot!

12/11/16 - Got the interview date! 1/12/17!

1/12/17 - ...ACCEPTED SHE IS NOW WAITING FOR HER PASSPORT IN THE MAIL! =]

1/18/17 - Passport and visa in her hands! We now wait till 2/24 for her to fly to me! (Has to finish work contract)

2/24/17 - She is now here with me! POE was simple,she only took 10 minutes with them checking her visa! "Welcome to America,missus"

3/15/17 - SSN Card Received.

4/10/17 - Greencard Received.

Preparing I-751 (ROC)

11/26/18 - I-751 Prepared and mailed out.

11/27/18 - UPS Confirmed Delivery at 10:30AM

12/3/18 - Checks cashed and got Email/Text With Receipt #

01/3/19 - Extension letter received.

Hi there!

Actually, my husband called IRS and requested that they mail the tax transcripts to Singapore. That wasn't a problem at all, they already had our Singapore address on file (since that's the address he used when filling taxes). So we didn't have to submit W2s.

So just sent tax returns to NVC, correct? Without W2s? I know Singapore has the equivalent of W2 which is called IR8A. Request that from your employer. Also, if you still have time before your wife's interview, I would suggest giving IRS a call to request the tax returns. Ours took about 3 weeks to arrive at our address in Singapore. That may add some credibility because you need to submit either Tax Transcripts OR Tax returns + W2s - seems like in your case W2s were missing and that's why they asked for it.

Mind if I ask you if you just sent an Affidavit of Support for yourself or did you also need a joint sponsor? I'm freaking out of my mind because we sent all the docs to NVC but with only my husband as a sponsor. Now I keep reading that if the income is from overseas, then you need a joint sponsor. Any thoughts on that?

Hi Jeniafrench,

Did you find anymore information about the W2 stuff? I also live in Singapore and almost done with the process as I received a case complete from the NVC. However, I received a checklist after the case complete asking for my wife to bring my 2015 W2 to the interview with her. I don't have a W2 because I work locally in Singapore. My tax returns I sent to them allowed them to complete the case and schedule an interview, but i'm obvously worried about the interview.

After reading a bunch of posts, it seems that maybe I do need tax transcripts even though it gives limited information compared to the tax forms. I attempted to get tax transcripts when I started the process in March of 2016, but never received anything. I requested them again but like you, I fear that they won't be able to send them to a foreign address. I heard that the IRS did have some issues with identity fraud earlier this year, so it's possible that they didn't send it last time because of that.

Thanks

Thanks for tips. Could you PLEASE PLEASE tell me more about the last part?

Is there anywhere I can read about it?

We just sent all the documents to NVC. We only sent 1 AOS (my husband's), his current income is from overseas, we live in Singapore. Do we need to also have a US-based joint sponsor? Can we send it to NVC without waiting for a checklist?

Also, my husband is planning to move to the US prior to my interview. However he might not find a job immediately. In this case the visa will be denied at the interview? What if we have a joint sponsor - is that enough to guarantee that the visa would be approved?

You do realize though at the interview you will need to also prove he will be in the united states before or at the same time of you AND have an income otherwise you will get denied?

Thanks for tips. Could you PLEASE PLEASE tell me more about the last part?

Is there anywhere I can read about it?

We just sent all the documents to NVC. We only sent 1 AOS (my husband's), his current income is from overseas, we live in Singapore. Do we need to also have a US-based joint sponsor? Can we send it to NVC without waiting for a checklist?

Also, my husband is planning to move to the US prior to my interview. However he might not find a job immediately. In this case the visa will be denied at the interview? What if we have a joint sponsor - is that enough to guarantee that the visa would be approved?

He needs to prove he is moving back to the US. (Plan tickets and sorts) Sorry i read that wrong. Does he have an address already for the US? They will need to know where your staying exactly.

Yes you will need a joint sponsor and as long as they meet the income requirements. (Which will be for you and himself and any other family they have)

Edited by MrChamploo

Met 6/21/15 Online

Married since February 29th 2016 In the Netherlands (Where she is from)

6/12/16 - Preparing to send packet to USCIS

6/27/16 - Sent Package to Chicago lock-box via UPS

7/5/16 - NOA1 Text/Email / sent to Potomac (Hardcopy 7/10/16)

8/3/16 - NOA 2 I-130 Approved! Case sent to NVC! (Hardcopy 8/6/16)

8/19/16 to 9/4/16 - Visited wife for two weeks in NL. =}

9/1/16 - NVC Case and invoice # received. (Email) Finished DS260 and Paid AOS Fee.

9/8/16 - IV Fee Paid!

9/16/16 - DS260 Finished!

9/27/16 - Sent Documents to NVC.

11/21/16 - Called NVC. Case reviewed and accepted on 11/18. Waiting for email/mail.

11/28/16 - Got Email stating we are now waiting for an interview spot!

12/11/16 - Got the interview date! 1/12/17!

1/12/17 - ...ACCEPTED SHE IS NOW WAITING FOR HER PASSPORT IN THE MAIL! =]

1/18/17 - Passport and visa in her hands! We now wait till 2/24 for her to fly to me! (Has to finish work contract)

2/24/17 - She is now here with me! POE was simple,she only took 10 minutes with them checking her visa! "Welcome to America,missus"

3/15/17 - SSN Card Received.

4/10/17 - Greencard Received.

Preparing I-751 (ROC)

11/26/18 - I-751 Prepared and mailed out.

11/27/18 - UPS Confirmed Delivery at 10:30AM

12/3/18 - Checks cashed and got Email/Text With Receipt #

01/3/19 - Extension letter received.

Timeline

Hi there!

Actually, my husband called IRS and requested that they mail the tax transcripts to Singapore. That wasn't a problem at all, they already had our Singapore address on file (since that's the address he used when filling taxes). So we didn't have to submit W2s.

So just sent tax returns to NVC, correct? Without W2s? I know Singapore has the equivalent of W2 which is called IR8A. Request that from your employer. Also, if you still have time before your wife's interview, I would suggest giving IRS a call to request the tax returns. Ours took about 3 weeks to arrive at our address in Singapore. That may add some credibility because you need to submit either Tax Transcripts OR Tax returns + W2s - seems like in your case W2s were missing and that's why they asked for it.

Mind if I ask you if you just sent an Affidavit of Support for yourself or did you also need a joint sponsor? I'm freaking out of my mind because we sent all the docs to NVC but with only my husband as a sponsor. Now I keep reading that if the income is from overseas, then you need a joint sponsor. Any thoughts on that?

I see. Okay cool, i'll give them a call and hopefully they will be able to send them to me.. we should have some time before the interview but don't know for sure because we don't have that date yet. And yeah, I sent the tax returns to the NVC without W2s because I haven't had any for 6+ years. I have the IR8A as well as my paystubs and will give them to my wife for the interview so I don't think it will be an issue.. just want to be absolutely sure.

I did the Affidavit of Support for myself and it worked just fine so far. If he's making a salary above the poverty level, I would guess you guys will be fine. However, I do have a job waiting for me with my current company in the states. We included a letter of employment confirmation that my company composed that includes my title and what my annual salary will be in the US.

Hope all goes smooth for you!!

Timeline

I see. Okay cool, i'll give them a call and hopefully they will be able to send them to me.. we should have some time before the interview but don't know for sure because we don't have that date yet. And yeah, I sent the tax returns to the NVC without W2s because I haven't had any for 6+ years. I have the IR8A as well as my paystubs and will give them to my wife for the interview so I don't think it will be an issue.. just want to be absolutely sure.

I did the Affidavit of Support for myself and it worked just fine so far. If he's making a salary above the poverty level, I would guess you guys will be fine. However, I do have a job waiting for me with my current company in the states. We included a letter of employment confirmation that my company composed that includes my title and what my annual salary will be in the US.

Hope all goes smooth for you!!

So, I called the IRS's International Services Call Center - https://www.irs.gov/uac/contact-my-local-office-internationally

They were able to fax me my 2015 transcript and i have it in my hand now!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.