kireinamida

Philippine Citizenship

4 posts in this topic

Hello, I am asking for a friend who is a Philippine Citizen, but recently naturalized as a US Citizen. At this point, is she a dual citizen or is she considered to be a US Citizen only? I was trying to help her out but we're both confused since it seems that you either re-acquire or renounce the Philippine citizenship. So technically, what does it mean right now since she hasn't done either? I found the information attached below, but it seems contradicting.

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

post-239657-0-14437700-1474273613_thumb.jpg

I-130/CR1 DCF ~ US Embassy Seoul
May 10, 2013 - I-130 Filed
May 13, 2013 - Received E-Packet 3

May 14, 2013 - Received E-Packet 4

May 14, 2013 - Medical ~ Yeouido St. Mary's Hospital
May 16, 2013 - Interview ~ US Embassy Seoul
APPROVED!!

May 20, 2013 - Passport and Visa in hand

:star: Completed in 7 business days!! :star:

N-400 319(e) Overseas Naturalization ~ Frankfurt

July 6, 2016 - N-400 Sent with fingerprints

July 12, 2016 - N-400 Delivered

July 20, 2016 - NOA

Aug 17, 2016 - Interview Letter

Aug 18, 2016 - Interview and Oath PASSED!!

:star: Completed in 40 days!! :star:

(L) I AM NOW A US CITIZEN!! (L)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

As of now She has the citizenship of USA and she is no longer a citizen of Philippines. She can retain her Philippines citizenship, however. After she applies for the re-acquisition of her lost Philippines citizenship and gets approved, she would have dual citizenship. You might want to verify if she will still retain US citizenship after reacquiring Philippines citizenship.

We had similar option here in India previously, which is now changed and does not allow for Dual citizenship.

Timeline Info below:

Spoiler

04/21/16 -- Marriage

----- CR1 Process -----

USCIS Stage [222 days from NOA1]

06/08/16 -- Sent I-130

01/31/17 -- I-130 petition sent to NVC [Received Email notification and MyUscis status update]

NVC Stage [105 days from NOA2]

Embassy/Consulate (Interview) Stage [43 days from Case Complete to Visa in Hand]

05/18/17 -- Consulate Received. CEAC Case status changed to "Ready"

06/01/17 -- Medical Examination [Complete. It took around 2 hours. Total Cost INR 11650 for Surat City Apollo Clinic]

06/12/17 -- Biometric (OFC) Appointment

06/13/17 -- Interview [7:30 AM at Mumbai, India]. Visa Approved

06/15/17 -- Visa in hand

06/21/17 -- POE at DFW (Dallas, Texas)

----- Removal of Condition -----

Removal of Condition (I-751) [Approved]

06/18/2019 -- Sent the package (3 Days before GC expires, cutting it close). Sent to Lewisville, TX via FedEx Ground

06/19/2019 -- Package received at around 9:30 AM (Hoping I don't get rejected for missing deadline)

06/24/2019 -- Card was charged with $680 fees. Text Message received confirming Receipt. Case routed to NBC (Case Number starts with 'MSC')

06/28/2019 -- NOA Hard Copy & 18 Months Extension Letter Received in Mail with NOA Date as 06/19/2019

07/12/2019 -- Biomentrics Appointment Letter received. The Letter is Dated 7/5/2019. Appointment is on 7/22/2019

07/22/2019 -- Biometrics Appointment Complete

02/01/2022 -- Interview Scheduled for 3/3/2022 (combo interview)

03/03/2022 -- Interview Complete. No new Green Card will be produced as my Naturalization was also approved.

03/04/2022 -- USCIS status changed to approved.

----- Naturalization -----

Naturalization (N-400) [Approved]

03/26/2022 -- N-400 online application complete. NOA Date.

01/15/2021 -- Biometric Complete.

02/28/2022 -- Interview scheduled for 3/3/2022 (combo interview)

03/03/2022 -- Interview Passed. Status changed to 'we recommended that your application be approved...' and then to 'Oath Ceremony Will Be Scheduled'.

03/09/2022 -- Oath Ceremony was scheduled for 3/25/2022.

Filipino's can re-acquire their Philippines citizenship thus becoming a dual citizen of the US and the Philippines. They essentially are applying for dual citizenship under Republic Act No. 9225 or the Citizenship Retention and Re-acquisition Act of 2003 (RA 9225).

Republic Act 9225 otherwise known as the Citizenship Retention and Re-acquisition Act of 2003 (more popularly known as the Dual Citizenship Law) enables former natural-born Filipinos who have become naturalized citizens of another country to reacquire/retain their Philippine citizenship by taking an oath of allegiance to the Republic of the Philippines before a Philippine Consular Officer. Upon reacquiring their Philippine citizenship, they shall enjoy full civil, economic and political rights as Filipinos.

Under the principle of derivative citizenship, unmarried children below eighteen (18) years of age, whether legitimate, illegitimate, or adopted, of former Filipino parents who reacquired their Philippine citizenship under this law, may also be deemed Filipino citizens, if they are included in the parent’s application for re-acquisition of Philippine citizenship.

However, there is another kind of dual citizenship, which is not covered by the law. This pertains to a dual citizen by birth: A child born in the United States when either parent was still a Filipino citizen is considered to be a dual citizen from birth (if born on or after January 17, 1973).

From <http://www.philippinessanfrancisco.org/philippines-sf/consular-services-sf/faq-sf/>

Edited by Greenbaum
Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

:oops: I posted the incorrect link. Here is the correct link for the dual citizenship information: http://www.philippinessanfrancisco.org/philippines-sf/consular-services-sf/faq-sf/#dual

The information you posted is not contradictory, but can be confusing if your not familiar with the process. When you are ordained a US Naturalized Citizen you lose your Filipino Citizenship (first paragraph of your attachment). Filing the paperwork for reacquiring your Filipino Citizenship is all you need to do. (second paragraph of your attachment) At the time of receiving your Filipino Citizenship then you will have the benefits that come with both US and Filipino Citizenship.

Edited by Greenbaum
Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.