HKdut

So does my fiancée only need her visa and the sealed packet to enter the country?

5 posts in this topic

She will also need to fill out the CBP Customs Declaration Form given out on the airplane so having a pen is a good idea; go to the people with Visas line; and have patience as they may take her to a secondary area to interview her--maybe, maybe not. She will need plenty of time if she has a connecting flight. Once thru the CBP check point she will get her luggage and go thru Customs. Most of the time my wife ends up having to have her luggage scanned when she travels by herself and this takes a bit of time.

I would also recommend that she bring official copies of any documents like birth certificates, divorce decrees, etc that would be very difficult to obtain from the US. Make certain the sealed envelop is easy to get to, but in a safe location among her carry on items.

I hope she has a good trip.

Dave

She should also have the CD with the x-Rays that she got at the medical in her purse in case she gets asked for it. I never heard that they actually ask to take a look at it but the doctor at my medical said I'd be surprised how often they actually do ask for it...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

When we entered, we had everything that mentioned before: the packet, all of the original documents, the medical package, and the Customs Declaration Form, and of course the passport with the visa inside. No one at immigration requested to see any of the original documents, but you should have them on you just in case.

One thing to remember is that it might take a long time for immigration to process her new visa at the airport. My husband has the CR1 visa, but processing his visa took a few hours at our point of entry. I'm not sure if you will be flying in together or not, but if you are waiting for her at the airport don't be too worried if she takes a while.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.