A_Singh

Selective Services and other N400 questions

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello All,

I am starting my preparations for my N400 and have couple of questions. I become eligible to file for N400 on 21st Sept 2016 (90 window begins before 3 years of initially enterring on CR1)

The following are my questions

1. Selective Services: I am right now 31 years old and was 29 when In entered on CR 1 Visa and have been in the us since then. My i751 has now been approved. Prior to coming to the US on CR1, I was in Canada and have come to US often on a B2 visa (tourist/visitors) (from my age of 25-29) and therefore have never stayed in the US for a period of more than 30-40 days. I never registered for this and I assume didn't have to as I was a non-immigrant visa holder. So do I have to provide any documentation that why I didn't register on the selective services etc

2. On the N400 form its asking me for my historical address and other information for the past 5 years, Since I'm filing on the basis of marriage to US citizen and was not technically a LPR since the past 3 years, do I still have to fill it out for the past 5 years. I've heard people mentioning that cut the 5 and enter 3 and USCIS will figure it out. IS that true? Need conclusive answer please.

3. My i751 just got approved today, Online status says card in production and I'm eligible to file for N400 in under 10 days, do I still have to provide all the documents that list about evidence of marriage or just the bare minimum they asked. I can however throw in some additional documents like updated leases, insurances, policies etc but wondering if that's actually required.

Thank You

A_Singh

Since you didn't immigrate to the US until after the age of 26 and maintained valid nonimmigrant status until then, you aren't required to register for Selective Service.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

1. Since between the age 18 to 26, you were always present in the U.S. as a legal non-immigrant, you were never required to register with Selective Service. If you present all your travel documents (passport stamps and visas) to USCIS, they should be able to understand that easily. Nevertheless, you can always apply for a Status Information Letter anyway, so if you wanna cover all your bases, you can surely apply for one with Selective Service when waiting for the naturalization interview, but if your interview officer knows what he or she is doing, you shouldn't need it.

2. Some people actually cross out all the "5s" and replace them with "3s." I applied under the marriage rule, but my attorney told me to provide 5 years of info. Personally, I think as long as you're ready to present 5 years of info in person, what you provide on the form is up to you.

3.Go through the N-400 evidence checklist, and you'll see it keeps saying "OR," if it's really not hard for you to get the documents, just pretend it's "AND" to be extra safe. Nevertheless, if you just get the condition removed, you've experienced a delay for sure. Is there a reason or is it just because that your I-751 was with Vermont Service Center? If there's a specific reason for the delay, I'd provide evidences for that too, because that reason is usually up for re-examination.

Hello All,

I am starting my preparations for my N400 and have couple of questions. I become eligible to file for N400 on 21st Sept 2016 (90 window begins before 3 years of initially enterring on CR1)

The following are my questions

1. Selective Services: I am right now 31 years old and was 29 when In entered on CR 1 Visa and have been in the us since then. My i751 has now been approved. Prior to coming to the US on CR1, I was in Canada and have come to US often on a B2 visa (tourist/visitors) (from my age of 25-29) and therefore have never stayed in the US for a period of more than 30-40 days. I never registered for this and I assume didn't have to as I was a non-immigrant visa holder. So do I have to provide any documentation that why I didn't register on the selective services etc

2. On the N400 form its asking me for my historical address and other information for the past 5 years, Since I'm filing on the basis of marriage to US citizen and was not technically a LPR since the past 3 years, do I still have to fill it out for the past 5 years. I've heard people mentioning that cut the 5 and enter 3 and USCIS will figure it out. IS that true? Need conclusive answer please.

3. My i751 just got approved today, Online status says card in production and I'm eligible to file for N400 in under 10 days, do I still have to provide all the documents that list about evidence of marriage or just the bare minimum they asked. I can however throw in some additional documents like updated leases, insurances, policies etc but wondering if that's actually required.

Thank You

A_Singh

Since you didn't immigrate to the US until after the age of 26 and maintained valid nonimmigrant status until then, you aren't required to register for Selective Service.

1. Since between the age 18 to 26, you were always present in the U.S. as a legal non-immigrant, you were never required to register with Selective Service. If you present all your travel documents (passport stamps and visas) to USCIS, they should be able to understand that easily. Nevertheless, you can always apply for a Status Information Letter anyway, so if you wanna cover all your bases, you can surely apply for one with Selective Service when waiting for the naturalization interview, but if your interview officer knows what he or she is doing, you shouldn't need it.

2. Some people actually cross out all the "5s" and replace them with "3s." I applied under the marriage rule, but my attorney told me to provide 5 years of info. Personally, I think as long as you're ready to present 5 years of info in person, what you provide on the form is up to you.

3.Go through the N-400 evidence checklist, and you'll see it keeps saying "OR," if it's really not hard for you to get the documents, just pretend it's "AND" to be extra safe. Nevertheless, if you just get the condition removed, you've experienced a delay for sure. Is there a reason or is it just because that your I-751 was with Vermont Service Center? If there's a specific reason for the delay, I'd provide evidences for that too, because that reason is usually up for re-examination.

Hello There,

THank you for the input, However, if I don't get a letter from the Selective Service, Do I have to attach some sort of a letter explaining on why I did not register with Selective Service?

Thanks

Timeline

No. Like I've said, if your adjudicating officer knows what he or she is doing, you have nothing to explain as long as you present your travel history in details because he or she can see that you're never required to register.

A Status Information Letter is something you have to apply for from Selective Service yourself, they won't just mail you one. You are NOT required to get it, but just in case your adjudicating officer is inexperienced or something, you CAN get it after you submitted all other necessary files. If you apply right after submitting the files, you should get the letter before the interview--it took 6 weeks or so for me to get mine, which was necessary for my case.

Hello There,

THank you for the input, However, if I don't get a letter from the Selective Service, Do I have to attach some sort of a letter explaining on why I did not register with Selective Service?

Thanks

No. Like I've said, if your adjudicating officer knows what he or she is doing, you have nothing to explain as long as you present your travel history in details because he or she can see that you're never required to register.

A Status Information Letter is something you have to apply for from Selective Service yourself, they won't just mail you one. You are NOT required to get it, but just in case your adjudicating officer is inexperienced or something, you CAN get it after you submitted all other necessary files. If you apply right after submitting the files, you should get the letter before the interview--it took 6 weeks or so for me to get mine, which was necessary for my case.

Ok Thank You,

And can this letter be applied online, or one has to go in person to get that.

Thanks,

Timeline

You can download the form online, but you have to mail it in. You also need to present your travel history in details with Selective Service too.

You can download the form online, but you have to mail it in. You also need to present your travel history in details with Selective Service too.

To make my life easier, I would just answer NO to the question#44 on N400

"Are you a male who lived in the United States at any time between your 18th and 26th birthdays? (This does not include living in the United States as a lawful non-immigrant)"

And also, just keep the following question on the checklist UNCHECKED "

"if you did not register for selective service and you (1) are a male, (2) are 26 years or older, and (3) lived in the United States in a status other than as a lawful nonimmigrant between the ages of 18 and 26 send a status Infformation letter "

That should work right ?

I don't have all the dates on when I entered to US on B2 visa prior to getting my Green card, so it will be a lot of digging for my entry/exit records as asked by thenm

Timeline

That's the only way for you to answer that question anyway, because you are NEVER here as an immigrant between 18 and 26, but try your best to find your travel docs while waiting for the interview in case the officer wouldn't take your word for it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.