20 posts in this topic

ok thanks,

i was trying to help my wife (the sponsor) by filling out the i-864 form and just have her sending me the signature page. Also if the joint sponsor makes a mistake, i wanted to fill it out again and just use his signature page.

But i guess that's not possible, as you said all the pages must have the same barcode

I had my husband send me the signature page. Since I've been here 3 years, I'd say it was just fine.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

The bar code at the bottom of each page will be different if you fill it out online. If you do it online, it encrypts your answers and converts them into the code at the bottom of the page. Since the answers are different on every page, the code is different on every page (different questions, different answers). When NVC (not USCIS as previously stated by someone on this thread) receives it, they scan that code at the bottom of each page and it adds your answers to the template they use. Much quicker.

If you fill it out by hand, the bar code won't work so it will take a little longer for them to input the data from the form.

If you are being asked to take an updated form to the embassy for interview, it won't matter how you fill it out as it will be looked at by the CO, not fed into a machine to be read electronically. Although filling it out with a computer certainly looks more professional and if your handwriting is like my husband's also makes it easier on the eye for the reviewer.

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

The bar code at the bottom of each page will be different if you fill it out online. If you do it online, it encrypts your answers and converts them into the code at the bottom of the page. Since the answers are different on every page, the code is different on every page (different questions, different answers). When NVC (not USCIS as previously stated by someone on this thread) receives it, they scan that code at the bottom of each page and it adds your answers to the template they use. Much quicker.

If you fill it out by hand, the bar code won't work so it will take a little longer for them to input the data from the form.

If you are being asked to take an updated form to the embassy for interview, it won't matter how you fill it out as it will be looked at by the CO, not fed into a machine to be read electronically. Although filling it out with a computer certainly looks more professional and if your handwriting is like my husband's also makes it easier on the eye for the reviewer.

This is actually what i'm thinking of doing. I'm worried that when my joint sponsor mails me the i-864 form,

he would have filled it in with bad hand writing.So what i want to do is type all his info in a new i-864 form and just use his signature page

This is actually what i'm thinking of doing. I'm worried that when my joint sponsor mails me the i-864 form,

he would have filled it in with bad hand writing.So what i want to do is type all his info in a new i-864 form and just use his signature page

What i did was type it out and have my husband send me that final page. I had already had him scan me the page because I did EP.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.