janamaria

Help with Taxes for my Affidavit of Support. Do I Need to File?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hey all you lovely people,

You are always so helpful, I massively, massively appreciate it! If anyone could help me out with this, that would be incredible!!

I am a USC but also a British Citizen and have lived in the UK my whole life (apart from 5 months living/travelling in the states around 10 years ago, I did apply for my social security number during this time incase I wanted to move over there in the future)

I am in the process of sorting out the Affidavit of Support form for my husband and the next step in our immigration timeline! We are using DCF at the London Embassy.

I see that question 18a is asking if you have filed a tax return for the last three years. I have never filed a tax return as I have never worked or lived properly in the USA so I just assumed I was exempt. Someone told me in another thread however that I still need to have filed. My questions regarding this are:

1) Do I need to file as someone who hasn't worked or lived properly in the US?

2) 2015-2016 I have been working as self-employed and haven't made enough to pay taxes here in the UK. Is there a similar thing in the US, that if I don't meet a certain threshold I don't have to file? Before being self-employed I was a student, again, does this mean I don't have to file for those years

3) In a different thread someone mentioned something about there being an income threshold for working abroad that also excludes you from filing, is that right?

4) If I do have to file, how on earth do I do it?? I have no idea where to start! Also, how long does the process take and is there a way to expedite it for our interview?

If anyone could help me out that would be incredible and hugely and sincerely appreciated.

Thanks!! :)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline

I want to know the answers also, waiting for a `captain` to answer :P

AOS, EAD
Spoiler

Sent (i-485, i-765) : 4 March '17

Received: 6 March '17

Noa1: 22 March '17

Hardcopy received: 25 March '17

I-485 RFIE: 29 March '17

RFIE response received: 19 April '17

Biometrics: 20 April '17

Service Request: 12 June '17 (100 days)

Answer: Case is in our current processing time 13 June '17

2nd Service Request: 3 July '17 (118 days)

New card is producing: 5 July '17 (120 days) NOTE* they didn't even assign someone to my Service request.

K1 
Spoiler

Sent : 6 June '16

Noa1 : 9 June '16

Noa2 : 18 August '16

NVC Received: 30 August '16

Case Number Assigned: 1 September '16

Interview date: 5 December '16

Missing papers: i-134 and police record. Gonna send ASAP.

Sent missing papers : 3 January '17

Ap : 5 January '17

Ap update and got mail that says documents received: 9 January '17

Ready and nonimmigrant visa: 13 January '17

Issued: 17 January '17

Visa in the hand: 18 January '17

POE: 26 January '17

Marriage Date: 3 February '17

TOOK  7 MONTHS

London should have IRS office do book an appointment with them to sort out your taxes.

Recommend you also look at your passport- last pages have obligations for citizens- filing taxes is one of them.

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

If you will PM me your exact total UK income earned during the last three tax years, I can give you specific info rather than writing pages of "if this, then that, but not if.....". Need specific amounts of gross income during the calendar year--well as close as you can get. It is reported Jan 1-Dec 31, so not the April to April you are used to.

Also need to know if you were married or single those years. Married during a year counts as married all year.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I want to know the answers also, waiting for a `captain` to answer :P

Hopefully some of these answers will be helpful to you too then :) Good luck with your visa journey! :)

London should have IRS office do book an appointment with them to sort out your taxes.

Recommend you also look at your passport- last pages have obligations for citizens- filing taxes is one of them.

Thanks so much for replying! Apparently the London embassy IRS office is closed, I just googled it. Was there another one you were thinking of? Is there not just a way to do it simply online? I don't live in London so it isn't easy for me and we have a really tight schedule to get this done by unfortunately!!

If you will PM me your exact total UK income earned during the last three tax years, I can give you specific info rather than writing pages of "if this, then that, but not if.....". Need specific amounts of gross income during the calendar year--well as close as you can get. It is reported Jan 1-Dec 31, so not the April to April you are used to.

Also need to know if you were married or single those years. Married during a year counts as married all year.

Thanks Nich-Nick, that would be incredible. I will PM you now.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.