mmadd636

Joint sponsor filing taxes late

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Poland
Timeline

I am using my father as a joint sponsor for my wife in the AOS process. He has yet to file for 2015 taxes. He has the paperwork done and ready. He is just trying to get around to get it all filed.

My questions are, do I need a tax transcript for 2015 if he is filing late?

Can he just use his 1099s and tax return paperwork instead of the tax transcript as long as he has indeed filed?

Is there a deadline to an NVC checklist if indeed they want a tax transcript?

Does anyone know how long it takes for the IRS to be able to issue a late tax return transcript?

I've read the instructions stating if he files late, he needs to submit a tax transcript but also read that its okay to send just photo copies of complete tax return.

I greatly appreciate any help. This is driving me up the wall.

Yes, you need information about his 2015 tax returns no matter what. If he is filing late, you would need to make a copy of his tax forms and his w-2's, and include a letter why he is filing late. Is he owed a refund? If so, that is good because he is not technically overdue on his taxes.

However, it is always better to include a tax transcript instead if you can. I filed my taxes late this year, too, as I was owed a refund, but I also needed to apply for an ITIN for my husband.

After all was said and done including overnight shipping of my tax forms, had my ITIN approved, my refund was approved, and I received my tax transcript, it took about one month. Maybe your time would be less if you hurry since he does not need to apply for ITIN like me (which slowed the process). Just keep in mind that you can not request a tax transcript until your tax return has been approved.

Hope this helps!

Edited by jacklynriquelme

Married: 5-July-2015
I-130 Petition Sent: 11-May-2016
NSC Received (Our Priority Date): 12-May-2016
NOA2 Received: 30-September-2016 141 days for I-130 approval
NOA2 Hard Copy Received: 06-October-2016
Petition Sent to NVC: 17-October-2016 17 days for petition to be sent to NVC
NVC Received: 21-October-2016 4 days to be received at NVC
NVC Case Number Assigned: 31-October-2016 10 days for case number to be assigned
NVC Welcome Letter Received: 3-November-2016 @ 12:10 AM 3 days from case number assigned until Welcome Letter received and invoices unlocked
IV and AOS Fees Unlocked: 3-November-2016 @ 7:00 AM
IV and AOS Fees Paid: 3-November-2016
DS-260 Unlocked: 7-November-2016 2.5 business days for DS-260 to be unlocked
DS-260 Submitted: 8-November-2016
AOS and IV Documents Sent: 9-November-2016
Scan Date: 14-November-2016 5 days to receive scan date due to a holiday/weekend
Medical expedite requested: 14-December-2016
Medical expedite approved at consulate: 19-December-2016 Expedite approved with consulate but denied at NVC; still need to wait for case complete
Case on Supervisor Review: 22-December-2016
Case sent to the Review Department: 13-January-2017
Case Complete: 24-January-2017     10 weeks and 2 days at NVC before case completed
Case arrived at consulate/CEAC status "Ready": 1-February-2017
Interview: 21-February-2017   We scheduled our own interview because we had an approved medical expedite with the consulate. By sheer luck we got such a quick interview date because someone cancelled their appointment less than 20 minutes prior
Interview Result: Approved!!
Visa Issued: 21-February-2017     Visa issued same day as interview
DHL tracking information received: 22-February-2017     DHL tracking number appeared 28 hours after interview, scheduled for delivery the next day
Visa in hand: 23-Feb-2017
US POE (Minneapolis): 26-Feb-2017

P.S. You need to continuously check your refund status on the Where's My Refund website (https://www.irs.gov/refunds). Once it says "return approved" you can then go to the tax transcript request site (https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript) and choose "request transcript." If he owns a home and has a cell phone plan in his name, you can get it online immediately. Or, you can request it by mail, and it only takes a week or so.

NVC Case Number Assigned: 31-October-2016 10 days for case number to be assigned
NVC Welcome Letter Received: 3-November-2016 @ 12:10 AM 3 days from case number assigned until Welcome Letter received and invoices unlocked
Scan Date: 14-November-2016 5 days to receive scan date due to a holiday/weekend
Medical expedite approved at consulate: 19-December-2016 Expedite approved with consulate but denied at NVC; still need to wait for case complete
Case Complete: 24-January-2017     10 weeks and 2 days at NVC before case completed
Interview: 21-February-2017   We scheduled our own interview because we had an approved medical expedite with the consulate. By sheer luck we got such a quick interview date because someone cancelled their appointment less than 20 minutes prior
DHL tracking information received: 22-February-2017     DHL tracking number appeared 28 hours after interview, scheduled for delivery the next day

Timeline

P.S. You need to continuously check your refund status on the Where's My Refund website (https://www.irs.gov/refunds). Once it says "return approved" you can then go to the tax transcript request site (https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript) and choose "request transcript." If he owns a home and has a cell phone plan in his name, you can get it online immediately. Or, you can request it by mail, and it only takes a week or so.

I greatly appreciate your response. So if he files now, and gets approved or accepted, I can request a transcript right after? He owns his own business so no W-2s. He has 1099s. I'm just worried about him filing taxes, and it taking a long time to get a transcript. I've read somewhere it can take a while for late filers.

Yes, you can request a transcript the minute the return is listed as approved on the IRS website :)

In my experience, it was quite the opposite! They are much less busy now than during peak tax-season, so for me everything moved much more quickly. I have friends that waited several months for an ITIN, while I had my ITIN assigned, tax approved and transcript in hand within 35 days. My return was received on July 25th and I had my transcript in the mail on August 26th.

It took 7 days from the day I made the transcript request until it was in my mailbox.

In my opinion, he should file ASAP. At least you will have copies of everything and can show that he filed. Then, if need be, you can bring the transcript with you to the interview.

Timeline

Yes, you can request a transcript the minute the return is listed as approved on the IRS website :)

In my experience, it was quite the opposite! They are much less busy now than during peak tax-season, so for me everything moved much more quickly. I have friends that waited several months for an ITIN, while I had my ITIN assigned, tax approved and transcript in hand within 35 days. My return was received on July 25th and I had my transcript in the mail on August 26th.

It took 7 days from the day I made the transcript request until it was in my mailbox.

In my opinion, he should file ASAP. At least you will have copies of everything and can show that he filed. Then, if need be, you can bring the transcript with you to the interview.

I'm not sure if he will owe anything or not. He says he will hopefully not owe this year.

Did you file electronically or by mail?

If he owes money, then he would have needed to file an extension letter. If he has his paperwork done and ready like he says, then it should state right at the bottom if he owes or if he is due a refund. Again, if he is due a refund, then he doesn't have to worry about the deadline, so that is good news! You should figure out that portion first. But, either way, if you end up needing to send a copy of the return instead of the transcript, then you MUST write a letter in your packet explaining why taxes were not yet filed or why there is not yet a transcript available.

I did my taxes by mail this year. I was not allowed to file electronically as it was the first year applying for an ITIN for my husband.

Timeline

I have not received a case number from NVC yet but this whole situation has made me so worried. I don't want to have to search for a new joint sponsor. I also don't want to add 2+ months on the whole process.

I will get him to file and hopefully our process goes as fast as yours. So stressful.

I'm glad to help! I was nervous, too. But it all worked out. Just keep plugging away :) I wish you the best on your journey!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.