Jump to content

AOS after K-1 marriage: i-864 or i-864a for joint sponsor?

3 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts


I'm submitting this question because my situation differs slightly from others who have asked.

I am gathering documents for my AOS and must submit the affidavit of support forms. My husband's income does not meet the requirements, so we must use his mother as a joint sponsor. However we live in the same home as her, so she is a household member.

I know I need to submit an i-864 for my husband, but will I need to submit an i-864 or an i-864a for my mother-in-law? Or both forms?

Thank you!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

~Moved from K1 Process to Fam.-based AOS Forum~

~Inquiry about AOS-related process, past K1~

(mod hat off)

:guides: easily accessible at the top of the forum page. In particular, the K1 AOS Tip Sheet: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1aos

Good luck on your immigration journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

> Almost 2 years of our lives involved with the USCIS/DOS "shuffle" & worth every second of it ! <

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca


:idea: Read more, post less.... Google can be your friend ! :idea:

Prior apologies if I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Keep your timeline current: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not really unique situation. It has been asked quite a few times.

If using the mother as a qualifying household member, then she would supply an I-864A to go along with the USC petitioner/sponsor's I-864. If the mother is acting as the joint sponsor, then she supplies her own separate I-864. Just because they reside together does not mean she must only be used as a qualifying household member. She can still be the joint sponsor.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ%20-%20Ciudad%20Juarez.pdf

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.