Jump to content

Birth Certificate Question...

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Sorry for all the questions.

My birth certificate had to be replaced as mine was damaged in a flood in 2009. I have a replacement and it's just under half the size of a full sheet of paper, made of a type of polymer and it looks similar to this:


Mine also includes a lot more info than the example, such as who my parents are and where they were born.

Is this the "full birth certificate"?





Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

See: https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/fees/reciprocity-by-country/CA.html


Births are registered in the Canadian provinces or territory in which they took place. Though each province or territory issues its own certificates for these events, there are a few basic formats for them across Canada:

  • The "small" or "short form" certificate is a computer-printed, limited extract of information from provincial records. It is a wallet-sized card, 9.5 x 6.4 cm or 2.5 x 3.75in (Specimen from British Columbia). Short-form or small certificates are not acceptable for visa purposes because they do not contain enough identification information, such as parents' names.
  • The "large" or "full-size" certificate is a computer-printed extract of information from provincial records. It is printed on currency-style paper stock, 21.6 x 17.8 cm or 7 x 8.25 in., with an intaglio border (Specimen from British Columbia).
  • A "certified copy of a record" is an exact or near-exact copy of the actual paper record in the provincial archives. It is printed on safety paper, usually 21.5 x 28 cm or 8.5 x 14in., and bears the province or territory's raised seal. This type of certificate, being a complete record rather than an extract, contains the most information about the event.
  • A "commemorative" certificate is a decorative document intended for display (Specimen from Manitoba). Commemorative certificates are not considered legal documents in Canada and are not acceptable for visa purposes.
Applicants should obtain "large" certificates or certified copies of a registration from the Office of the Registrar General in Toronto (Macdonald Block, 900 Bay Street, second floor, tel: 416-325-8305) or at Ontario Land Registry Offices and Government Information Centers located throughout the province.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes that's the full birth certificate. Mine from BC, obtained 2012, looks like that with parents names on it.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.