zilchfox

Birth Certificate Question...

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Sorry for all the questions.

My birth certificate had to be replaced as mine was damaged in a flood in 2009. I have a replacement and it's just under half the size of a full sheet of paper, made of a type of polymer and it looks similar to this:

http://salamtoronto.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/salamtoronto_2015-03-12_18-35-24.jpg

Mine also includes a lot more info than the example, such as who my parents are and where they were born.

Is this the "full birth certificate"?

03-19-2021: Officially an American Citizen 🇺🇸 Entire journey from initial K-1 Visa filing to Naturalization took 5 years, 8 days.

You can see my complete timeline by clicking here.

See: https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/fees/reciprocity-by-country/CA.html

Birth

Births are registered in the Canadian provinces or territory in which they took place. Though each province or territory issues its own certificates for these events, there are a few basic formats for them across Canada:

• The "small" or "short form" certificate is a computer-printed, limited extract of information from provincial records. It is a wallet-sized card, 9.5 x 6.4 cm or 2.5 x 3.75in (Specimen from British Columbia). Short-form or small certificates are not acceptable for visa purposes because they do not contain enough identification information, such as parents' names.
  • The "large" or "full-size" certificate is a computer-printed extract of information from provincial records. It is printed on currency-style paper stock, 21.6 x 17.8 cm or 7 x 8.25 in., with an intaglio border (Specimen from British Columbia).
  • A "certified copy of a record" is an exact or near-exact copy of the actual paper record in the provincial archives. It is printed on safety paper, usually 21.5 x 28 cm or 8.5 x 14in., and bears the province or territory's raised seal. This type of certificate, being a complete record rather than an extract, contains the most information about the event.
  • A "commemorative" certificate is a decorative document intended for display (Specimen from Manitoba). Commemorative certificates are not considered legal documents in Canada and are not acceptable for visa purposes.
[...]
Ontario:
Applicants should obtain "large" certificates or certified copies of a registration from the Office of the Registrar General in Toronto (Macdonald Block, 900 Bay Street, second floor, tel: 416-325-8305) or at Ontario Land Registry Offices and Government Information Centers located throughout the province.

Yes that's the full birth certificate. Mine from BC, obtained 2012, looks like that with parents names on it.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Perfect, I should be good in this situation then. Thanks!

03-19-2021: Officially an American Citizen 🇺🇸 Entire journey from initial K-1 Visa filing to Naturalization took 5 years, 8 days.

You can see my complete timeline by clicking here.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.