4 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Hello everyone, I do have a question about affidavit of support and I hope someone with experience can help me, I am in the u.s on a k1 visa and I'm about to file my AOS, do we need a co sponsor or not?

My wife is on a full time job since last year July and she makes $15 an hr. Last year she didn't earn that much cuz she was still in school and her earnings were low. So now that she's earning a lot but that is going to appear on her IRS for next year what can I do? A co sponsor or her last year tax plus proof of her current job and how much she's making? Thanks M

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

$15 times a standard 40 hour work week x 52 = $31;200, so if her income is current and ongoing, it is enough. If she had the job less than 6 months, USCIS may be weary but with a year in the same job she should be fine; provide several paystubs and a letter from the employer.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

Madieu,

My wife (who is the sponsor on the I-864) makes a similar amount as yours, which is well above the threshold for an household of 2. However she had been in the job for only a month when we initially filed the AOS, and was well below the threshold the previous 3 years (being a student). We received a RFE stating that the income is insufficient so we got a joint sponsor with a stronger financial situation, and mailed his I-864, Federal tax returns, Schedules, W2, and proof of citizenship.

They also asked us to provide my wife's Federal tax returns, W2, schedules, etc. Despite us providing the Federal tax transcript in the first place. Not sure why, I thought the transcript were sufficient on their own.

We just mailed the RFE docs back and hope it will be fine.

Good luck

Edited by La Bête

AOS from K-1

Posted: Jul 8

NOA: Jul 14

Biometrics: Jul 26

RFE #1: Dated Aug 16, received Aug 20, posted Aug 22, received by USCIS Aug 24

Notification of approval of EAD: Sep 16

Reception of EAD card in the mail: Sep 30

RFE #2: Dated Dec 2, received Dec X, posted Dec Y

AOS Notice of Approval: dated Dec 12, received Dec 17

Card mailed: Dec 15

Card received: Dec Z

Timeline

Thanks La Bete, to be on the safer hand, we did get a co sponsor and we've mailed it to uscis last Friday and we hope they accept it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.