4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello:

What is required for driving in America for fiancé who just arrived on K1 from the UK?

How does the process work? How does the auto insurance work? Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

i believe it depends on the state lows. you should call your state DMV to check.

i personally am driving in AZ with an International Drivers License , my UAE license was sufficient too but my IDL had lower insurance rate.

as for auto insurance , if you drive your bride to be's care , she can add you as a driver on the insurance , premiums will go up a bit , but ain't so bad.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

As said it really depends on the state. Here in GA I was allowed to drive 30 days on my danish DL + international DL and after that I need a GA DL but I can't get that until I get my EAD.

So go to your dmv.com and under Florida and look at the rules.

Remember that International DL is good to have but it don't give you the same right still as if you/your fiancé were a visitor.

Hello:

What is required for driving in America for fiancé who just arrived on K1 from the UK?

How does the process work? How does the auto insurance work? Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks!

This is the official sight for Florida http://www.gathergoget.com

It will tell you what documents are needed to get a Florida license.

There is no such thing as an International Driver's License that gives someone the right to drive. There is an International Driving Permit which is an ID document to use with a foreign license. It translates the license into about nine different languages. Since the UK license is already in English, American law enforcement officers would not need a translation.

Normally American insurance insures the vehicle, not the driver. So if your vehicle is insured and you give him permission to drive it as a visitor, then it's covered. It he is going to be a regular driver they would want to add his name to the policy. My premium did not go up a penny. If your husband is a young driver under 25 or so, it may cost more. Call your agent and ask the questions.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.