9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kuwait
Timeline

Hello. My fiancee just recently arrived a few weeks ago and we're having some confusion/difficulty regarding her name. She doesn't technically have a first name and her passport/visa only has a last name. Her visa has her first name as FNU (first name unavalaible). Is there was for her to get her name rearranged?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

What is on her birth certificate? What did you list on the K1 forms? Did she apply for SS#? If so, what did they use? What will you put on your marriage license?

I'm not sure how to get it all taken care of, but I would think at marriage would be best especially if she's changing her last name. Maybe inquire then. Possibly change it through the courts, if necessary?

Edited by LionessDeon

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

What is the problem? What does she want to change her name to? If she is not changing her name, then it's correct for her to have FNU listed on her documents because she doesn't have two names and our computer systems must say FNU as the first name if there is only one name. LNU (last name unknown) is not accepted by many government databases.

My Convoluted Story (see my profile for more details)
Jun 2009 - Met on Facebook
Mar 2010 - Visited Morocco for the first time, got engaged
Dec 30, 2011 - Wedding in Morocco (5th visit)
I-130/CR-1 (first time around)
31 Aug 2012 - Priority Date (Vermont, transferred to NBC)
31 Dec 2012 - NOA2
27Jul 2013 - Broke up/Separation (while waiting for case complete at NVC)
9 Jan 2014 - Filed for divorce in US (never completed)
4 Apr 2014 - USCIS NOIR
May 2015 - Reconciliation
Nov 2015 - Vacation together in Spain (7th in-person visit with each other)
I-130/IR-1 (second time around)
4 Feb 2016 - Priority Date
19 Apr 2016 - NOA2

17 May 2016 - NVC Case Number Assigned

31 May 2016 - Sent AOS/IV package to NVC

5 Jul 2016 - NVC Case Complete

10 Aug 2016 - Medical Exam

25 Aug 2016 - Interview - APPROVED

1 Sep 2016 - Husband picked up his visa

Husband POE'd @ IAD - 5 November

Timeline

Thats cool. But she wants her current last name to be her first name because thats what she considers her first name and my name to be her last name. So how do we make that happen?

Timeline

Get married first, then

https://www.theknot.com/content/name-change-101

Google is your friend.

Edited by B&Z

31 Dec 2012 - NOA2
4 Apr 2014 - USCIS NOIR
19 Apr 2016 - NOA2

Timeline

So are the thousands of people standing by on my local friendly "help" forum. Appreciate your assistance.

And thats just for last name which defeats the purpose. Thats easy to do. We dont want to get rid of her other name. We need to change first name. Last name is easy.

Timeline

She doesn't have a first or a last name...she only has one name. In essence, you're adding a last name to her one name. For the purposes of systems and documentation, she's listed as FNU. You don't need to change her name from FNU to something else. FNU is not her/a legal name.

I give up, dude. For one thing, you're not even married yet and she can't change her name to yours until after you get married. For another thing, you're not willing to do any research on this for yourself and the best time/place to do it is when you're applying to get/getting married. How about asking the city clerk when you apply for a marriage license, or asking while you're getting your marriage registered after it's been finalized? It's not like they don't have any experience with people wanting to change their name after marriage and they can include her name change in the marriage documents, which you then take to all of the other places you need to change her name.

31 Dec 2012 - NOA2
4 Apr 2014 - USCIS NOIR
19 Apr 2016 - NOA2

Timeline

I have talked to customs, the social security office and the court house. Nobody knows. Not everyone is from places with frequent immigration or problems like this.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.