BobEggshell

Have some questions before I file CRBA

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

My wife is Thai and I am a US citizen by birth. Our daughter was born last year in Thailand (2015). I was not there for the birth as I was out of the country working. Both my wife and I are on our daughters birth certificate as her parents. They both live in Thailand. I live and work in the US and will be flying to Thailand next month for my daughter's first birthday.

I have submitted the I-130 packet for my wife's visa and now I am working on the CRBA for my daughter.

I have some questions that I need help with before I go to the embassy in Bangkok next month.

I have been going off of " " https://th.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/90/2016/07/checklist_consular_report_birth_abroad.pdf "

-On form DS-2029 section 24 it wants me to list "Precise Periods of Time in United States."

Can I just put "birth to present?" Or do they want me to split it up and put down each month trip I took outside the US? I can't remember all the precise dates, will months/years work?

-“Affidavit of Parentage, Physical Presence and Support” (DS-5507).

I don't need this right? It states "If the parents were not married at the time of the child’s birth and the father is the U.S. citizen, the father must also complete Form DS-5507 if the father will not be present." My wife and I were married when my daughter was born and I will be there at the embassy with them.

-“Application for a U.S. Passport” (DS-11).
Just print out the form and fill it out for my daughter? I know 2 passport photos and application fees are also needed.
-“Statement of Consent” (DS-3053).
I don't need this right? It states "This document is required for passport applications for children under the age of 16 if only one parent is appearing for the interview." Both my wife and I will be there.
-“Application for Social Security Card” (SS-5-FS).
Just like the passport, fill it out for my daughter, pay the fees and wait?
PROOF OF IDENTITY & PROOF OF CITIZENSHIP
I need clarification on this section.
-Child’s Thai Birth Certificate (and one photocopy). Please bring the original Thai Birth Certificate (issued by the Thai District Office, or Amphur) and one photocopy. For children born in Thailand, a Thai Birth Certificate is required.
My wife has our daughter's Thai birth certificate. So we need that AND one more THAI copy? Can I just make a regular copy at any print shop? Does it have to be an official copy? Can they make a copy at the embassy? Will we get the original copy back?
-Certified English Translation of Child’s Thai Birth Certificate (and one photocopy). Please bring the original certified English Translation and one photocopy.
My wife is working on getting English translations. But this states we need that AND a copy. Like the Thai version; can the copy be just any regular copy or does it have to be official? Will we get the original copy back?
-Photo identification for infants (and growth photos if a school-age child, if necessary). All children are required to have two passport photos, for infants this is sufficient identification. Growth photos are required for school-aged children and should begin as near to birth as possible, spanning to the present. Please print the child’s first and last names on the backs of all photos.
My daughter is 1 (one). Will the 2 (two) passport photos work? Or do I need more? If I need more, how many more?
-Evidence of parents’ U.S. citizenship. The U.S. citizen parent must have been a citizen at the time of the child’s birth. The U.S. citizen parent(s) must present his/her current passport and a photocopy of the bio page for each passport. We will accept a U.S. notarized copy of the current U.S. passport and its pages in lieu of the original. (Note: We only accept documents notarized by a U.S. commissioned notary).
Will any copy work? I have a photo copier sitting next to me right now; will that work? Should I get a notarized copy before I leave the US? I am assuming they aren't going to keep my passport, right?
-Passport/Identification document for non-U.S. citizen parent A non-U.S. citizen parent must bring his/her current (and any expired passports during date of conception) or another form of photo identification, such as a Thai ID card. Please bring the original ID and one photocopy of each.
This is my wife's Thai passport/Thai ID right? And like mine, can it be a normal photocopy? Or does it have to be official? And does she need an English translation? We had to get my wife's Thai passport translated when we got her US Tax ID number 6 years ago. Not sure if we have to do that again. I am assuming they aren't going to keep my wife's passport/ID, right?
-PHYSICAL PRESENCE/RESIDENCE IN THE UNITED STATES
More clarification is needed here also.
-Evidence of physical presence/residence, for U.S. citizen parent, in the case that only one parent is a U.S. citizen.
Will my last 6 years of US tax returns work for this? (2010 - 2015). Both my wife and I filed our US taxes jointly using my US address and her US Tax ID number in lieu of her SSN that she doesn't have yet.
-PARENTS’ RELATIONSHIP
More clarification is needed here too.
-Parents’ marriage certificate, if applicable (and one photocopy) Please bring the original marriage certificate, a certified translation, and one photocopy. For marriages in Thailand, we require a registered Thai Marriage Certificate.
Just like my daughters birth certificate. We need the original Thai AND a copy. Can that copy be a regular copy or does it have to be official? Same with the English translation, can that be a normal photo copy? Will we get the original copy back?
-BLOOD RELATIONSHIP
Clarification here also please!
-Evidence of the couple’s physical presence in the same location at the time of conception (and one photocopy) To determine time of conception, subtract nine (9) months from the child’s date of birth. Please bring your original passports during time of conception, and flag and photocopy those passport pages with stamps during the time of conception. You may bring a notarized copy of the U.S. passport and its pages in lieu of the original.
Will a regular normal photo copy work? I'll have my passport with me. Just need to know if I need to get the copy notarized. I am assuming they aren't going to keep my passport, right?
-Medical records for the mother during pregnancy (ultrasounds, etc.)
All my wife's medical records are in Thai. She went to a Thai hospital in Thailand. Will that be ok? It doesn't say anything about translations. She has all the ultrasounds, pictures of her getting bigger and all the doctor stuff. Do we get all the original documents back?
Ok, that is everything. I know it's a lot and a real big post. If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it. I mainly just need clarification on what exactly we need when we go to the embassy next month. I don't want to stand there in Thailand going, "doh, that one thing is on my desk in the United States half way around the planet."
Edited by BobEggshell

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

BobEggshell,

Its so simple. Just follow the instructions on the CRBA Checklist, and you will be good to go.

Thats exactly what I did in Vietnam @ the US Consulate in HCM. Once my checklist was finished, I scheduled an appointment, and 2 days later I was at the consulate filing the CRBA documents. I followed the directions on the checklist (although some portions weren't clear cut and dry), and within 2 weeks I received my sons US Passport, and CRBA Certificate. Now my case may be a fast one, or not (not sure), but it didn't require legal assistance.

First off, they will not accept your application unless the checklist is complete. Depending on who you talk to, they may or may not offer verbal assistance. The same document may be required for different applications, so make sure you have the correct number of photocopies, and the original for them to verify. They will return all originals to you on the spot, and stamp and certify that the photocopies are of legitimate original documents. After that you pay the fees, pay for the return shipping, and your good to go. Because I'm OCD and paranoid, I did a follow up call to see the status of my documents and if there were any issues - the CO assured me had their been any issues we would've known at the appointment.

Now for the particulars:

If you've obtained your child's BC then your in good shape. If not then you may have to goto the Mother's hometown to register for the BC at the hometown's registrar.

The fees in total, including CRBA processing, US Passport, and SS Card was less than $300USD.

Things to get done before your CRBA Appointment:

CRBA Portion

- You will need certified translations of the following documents if not in english: Child's BC, Mother's BC, and Marriage Certificate. There are a few translation services online. Do your due diligence and research the companies before you choose. In my case I paid about $75 to have all 3 documents translated and certified.

- CRBA (DS-2029): Fill it out, but don't sign until in front of a CO.

- Evidence of USC Parent's citizenship before the child was born: A US Passport issued prior to the birthdate of your child will suffice here

- Non-USC Parent's Passport/ID: Generally don't need a translation, unless the passport is issued by a country other than the country you are applying for your CRBA at

- Marriage Certificate: get it translated.

- Divorce and Annulment decree/Death Certificates: self explanatory. Provide originals with certified translations if applicable.

- Evidence of Physical presence in the US: Provide proof for 5 years of physical presence in the USA. Easiest method (if you've worked in the USA), is to goto your local SS office and ask for your SS Statement, and your Tax transcripts at your local IRS office. Other methods: academic records, official school transcripts, tax records

- Evidence of concurrent physical presence of both parents together outside the US: What they really want to see is that you and your SO, or BM where in the same place at the time your child would've been conceived - or about 9-10 months before your childs birth date. Generally plane tickets, hotel bills, tour receipts, Entry/Exit stamps will be enough to demonstrate concurrent presence.

- Evidence of Child's birth/pre-natal records: Pictures of the BM/SO when she's pregnant, Ultrasounds, doctors bills, etc will suffice.

- Evidence of name change - do what you must do to provide this evidence...

Passport Portion:

- Fill out form DS-11 (Passport application) Do not sign until in presence of CO

- Provide 2 Passport photos 5cm x 5cm

- If both parents can not be present at the CRBA appointment, then the non-attending parent must sign and notarize a Statement of Consent (DS-3053).

Social Security Portion:

- Complete the SS-5 application.

I've basically paraphrased the CRBA Checklist, nonetheless I hope this helps. Remember: only fill out documents that pertain to your case. For example if you or your spouse have never married before, then divorce decrees don't apply.

Our Timeline:

Met the woman of my dreams: 7/5/2014

Married the woman of my dreams: 1/18/2016

First child with wife born: 6/6/2016 (yay!)

K-3 to CR-1 Visa Processing:

4/11/2016:   I-130 Sent

4/13/2016:   NOA1

8/26/2016:   NOA2

9/20/2016:   NVC Receipt 

10/4/2016:   NVC Case # Assigned (My birthday woohoo!)

10/4/2016:   Submit DS-261 

10/5/2016:   DS-261 / AOS / IV Bill Recieved
10/6/2016:   Paid AOS & IV Bill

10/7/2016:   Send AOS & IV Package 

12/15/2016:  CC @ NVC 

12/28/2016:  P4 Received 

12/9/2016:   Interview Date Received for 2/9/2017

2/9/2017:     Interview Result: Approved

2/14/2017:   CR-1 Visa Received (Visa in Passport)

2/21/2017:   US POE Entry @ LAX

*Sarcastically* Trucking along thanks to the dedicated and hardworking individuals at the NVC. Brings me delight to finally be able to say, the light at the end of the tunnel is near.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Update!

My daughter has her CBRA her US passport and US SSN card now.

I scheduled an appointment at the embassy in Bangkok. Then then emailed me a checklist of everything that is needed.

I filled out everything and got all the required documents.

At the embassy I gave them our original marriage certificate and translated copy. My daughters birth certificate and translated copy. I also had my passport and my wife's passport. We make photocopies of everything.

They kept the copies and gave back the originals.

They did not need my wife's medical records when she was pregnant like the check list required.

They only asked for one (1) passport photo for my daughter.

We had to raise our right hands and verify everything was accurate in the documents. They also asked me where I went to High School. Then they asked (in Thai) to my wife how long we had been together.

2 weeks later I had my daughters passport in hand. 3 weeks for SSN to arrive in the mail.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Thanks for the update!

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.