~Farasha~

How to Prepare for Citizenship Interview? (Divorce After K-1)

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hello,

I came to the USA on a K-1 visa in 2010 and was married to my USC ex-husband for close to 5 years. I had been eligible to file based on the 3-year rule being married to him, but didn't think it was a top priority thinking we would be together forever and that I could just file any time. Well, long story short we divorced in August 2015.

I applied for citizenship based on the 5-year residency rule in May 2016. I am not prepared at all for my interview (hopefully coming up soon). What documents should I bring with me? should I bring pictures and statements from family and mutual friends that the marriage was in good faith like I have included in my previous K1, AOS, and ROC applications?

I'm kind of lost... A list of things to prepare would be extremely helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Your citizenship has nothing to do with prior marriage.

So why would you bring anything of his?? I think all you will need may be the divorce decree. (Just for relationship status).

Being in good standing marriage is irrelevant. Being a good citizen clear bci, filing yearly taxes these are good things to bring.

:girlwerewolf2xn: Ana (L) Felix :wub:

K1 March Filer 2016

Interview Approved August 19, 2016

POE September 25, 2016

AOS November Filer 2016

DISCLAIMER: Please excuse my ABC & Gramm@r I am not an editor...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hungary
Timeline

You did K-1, AOS and ROC. USCIS looked at your past relationship 3 times and determined it was bona fide 3 times.

Bring your divorce decree. Maybe you'll be asked a coup,e of questions about your marriage/divorce, maybe not.

Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011

GREEN CARD ARRIVED 12/31/2011

Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014

10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED 05/06/2014

N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Divorce decree and that's it. I was divorced when I applied for the citizenship (5 years).

They just asked me when I was married and when I got divorced.

The lady who conducted the interview didn't seem interested to find out why I got divorced. Perhaps because I was applying under the 5 year rule.

I highly doubt they will ask more than that.

Citizenship process

12/15/2012: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

12/26/2012: NOA received

01/14/2013: Biometrics Appointment

10/18/2013: Placed in line for the interview

02/16/2013: Yellow letter received

02/19/2013: Interview letter received

03/20/2013: Interview/test

03/20/2013: Passed!!!!!

03/25/2013: Placed in the oath scheduling que (time to wait for the oath ceremony date)

04/05/2013: Oath ceremony schedule and notice its on its way!!!!

04/10/2013: Received oath ceremony letter

04/24/2013: Oath ceremony at 7:00 am!!

06/27/2013: Got married

11/14/2013: AOS package sent

11/18/2013: Package received

11/20/2013: USCIS email notification

12/16/2013: Biometrics appointment

01/15/2014: Got appointment letter

02/18/2014: Passed the interview

02/18/2014: Case approved!!!

02/22/2014: Got welcome letter

02/24/2014: Green card was mailed (time to wait)

01/21/2016: Petition to remove conditions sent

02/04/2016: CR-89 received, fingerprint appointment scheduled

08/02/2016: Status updated: "New card is being produced"

08/04/2016: Status updated: "We mailed your new card"

08/08/2016: Received new card, yayyyyy!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Lithuania
Timeline

I went for mine recently. Filed for the 5 year one but was Divorced last year. Suprisingly after the IO got to the page when going through the application, he asked me why i got divorced? ANd grilled me about it. Then he started asking me questions as if i was being interviewed for GC which i was not prepared at all. It caught me by suprise and at end of it, he told me decision not made.

All you need to go with is your Divorce decree but you need to be prepared incase you find an IO who feels the needs to question you on your previous marriage

Filed: Timeline

Hi tiredlongroad,

How long were you married with USC before you divorced?

Just to put everything in perspective..

you said you were divorced last year and filed under five year rule so you must have been qualified under three year rule too if you were married with the same person because based on your posting you were divorced when you were still married with the same person for more than 3 years.

Just curious if it is just divorce or something else could be popped up in your case? Every case is different but just out of curiosity if you don't have problem sharing your case.

What questions were asked from GC form? just curious..

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Lithuania
Timeline

Been married only once to same person for close to five years. I was questioned about why I divorced him of which I explained. He didn't seem satisfied with my reason for divorce. I told him the main reason and said and other issues. He asked what other issues. I listed them. He then told me he needs time to go through my paperwork. I guess GC. However I think the issue might be our living/residence issue which we declared during my GC interview. At which point he had moved into a rehab, so we were 'living' together but he was in rehab for a couple of months. This is information we volunteered and let the IO know upfront. besides that I can't see anything else. My ex and I both have a clean background, his rehab was for alcohol not illegal drugs. I later learned he had been ordered by a judge to do a paternity test but that has nothing to do with me. It was part of the reason our marriage broke up.

Filed: Timeline

TiredLongRoad,

Hope this is a small bump on this long tedious journey and i think eventually whole ordeal will be over. I am not sure why IO is going after your previous marriage. Nothing prevents them going back and questioning your previous marriage since the GC was via USC. I would be patient and probably start collecting as much doc as i can to show that the marriage was nothing but a legit one. Over 50% i.e 1 out of 2 marriage falls apart in US. I think the only question is were you in a legit relationship when you received your GC? And of course because you have already removed your condition.. So nothing to worry about much. I am not a lawer just my personal opinion.

Please keep on posted on our second interview and let us know how it goes.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.