vanee

Why did you decide to apply for US citizenship at this time?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

We all have our reasons for wanting to become US citizens. But why now?

For some people, now is probably the earliest that you were eligible to apply. But if you were eligible before, is there a reason that you chose now to apply?

I'm wondering because of what's happening in this country. Immigration has become a political issue in the upcoming federal election. While the focus is on illegal immigration, the word "illegal" is often left out of the discussion. And once we become US citizens, we can vote.

I applied to become a US citizen in May because I want to be able to vote in the November federal election. I want to become a US citizen for other reasons too, but the timing is because I really hope that I'll be able to vote this year. Was this one of your reasons too? Or did you have other time-sensitive reasons?

K-1, AOS, ROC
2007, 2009, 2011

Naturalization

2016-05-17 - N-400 package sent

2016-05-21 - NOA1 (IOE receipt number)

2016-06-15 - Biometrics

2016-11-08 - Citizenship interview in Detroit: approved
2016-12-16 - Oath ceremony

We all have our reasons for wanting to become US citizens. But why now?

For some people, now is probably the earliest that you were eligible to apply. But if you were eligible before, is there a reason that you chose now to apply?

I'm wondering because of what's happening in this country. Immigration has become a political issue in the upcoming federal election. While the focus is on illegal immigration, the word "illegal" is often left out of the discussion. And once we become US citizens, we can vote.

I applied to become a US citizen in May because I want to be able to vote in the November federal election. I want to become a US citizen for other reasons too, but the timing is because I really hope that I'll be able to vote this year. Was this one of your reasons too? Or did you have other time-sensitive reasons?

I am sick and tired of Hillary and her democrats habibis falsely accusing Donald Trump being anti-immigrants. I dare anybody find one thing Trump said that is anti LEGAL immigrants .

I am not yet eligible to apply .but .... I would apply for US citizenship because:

1: sense of belongingness

2: I want to excise my right to vote. The same right in my native of Hong Kong is currently being suppressed and bullied by China.

3: N400 costs less than your iPhone, so why not?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

I applied as soon as I was eligible to. I've been living in the US for 13 years. My wife is American, our baby is born here, I've achieved lots of things that I wouldn't be able to achieve in my home country, and US feels like home for me for a while now. therefore, I didn't debate too much when I applied. These are the biggest reasons but I am not going to lie having a US passport will finally help me travel visa-free to a lot of countries. Having a GC helped with traveling to Canada and Caribbean freely however every time I wanted to travel Europe it sucked to gather zillions of documents to get the tourist visa. Now that I am a US Citizen, I could buy my ticket to London or Paris tonight and can fly tomorrow if I wanted to. In addition, Turkey allows dual-citizenship, nothing would change on that side either.

I am sick and tired of Hillary and her democrats habibis falsely accusing Donald Trump being anti-immigrants. I dare anybody find one thing Trump said that is anti LEGAL immigrants .

The only thing he has said against legal immigration is the whole "we have to take care of Americans first". That's about it.

Anyway, I became a US citizen because I am treated like a second class citizen in my birth country and have no allegiance to it. I have lived in the US for 9 years and applied when I became eligible. My birth country also does not allow dual citizenship so I will probably either have to finagle it, or let that passport lapse.

Edited by akihon

Adjustment of Status from H-1B, Family-Based
07/26/2012 - 10/18/2012: 85 Days from Application Received to GC Received.
Removal of Conditions
07/22/2014 - 11/14/2014: 116 Days from Application Received to GC Received.
Naturalization
02/03/2016 - 05/31/2016 : 119 Days from Application Received to Oath Ceremony.

I am a United States citizen!

My husband and I travel a lot, and it's such a hassle to apply for a visa every time. I also want to join the military, and I'm not getting any younger.

Being able to vote this election would be a very nice bonus.

I-130/CR1 DCF ~ US Embassy Seoul
May 10, 2013 - I-130 Filed
May 13, 2013 - Received E-Packet 3

May 14, 2013 - Received E-Packet 4

May 14, 2013 - Medical ~ Yeouido St. Mary's Hospital
May 16, 2013 - Interview ~ US Embassy Seoul
APPROVED!!

May 20, 2013 - Passport and Visa in hand

:star: Completed in 7 business days!! :star:

N-400 319(e) Overseas Naturalization ~ Frankfurt

July 6, 2016 - N-400 Sent with fingerprints

July 12, 2016 - N-400 Delivered

July 20, 2016 - NOA

Aug 17, 2016 - Interview Letter

Aug 18, 2016 - Interview and Oath PASSED!!

:star: Completed in 40 days!! :star:

(L) I AM NOW A US CITIZEN!! (L)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

The only thing he has said against legal immigration is the whole "we have to take care of Americans first". That's about it.

Anyway, I became a US citizen because I am treated like a second class citizen in my birth country and have no allegiance to it. I have lived in the US for 9 years and applied when I became eligible. My birth country also does not allow dual citizenship so I will probably either have to finagle it, or let that passport lapse.

There are more details (although not enough, unfortunately) on his campaign website. Check out the immigration section; it's almost all about illegal immigration except for the last 4 or 5 bullet points.

It mentions a reduction of accepted refugee numbers, a temporary freeze on employment based green cards, an increase in prevailing wage requirements for green card sponsorship, and a possible reduction in future employment based green cards.

You can see these as good or bad, but they will certainly affect legal immigrants.

To answer the OP... I live here, I work here, this is my home; since the US allows me the opportunity to become a citizen, I chose that path. Why now? The simple answer is eligibility, although I could have got a green card much sooner... educational opportunities ended up delaying that, but I applied when my 5 green card years were up.

Edited by JimmyHou

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

There are more details (although not enough, unfortunately) on his campaign website. Check out the immigration section; it's almost all about illegal immigration except for the last 4 or 5 bullet points.

It mentions a reduction of accepted refugee numbers, a temporary freeze on employment based green cards, an increase in prevailing wage requirements for green card sponsorship, and a possible reduction in future employment based green cards.

You can see these as good or bad, but they will certainly affect legal immigrants.

To answer the OP... I live here, I work here, this is my home; since the US allows me the opportunity to become a citizen, I chose that path. Why now? The simple answer is eligibility, although I could have got a green card much sooner... educational opportunities ended up delaying that, but I applied when my 5 green card years were up.

Oh I agree. I was being sarcastic, but "We should take care of Americans first" covers everything you just said.

Adjustment of Status from H-1B, Family-Based
07/26/2012 - 10/18/2012: 85 Days from Application Received to GC Received.
Removal of Conditions
07/22/2014 - 11/14/2014: 116 Days from Application Received to GC Received.
Naturalization
02/03/2016 - 05/31/2016 : 119 Days from Application Received to Oath Ceremony.

I am a United States citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

So I can travel and live outside of the US indefinitely...

But have a backup in case it all goes south...

Best of both worlds.

That's our reason as well. Hubbie does not think there will be a change in the White House after November as a third of the population (African American, Hispanics, and Asians) will automatically vote for the incumbent party.

[hi I'm new!]

I've had my green card since the 90s.. I travel a lot, sometimes stay out of the country for months and have considered relocating abroad but always worry.. I thought once I'd have the patience and time to do it, I'd do it. I decided to go for it literally one day reading the news and feeling quite outraged about what's been happening, I worry about this country and the world in general, we don't need more hate, so I want to make my small contribution to society and vote against Donald Trump.

"I am sick and tired of Hillary and her democrats habibis falsely accusing Donald Trump being anti-immigrants."

"I want to excise my right to vote."

- for the above two reasons.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.