vosovski

Need some help with our travel plan

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Trying to see if anyone had experience with similar situation that my fiancee and I are in.

My fiancee and I want to buy two-way tickets from Ukraine to Mexico, and use only Ukraine-Mexico flight.

Then we will buy flight&hotel package from US to Mexico, but use only return (Mexico to US) flight.

My first concern is getting the whole flight&hotel package canceled if we don't board US to Mexico flight. Is this true? Who can I check with to get an answer? I will be booking the package through expedia.

Now the explanation for why we wish to do it this way, you may skip this part if you couldn't care any less.

Once my fiance enters US with her K-1 visa, we have to get married, file papers, and wait for them to arrive. Whenever my fiancee will be allowed to go to Mexico and return with no hick-ups it will already be late November/December (if not mid-winter).

Also for whatever reason buying two-way tickets is cheaper than one-way, hence the reason for abandoning return flight for Ukraine-Mexico flight and abandoning departure flight for US-Mexico.

Similarly buying flight&hotel package deals is cheaper, so we can't just buy two-way tickets for Ukraine-Mexico plus separate hotel in mexico and then change return flight to be Mexico-US.

3/24/2017 : AOS, EAD, AP mailed to Chicago, IL PO box

3/25/2017 : AOS, EAD, AP delivered to Chicago, IL PO box

3/27/2017 : AOS, EAD, AP picked up from Chicago, IL PO box

4/5/2017 : Received 3 NOA text messages

4/10/2017 : Received 3 NOA letters in mail. Notice date April 4 2017; Received date 3/27/2017

4/14/2017 : Received letter in mail for biometrics appointment. Scheduled on April 24th

4/24/2017 : Biometrics completed in 30 minutes, no problemo.

5/11/2017 : Status for AOS updated, RFIE

5/15/2017 : Received RFIE letter. I-864 does not meet requirements

5/16/2017 : RFIE Response sent with co-sponsor's I-864 as well as copy of DS-3025

5/17/2017 : RFIE Response delivered and signed for

5/19/2017 : Status for AOS updated, RFIE response received

6/12/2017 : Filed online service request for I-765 (EAD)

6/14/2017 : Received response to I-765 (EAD) online service request. Case within processing time

7/10/2017 : Filed second online service request for I-765 (EAD)

7/18:2017 : Received response to second I-765 (EAD) online service request. Case is under review and decision or notice will be sent soon.

8/2/2017 : 75 days since USCIS received RFIE response. 

8/22/2017 : Interview for AOS is scheduled on September 27th, Portland OR office

9/1/2017 : EAD case status changed to new EAD card is being produced

9/6/2017 : AP case status changed to "Case was approved"

9/6/2017 : EAD case status changed to "Card was mailed to me"

9/9/2017 : EAD/AP combo card received in mail

9/27/2017 : AOS Interview: Approved

9/28/2017 : AOS case status changed to "New card is being produced"

10/2/2017 : AOS NOA Approval letter received in mail. Approval date 9/28/2017

10/4/2017 : Green Card mailed via USPS Priority Mail (info from USPS Informed Delivery)

10/6/2017 : Green Card received in mail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Your first ideas will work, Ukraine to Mexico.

Your second idea will not work, due to the reason you stated- if you do not use the outbound portion of your flight, the rest will be cancelled and you have no right to have it re-instated. I used to work for an airline, and that was done automatically, partially to avoid people buying returns when they wanted one ways, as prices are always market specific.

You might look into getting her close to the border (Tijuana or similar), crossing over by land, and then do an inside-USA package of hotel and flight to wherever is home.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Your first ideas will work, Ukraine to Mexico.

Your second idea will not work, due to the reason you stated- if you do not use the outbound portion of your flight, the rest will be cancelled and you have no right to have it re-instated. I used to work for an airline, and that was done automatically, partially to avoid people buying returns when they wanted one ways, as prices are always market specific.

You might look into getting her close to the border (Tijuana or similar), crossing over by land, and then do an inside-USA package of hotel and flight to wherever is home.

Thank you for the insight and confirming on the second idea not working.

I just don't know what to do... And the fact that I bought two way ticket to Ukraine and she will need a one way only to US makes it even more complicated.

Option 1:

I change my return flight to be Ukraine-Mexico and pay extra fees for the change ($600).

My fiance is getting two-way Ukraine-Mexico, but while in Mexico we change her return flight to Mexico-US. (probably around $600)

For me, I will just buy Mexico-US one-way for $400.

But then our stay in Mexico will not be a package deal, thus costing roughly 25% more...

Option 2:

We buy package trip to Mexico from Ukraine at reasonable price. Use both flights, then just buy my fiancee two way from Ukraine to US avoiding the return flight.

The only downsides are extra flight time that could be avoided if it weren't for damn rules and the fact that I already scheduled my return flight which may need to be changed ($600).

We didn't look at options vacationing in US, other than hawaii. And even hawaii is ending up expensive compared to mexico.

3/24/2017 : AOS, EAD, AP mailed to Chicago, IL PO box

3/25/2017 : AOS, EAD, AP delivered to Chicago, IL PO box

3/27/2017 : AOS, EAD, AP picked up from Chicago, IL PO box

4/5/2017 : Received 3 NOA text messages

4/10/2017 : Received 3 NOA letters in mail. Notice date April 4 2017; Received date 3/27/2017

4/14/2017 : Received letter in mail for biometrics appointment. Scheduled on April 24th

4/24/2017 : Biometrics completed in 30 minutes, no problemo.

5/11/2017 : Status for AOS updated, RFIE

5/15/2017 : Received RFIE letter. I-864 does not meet requirements

5/16/2017 : RFIE Response sent with co-sponsor's I-864 as well as copy of DS-3025

5/17/2017 : RFIE Response delivered and signed for

5/19/2017 : Status for AOS updated, RFIE response received

6/12/2017 : Filed online service request for I-765 (EAD)

6/14/2017 : Received response to I-765 (EAD) online service request. Case within processing time

7/10/2017 : Filed second online service request for I-765 (EAD)

7/18:2017 : Received response to second I-765 (EAD) online service request. Case is under review and decision or notice will be sent soon.

8/2/2017 : 75 days since USCIS received RFIE response. 

8/22/2017 : Interview for AOS is scheduled on September 27th, Portland OR office

9/1/2017 : EAD case status changed to new EAD card is being produced

9/6/2017 : AP case status changed to "Case was approved"

9/6/2017 : EAD case status changed to "Card was mailed to me"

9/9/2017 : EAD/AP combo card received in mail

9/27/2017 : AOS Interview: Approved

9/28/2017 : AOS case status changed to "New card is being produced"

10/2/2017 : AOS NOA Approval letter received in mail. Approval date 9/28/2017

10/4/2017 : Green Card mailed via USPS Priority Mail (info from USPS Informed Delivery)

10/6/2017 : Green Card received in mail