TimsDaisy

Proposed Fee Increase PLUS VALUABLE USCIS DATA

82 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline
Um yeah...there is. I read it in the super duper document. What you have written here is a theory. I'm ENTITLED to my petition being adjudicated within 6 months. I am NOT ENTITLED to it being adjudicated in 3 months.

Really?

Show me that, please.

In the CFR - which is codified immigration law.

Or show me the reference to the CFR in the 'super duper document'.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Um yeah...there is. I read it in the super duper document. What you have written here is a theory. I'm ENTITLED to my petition being adjudicated within 6 months. I am NOT ENTITLED to it being adjudicated in 3 months.

Not quite:

2. Presidential Mandate To Eliminate

the Backlog

In FY 2002, the President called for an

average processing time standard of six

months for the adjudication of most

immigration benefit applications and

petitions to eliminate the backlog of

pending applications and petitions at

USCIS within five years (end of FY

2006). USCIS received a total of $460

million in appropriated funds for this

effort. At the end of FY 2006, the

backlog was significantly reduced from

a high of 3.84 million cases in January

2004 to 9,482 cases. Additionally, a sixmonth

processing time standard was

achieved for fifteen out of sixteen

Backlog Elimination Plan applications.

In some instances, such as

naturalization applications, USCIS

decreased processing times to below the

six-month goal. Table 3 sets out the

processing times (in terms of months)

for each application and petition as of

September 30, 2006. This fee rule would

provide the necessary resources to

maintain these processing time

standards and fund further

improvements to USCIS business

operations to continue to reduce

processing times while ensuring the

appropriate level of security.

[empahsis added]

If this is the source of your belief that there is a "requirement" for a 6 month processing time, you're giving too much credit to the term "goal" and "mandate" as they are used in the section heading here. There's a goal, that was achieved through the appropriation of addtional funds above what USCIS is, by law, to receive for its operation.

I don't believe there is either a statutory or regulatory "requirement" as such to process all petitions within 6 months. You're right that they have show that they CAN do so, and do so in less than 6 months. From a public policy standpoint, it would be nearly impossible to require a specific timeline for this sort of government service - especially given USCIS's particular funding framework.

And I still can't figure out exactly what it is here you're fighting - or why.

Edited by TimsDaisy

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-22-07 DHS cashes the I-129F check

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

1-26-07 NOA1 arrives in the post

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-3-07 NOA2!!! Two approval emails received at 11:36am

5-10-07 Arrived at NVC/5-14-07 Left NVC - London-bound!

5-17-07??? London receives?

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-26-07 Packet 3 received

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-06-07 Medical in London (called to schedule on May 29)

6-11-07 "Medical in file" at Embassy

6-14-07 Resent packet 3 to Embassy after hearing nothing about first try

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-25-07 DOS says interview date is August 21

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

7-06-07 Interview at 9:00 am at the London Embassy - Approved.

7-16-07 Visa delivered after 'security checks' completed

I-129F approved in 111 days; Interview 174 days from filing

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

*Be afraid or be informed - the choice is yours.*

Filed: Timeline

Really?

Show me that, please.

That would be Chapter III. Section C.(2) of the Super Duper Document

Really?

Show me that, please.

As I said, show me the mandate in the CFR.

Show me where they took the President's mandate and codified it. Where they made it the law.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
:pop: soo... is the fight over?

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

About fighting-I don't wish to sound like a 'pollyanna', but seriously- we do not need to spar so much and post with such sarcasm. This visa process is difficult enough. OK- some some of us read things differently than others, or respond differntly.

Can't we be a little nicer?

K-1

July 27 2006 Met/Fell in love on a sailing trip in Turkey

March 2 2007 Mailed I-129F Overnight Express

March 15 2007 NOA2 e-mail

March 21 2007 spoke with NVC- case mailed today (via DHL) to Ankara

March 28 2007 Packet 3 sent...(to me?) waiting

NEVER RECEIVED Packet 3- downloaded from Ankara website

May 14, 2007 Packet 3 sent to Ankara Embassy

June 13 2007 interview

May 21 appeal approved- interview rescheduled for 5 July 2007

5 July 2007 interview!

July 10- Visa in hand!!!

September 26 2007- Omer arrives JFK POE

November 23 2007- Married!

AOS

February 23 2008 Finally sent AOS to Chicago

March 4 2008 NOA1 for all 3 AOS documents (rcvd from Missouri Center?)

March 26 Biometrics

March 28 EAD touch

March 29 RFE- Birth Cert. translation :(

April 8- RFE received; case resumed processing (at National Benefits Center)

April 11- Case transferred to California Service Center

April 29 - EAD and AP approved... finally honeymoon in Mexico!

May 29- AOS approved e-mail received!!!!!!

June 7- Greencard arrived in mail!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

:lol:

Anna (Chicago) and Javon (Jamaica)

USCIS: I-130 Process

10/30/06 - Married to my loving husband

01/06/07 - NOA1 ($190)

05/16/07 - NOA2!!!!!

NVC: CR-1 Process

05/21/07 - NVC recv'd case (per rep @ NVC)

05/29/07 - NVC Assigned Case # (KNG2007******)

06/01/07 - Faxed change of address request to NVC

06/08/07 - NVC confirmed new address

06/18/07 - DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) & AOS (I-864) Fee Bill generated

06/23/07 - Recv'd DS-3032 & AOS Bill via snail mail

07/09/07 - Emailed DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) to NVC

07/19/07 - Mailed AOS Fee Bill ($70) to St. Louis, MO

07/19/07 - Recv'd email from NVC - Choice of Agent was accepted

07/23/07 - IV (DS-230) Fee Bill was generated

08/11/07 - Recv'd IV Fee Bill via snail mail

08/15/07 - Recv'd AOS Packet in the mail

.png

.png

MRS BILLY BONG,

"the President called for an average processing time standard of six months for the adjudication of most immigration benefit applications "

Average of 6 months. For most benefits. Hardly an entitlement of 6 months for your petition.

Don't overlook the qualifiers - they are important words.

Yodrak

Really?

Show me that, please.

Edited by Yodrak

:lol:

LOL.

There's no fighting, at least on my part. And I can't speak for the others but I doubt it was a 'fight'.

All I wanted to point out is there is - unfortunately - no LEGAL fire we can hold DOS/USCIS/DHS's feet too when it comes to processing a case. It's just a simple unfortunate fact.

It's my opinion that timelines and processing times sometimes cause a lot of us nothing but undue stress. They are, after all, just gauges.

Believe me, if there were legal recourse for this process, I would know about it. Take a look at MY timeline and you will understand where I am coming from.

And that's my story.....and I'm sticking to it. No offense meant to anyone.

Edited by rebeccajo

Timeline

Re:

Really?

Show me that, please.

See: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&p=794170

RE: higher fees for an expedited process for family-based petitions, that's a policy and political and P.R. no go. Would create 2d class filers who'd have to wait longer because of richer people getting their family here first. That's bad. And unfair. They exist for certain employment based visas - but there's a lot more palatable arguments available for that arena than for this one.

RE: the availability of legal recourse from timelines, processing times, etc. You're right, there isn't much legal recourse in the sense of having a framework through which to formally protest slower approval times. HOWEVER, since a common response from congressional offices is to look at the "Processing times" posted at the USCIS site, and say "well, you aren't even there yet, so call us back when that date passes," and we KNOW that those dates are hardly average, knowing that there are better indicators of what is really an AVERAGE processing time may prove useful in getting some 24-year-old congressional staffer to listen. They don't always know everything there is to know about immigration or visa times or what publications have recently come out from USCIS. Congressional staffers are handling the cases of hundreds of constituents at a time with many, many federal agencies (from Housing to Health to Veterans' Affairs, etc).

Action is good. Action with evidence is better.

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

This post pissed me off:

MRS BB: if you're happy going the wilful ignorance route, by all means, don't look up that document (which is written in plain, easy-to-understand language, with lovely charts, all to make sure that you John-and-Joan-Q-Publics have an understanding of the regulations which have A DIRECT BEARING ON YOUR LIVES).

p.s. whatever you do: if you have a problem or a concern over the proposed fee increase, by all means DO NOT read the proposal and for heaven's sake DON'T submit any comments or criticism. Then you'd actually be proactively working to better the process or at least be involved. It's FAR more effective just to sit on the boards all day and gripe to each other or express frustration than to get out there and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

Us Q Publics have a difficult time commenting on this ####### because its NOT easy to understand. (This is where YOUR day job comes in) I thought the idea of this large increase was ####### before I read it and I think its even more ####### after reading it. I'll tell you why Im entitled to adjudication in 6 months...because the poop rolls downhill. There's a President's $540 million dollar initiative to reduce this backlog. If the USCIS doesnt do its job it wont get a piece of the pie.

The President remains committed to ensure America welcomes the contributions of immigrants. The budget continues funding for the President’s multi-year $540 million initiative enabling U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services to reduce the backlog of applications and ensure a six-month processing standard for all applications by the end of 2006.

This is the reason Eduardo of the USCIS kisses ### with this message from the director statement in the USCIS Backlog Elimination Plan of 2004, " Thankfully we have the opportunity, the leadership, and the talent to make an impact. By the end of 2006, we will eliminate the application backlog and achieve six-month cycle times, and in doing so will deliver on the President's vision of "welcoming immigrants with open arms....not endless lines."

Section 451 of the Homeland and Security Act of 2002 gives authority to Ed to conduct this super plan which ended up as the Super Duper Document. The driving force behind my 6 month entitlement isnt necesarily a law (rebeccajo) its the money. (How unusual for the government huh?)

This post pissed me off:

MRS BB: if you're happy going the wilful ignorance route, by all means, don't look up that document (which is written in plain, easy-to-understand language, with lovely charts, all to make sure that you John-and-Joan-Q-Publics have an understanding of the regulations which have A DIRECT BEARING ON YOUR LIVES).

p.s. whatever you do: if you have a problem or a concern over the proposed fee increase, by all means DO NOT read the proposal and for heaven's sake DON'T submit any comments or criticism. Then you'd actually be proactively working to better the process or at least be involved. It's FAR more effective just to sit on the boards all day and gripe to each other or express frustration than to get out there and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

Us Q Publics have a difficult time commenting on this ####### because its NOT easy to understand. (This is where YOUR day job comes in) I thought the idea of this large increase was ####### before I read it and I think its even more ####### after reading it. I'll tell you why Im entitled to adjudication in 6 months...because the poop rolls downhill. There's a President's $540 million dollar initiative to reduce this backlog. If the USCIS doesnt do its job it wont get a piece of the pie.

The President remains committed to ensure America welcomes the contributions of immigrants. The budget continues funding for the President’s multi-year $540 million initiative enabling U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services to reduce the backlog of applications and ensure a six-month processing standard for all applications by the end of 2006.

This is the reason Eduardo of the USCIS kisses ### with this message from the director statement in the USCIS Backlog Elimination Plan of 2004, " Thankfully we have the opportunity, the leadership, and the talent to make an impact. By the end of 2006, we will eliminate the application backlog and achieve six-month cycle times, and in doing so will deliver on the President's vision of "welcoming immigrants with open arms....not endless lines."

Section 451 of the Homeland and Security Act of 2002 gives authority to Ed to conduct this super plan which ended up as the Super Duper Document. The driving force behind my 6 month entitlement isnt necesarily a law (rebeccajo) its the money. (How unusual for the government huh?)

Ed is now Emilio

Timeline

This post pissed me off:

Nice - but you left out YOUR comment that was the basis for MY comments - your comments being, several times, that you didn't want to get into a funky document that was long, whatever.

And my day job doesn't endow me with the magical gift of reading comprehension. My background - not day job - may give me insight into the public policy/legislative process, but I not now, nor have I ever been and expert on immigration law or regulation. I came at this process the same way you did. The feds go out of their way - they have to - to make sure these publications are written in plain English and are as readily comprehensible as possible.

The USCIS is out of pie - presidential or otherwise. It doesn't get pie for doing its job the way the president requested - it got pie so it COULD do that job in the time requested. The basic funding mechanism of USCIS doesn't come from other federal appropriations or presidential discretionary budgeting. It comes from fees. That's why they want a fee increase, so the fees match that one-time injection of cash they got under the backlog reduction funding. You're right that what made USCIS able to meet the 6 month goal was money, but it didn't MAKE them reach the goal.

And yeah, the government needs money to operate. Duh. It always has, it always will. It is not per se wrong for needing money. Its employees need to be paid, just like any of us need to be paid by our employers. The difference? Their jobs are likely even more thankless than most of ours.

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

Handy numbers:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.