NicolaRobert

Kinda newbie

5 posts in this topic

So, I realised that despite the amount of time I've spent on this site over the last year or so I never actually found this little place to introduce myself, and so I thought, what the hell, I should do that.

So, about us. Well, I'm from the UK and Hubby is from Michigan (Downriver). We actually met when we were both working on a teeny Carribean island. We worked at different resorts, at opposite ends of the island - but seeing at the island population was only 150 people it was inevitable that we would meet!

We lived together there for just about two years, and got married last August (nearly a year - eeek!). We knew we wouldn't be able to stay in the Cayman Islands forever (work permits only last a max of 9 years and when we met he'd been there over 6!). So after lots of discussions, going back and forth between the UK and the US we finally decided on the US. Mostly because he already owned a house in Michigan, and already had some promises of work should he return home.

So we began the process of getting my CR1.

It's been a slightly rocky road. It all started off great, and smooth as anything - getting my NOA2 within less than a month. We submitted everything else and then disaster. We had to leave the Cayman Islands earlier than expected. So we contacted the NVC asking them to change my interview location to London, as I'd have no choice but to head back home until everything was approved. We made the request in December 2015. It finally got changed at the end of June 2016. Every time I spoke to them they told me that it wouldn't take long, and it was such a simple thing, but somehow it took forever.

However, it finally happened, and was followed less than a week later with my interview appointment date. Which will be the 1st of August. So we are keeping our fingers desperately crossed that I will get approved and get my passport back in time to make it to the US in time for our 1st wedding anniversary on August 29th!

I may not have posted much on this site, but it's been my go-to place when I have any questions, or just needed reassurance that I wasn't the only person going through this. I might not contribute much, but I've read hundreds of threads, and gotten great advice without ever having to ask a question (because other people have normally done it for me first!).

I'm super excited to finally get to the US permanently. I keep popping over for visits, but it's not the same. Besides costing us an arm and a leg! We are so excited to settle into our lives together, start a family and all that stuff. But at the same time, the more I think about leaving the UK for good, the more nervous I get. I've travelled and lived abroad a lot, but in the back of my mind was always the idea that I would go home sometime. Now, hopefully, I will be settling for good. Scary times.

Anyway, I have rambled on for far too long. But hello to all. And thanks for all the great advice, even if you didn't always know you were giving it to me!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thanks for the nice introduction, and good luck with the process.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Welcome to the forum.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Welcome to VJ

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12