Marrienne

Freaking out (again)

33 posts in this topic

I'm sorry about your situation :( Out-of-touch (future) in-laws are something I definitely have experience in, as well as anxiety about financial stability and the future.

I sort of understand their concern as your sponsors, it does seem unfair that they are putting all the pressure on you to provide for your entire family the second you are on US soil. Finding a job isn't always easy and you are going to have a bunch of other things going on with settling in and they probably just don't understand that.

That being said, I think you may be psyching yourself out a little. I've been on a few of your posts and it seems like Greece has not been good to you of late. Even though things may be a little tense and uncertain right now, I hope you don't let the pressure take away from your looking forward to all the good things that can come from your new life here!

Good luck, and if you ever need someone to vent to you can always PM me. We are only a state and a bit of water apart after all!

~*INTENT IS DETERMINED AT POE*~

Forever wishing for an eye-roll reaction.

K-1 Visa~
9/28/2015 - I-129f Packet Mailed to Texas Lockbox
10/1/2015 - NOA 1 Email - I-129f sent to California Service Center
10/8/2015 - NOA 1 Hard Copy
10/27/2015 - NOA 2
11/21/2015 - Packet 3 Received
1/08/2916 - Medical! Lots of jabs >.>
2/23/2016 - APPROVED!
6/20/2016 - POE
7/29/2016 - Married ❤️

~*Approval 146 Days from NOA1*~

AOS ~
9/9/2016 - AOS/AP/EAD packet mailed to Chicago Lockbox
9/11/2016 - Delivered to Chicago Lockbox
9/20/2016 - Received Text/Email NOA1
9/23/2016 - Hard Copy NOA1s
10/12/2016 - Biometrics Appointment
11/04/2016 - AP Status "Approved" EAD "Date of Birth Updated"
11/18/2016 - Received EAD/AP Combo Card!
12/23/2016 - Received Green Card

~*Green Card 95 Days from NOA1*~

ROC~

10/12/2018 - Mailed ROC Packet

11/8/2018 - NOA-1 

7/5/2019 - Biometrics

~*STILL WAITING 607+ Days since NOA*~

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

I might be able to help....If your husband gets his Michigan DL, I know someone that will give him a tool route.....kinda like snap-on....also I have a few friends that may help you...I will talk to them

That's very nice of you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Husband doesn't work and I believe she said she's coming with 3 kids so college is out the window. She needs something I mean anything that can bring in legal income as soon as possible. It's sad she has to travel with such burden.

Yes, which is why I made several different suggestions, like substitute teaching, working as an aide, tutoring, translating...also it is much easier to get a preschool license through an inexpensive local community college which offers evening classes and she probably doesn't need much.

However, expecting a foreigner to immediately support the family is far reaching, while a U.S. Citizen obtaining temp work is much more feasible, whether he worked in the last 15 years or not. There are plenty of labor jobs here and this could relieve the pressure off of her if he is making some income, so she could take some classes. She could also advertise on Facebook and locally to make her photography business (this might be very lucrative). My husband came here with a teaching credential from his country, but got his start with absolutely no work experience here working through a temp agency doing manual labor, so it is possible. Her husband will be able to apply for social services as a U.S. Citizen for himself and the children, based on their limited income and this would give them medicaid and food stamps. She should also find out about help for childcare from the state. I was a single mom for a long time, and I had to work, send my children to daycare, and take classes to obtain my teaching credential. It is possible. I had to get a loan for school. That might be also a possibility if her in-laws will co-sign. They seem to be pretty generous. If she can become a teacher in Michigan, it would be a very nice job for her. Michigan has good benefits and salary.

event.png

K1 Visa
Event Date
Service Center : Texas Service Center
Consulate : Morocco
I-129F Sent : 2011-03-07
I-129F NOA2 : 2011-07-08
Interview Date : 2011-11-01
Interview Result : Approved
Visa Received : 2011-11-03
US Entry : 2012-02-28
Marriage : 2012-03-05
AOS sent: 05/16/2012
AOS received USCIS: 5/23/2012
EAD Delivered: 8/3/2012
AOS Interview: 08/20/2012.
Green Card Received: 08/27/2012

ROC Form Sent 07/17/2014

ROC NOA 07/24/2014
ROC Biometrics Appt. 8/21/2014
ROC RFE 10/2014 Evidence sent 1/4/2014

ROC Approval Letter received 1/13/2015

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.