popo1995

"Acc with mother" travel to US

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

Im unsure if this is the right section of the site to be posting this as im new to the site,

I have obtained a f12 visa from the US embassy in london on the 8th of June and on the passport it has a annotation that says "valid only if acc mother", i then travelled to the US on the 10th of June without my mum and was allowed entry, but i believe this was due to her already being in the US (as she travelled to NY on the 8th of June). Now i would like to book another holiday to the states but this time my mum wont be travelling to the US before me, the question i have is, am i allowed to travel without her accompanying me or being in the US before me.

I asked this question on the immigration subreddit site (https://www.reddit.com/r/immigration/)and a user replied with

"Those IVs' are your green cards. At least until the real one comes in the mail. The purpose is for you to move in and begin residence here. You have a year to get in, because we know that waiting for it takes time, as does uprooting and moving.

The (what we call) "principal alien" must enter, and have the IV processed first, then the F42 F12 F23 or F43 (whathave you) can be processed behind that. Once the principal alien is processed for the FIRST entry on an Immigrant visa, everyone else can come and go as they please.

TL;DR as long as your mothers was stamped once, you can travel back and forth alone."

Is this person correct?
Help is much appreciated

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

if you were petitioned by someone and given a visa, why aren't you living in the US? the purpose of a GC is to be living in the US

you can travel abroad without your mom, that stamp is for the first entry, your mom needed to come first or come at the same time with you

I'm confused why are you saying that you will be returning to the US for a holiday,

Filed: Timeline

hi

if you were petitioned by someone and given a visa, why aren't you living in the US? the purpose of a GC is to be living in the US

you can travel abroad without your mom, that stamp is for the first entry, your mom needed to come first or come at the same time with you

I'm confused why are you saying that you will be returning to the US for a holiday,

Hi, im not planning on moving to the US until i have finished my college degree next year, and i only got my immigration visa last month (the goverment is aware of this and my mum has filed out a form, forgot the name of it) , but a group of my college friends are planning on going to NY for a week.

But as you said the acc with mother is only for first entry i can travel back and forth, so thank you for this information.

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Handing over the package to border patrol and having fingerprints taken sounds an awful lot like the initial activation process, not the reentry permit.

OP, after you landed in the US and before you left, did you file a re-entry permit. This is separate to the process you went through at the airport.

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Resources/B5en.pdf

If you are planning to move within the next 12 months, the reentry permit isn't important but, if you are intending not to establish residency within 12 months, you could lose the Green Card. I think you need to read up on what the obligations are for a Lawful Permanent Resident. It's not a turbo-boosted tourist visa. You have responsibilities and obligations now.

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/rights-and-responsibilities-permanent-resident/rights-and-responsibilities-green-card-holder-permanent-resident

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.