aceveale

K-1 Visa POE unanswered question

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So just yesterday my fiancee got her K-1 visa approved in Montreal, but forgot to ask how the whole POE thing works. After looking online, what we do know is that they mail her passport and some papers back that she takes with her when she travels here, but what we don't know is how she has to travel. We had planned to drive from her home to mine, to bring all of her items, clothing, etc. But does she have to fly into the US from Canada? Is it okay to drive through the border as well instead? Will it cause issues if we cross the border into the US with all of her personal belongings, even with her K1? And lastly, can she fly/drive through any international airport/part of the border?

Thanks!

Timeline

So just yesterday my fiancee got her K-1 visa approved in Montreal, but forgot to ask how the whole POE thing works. After looking online, what we do know is that they mail her passport and some papers back that she takes with her when she travels here, but what we don't know is how she has to travel. We had planned to drive from her home to mine, to bring all of her items, clothing, etc. But does she have to fly into the US from Canada? Is it okay to drive through the border as well instead? Will it cause issues if we cross the border into the US with all of her personal belongings, even with her K1? And lastly, can she fly/drive through any international airport/part of the border?

Thanks!

I don't have an answer for you, but my fiancé and I have the same plan once I get approval so I'm interested in any responses you may receive. Good luck!

I-129F Sent: April 21st, 2016

NOA1: April 27th, 2016.

NOA2: Where are you?! :clock:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

There is no problem for you and your fiancée to drive across into the US. I drove across at the Queenston-Lewiston bridge in Ontario to Buffalo, NY in February of 2012 with all my personal belongings in my car and had no issues. I had made a list of all my personal property that I was bringing with me and they didn't even look at the documents. I was there roughly an hour and a half as they were not very familiar with the K1 visa at that particular border crossing. Good luck with your journey.

Timeline

I drove across at the Port Huron/Sarnia border crossing with a Uhaul and my car towed behind it. March 2016. My fiance came with. When we got to the border I told the officer at the wicket (after giving him both my fiance and my passport) that I was activating a K1 visa. He put a magnetic cone on the roof of the Uhaul and told us to pull over to secondary inspection. There the officers told us to leave all bags and purses in the van and just bring our documents. We also had to unlock the trailer door.

We went it and were called up. I told them I was activating my K1 visa and importing my car (if you are bringing you car you need to TELL them you want to import it) They took my passport, and sealed documents (it says clearly on them to keep them sealed) and told me to sit down. The officers outside looked through one box of my stuff and asked that we removed the car cover so they could look in the back seat of the car. They came in while we were waiting and told me they had looked through one of my boxes and since it had some fragile items that I could go out and repack the box (they provided me with some tape as well)

I told them I had an inventory of all my stuff, but they said it wasn't necessary. But it's good to have this just in case. I actually numbered my boxes and then wrote the contents of each box on a piece of paper. That way if they had questions about any specific thing I could direct them to the specific box instead of having them root through everything.

I got called up and the officer asked me to confirm the information, then stamped my passport and he gave me the car importation documents and other items back (they kept the sealed documents - they had opened it as I saw my original I129F petition) Then they said welcome to the USA and we were free to go.

Overall it took about 1 1/2 hours from the time we pulled up to the border to the time we pulled away.

My Timeline:

K1 Visa

10/10/2015: I 129F Petition Sent to USCIS ||| 10/13/2015: I 129F Petition Delivered to USCIS ||| 10/16/2015: Received Email/Text NOA1 |||

10/19/2015: Received Hard Copy NOA1 ||| 11/10/2015: Case Approved on USCIS website NOA2 ||| 11/16/2015: Received Hard Copy NOA2 |||

11/24/2015: Petition Received at NVC ||| 11/24/2015: Case # Assigned at NVC ||| 11/27/2015: Case Leaves NVC ||| 11/30/2015: CEAC Status - Ready |||

12/01/2015: Case Delivered to Montreal ||| 12/05/2015: Received Hard Copy of NVC Case # Assignment ||| 12/09/2015: CEAC Status - Ready (Montreal logged Case)

12/10/2015: Received Packet 3 (after emailing Montreal) and submitted packet 3 ||| 12/14/2015: Received Packet 4 and booked interview, and received paper copy of packet 3

12/15/2015: Scheduled Medical in Montreal ||| 01/12/2016: Medical Appointment in Montreal ||| 02/10/2016: Interview in Montreal!!! APPROVED!!!!!!

02/11/2016: CEAC Status: Administrative Processing ||| 02/12/2016: CEAC Status: Issued ||| 02/18/2016: K1 Visa in Hand!!! ||| 03/27/2016: Cross the border at Port Huron, MI and travel to MO for wedding

04/02/2016: Wedding Day!!!

04/06/2016: Arrive at my new home in California ||| 04/13/2016: Applied for SSN ||| 04/21/2016: SSN arrived in mail

AOS/EAD/AP

05/03/2016: AOS/EAD/AP Packet sent to USCIS via Fedex

05/05/2016: AOS/EAD/AP Packet received by USCIS

05/10/2016: AOS/EAD/AP NOA1

05/16/2016: Received NOA1

05/20/2016: Received Biometrics Appointment Letter

05/31/2016: AOS/EAD Biometrics Appointment

06/23/2016: AOS Case Status change to: Ready to be Schedule for an Interview

07/27/2016: Called USCIS and had service request put on EAD for pending longer than 75 days (actually pending 83 days)

Timeline

All options are good. You can fly with or without your belonging or drive with or without belongings. If you choose without, do some searches on how to move your stuff. It isn't super complicated, but you need to cross the border before your things do which for me made it tricky!

If you drive or fly with your things, I advise you have the itemized list. It will have the additional benefits of being an organized packer and for me, a way to purge (if I couldn't figure out how to list the item I was packing... i.e. some weird knickknack then I tossed it). I have seen a lot that they don't care so much at the border, but I asked CBP and they said to have it. Moving companies require it. When I drove through, they didn't even glance in my car which was loaded with stuff.

As for the paperwork, they will need your envelope with the visa items in it and car import info if you are doing that, I just kept all my visa stuff in a backpack with my laptop and it didn't leave my side. Keeps everything together.

All borders will process the visa to my knowledge.

Congrats!

--------------------------

K-1 Visa Timeline

--------------------------

04/21/2014: Submitted I-129F

05/29/2014: NOA2 via email

01/20/2015: Visa Received

03/15/2015: POE

04/01/2015: Married!! (L)

04/11/2015: Submitted AOS / EAD / AP

10/09/2015: Green Card Approved

07/20/2017: Submitted I-751 ROC

07/27/2017: NOA1 Received

10/14/2017: Biometrics Waived

10/27/2018: ROC Approved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.