dset

K1 approved, fiance coming next week, questions.

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Georgia
Timeline

So my fiance will be here next week (YIPPEEE).

And i had a few questions in regards to the next steps. (Yes, i did search but found conflicting info)

I know she needs to apply for a social security number but already has one from her summers working on a J1 visa, do we need to go to the SS office still, or is that fine since she has one already?

The next step would be marriage license and marriage.

Heres another part i'm confused on. we apply for the Adjustment of Status(I-485)

It says we can apply for the employment authorization(I-765) during the same time for no additional fee. is that correct and do i mail it in with the I-485 in the same envelope?

also, i saw mention of a I-131. What is the exact purpose of this form, do we need to fill it out? mentions re-entry, the only time my fiance plans to leave the US is to visit her family on maybe 1-2 week visits, but nothing immediately. Maybe next January.

And this gets mailed to Chicago correct? Thats what i found under the USCIS website for the filing location.

Also, are there any samples filled out of the I-485 and I-765?

Once everything is sent in for the AOS, is it simply a waiting game then until biometrics visit and interview?

Am i missing anything else?

Thank you very much!!! Any additional help would be wonderful.

PS: this is what i'm currently referring to.
http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from K1 Process to Fam.-based AOS Forum~

~Inquiry about AOS-associated processes~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

If she has a Ssn, she doesn't need a new one.

Yes, you can file the i765 and i131 and fees will be waived if you send it with the i485 petition. You can send in the same envelope. The i131 is advance parole, that will make her able to go overseas and back while the gc decision is pending? It's recommended to file, since it's free with the aos, it's nice to have it in case of emergencies.

You can check the exact address to file on the uscis website, but in this case, yes, it should be sent to the Chicago lockbox.

There is a "example forms" part here in vj, just click on the menu.

After sending, it's waiting time again. Biometrics for everyone and interview for some (k1s have chances of getting the interview part waived). There can be rfe, but let's hope not.

You can start taking a look at the aos forum to read on people's experience. It's good to read and know what to expect next.

Good luck.

Timeline

Thank you for proper move to the right forum.

and Thank you p-ana for the help. I will fill out the form them since they're free (with the other) in case of emergency.

Another question I had I just remembered. For my fiance's name change, would it be easier to wait and do it once her GC is received or should we do it right after the wedding? I feel it may cause more confusion if we do it now and have to fill out all the forms.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

If you are going to change your name through marriage, then you use the married name on all the AOS forms. It will take months and cost you hundreds more to change the name on a green card that has already been issued. Get everything done in the married name to begin with. There is no confusion to it. You have a marriage certificate that acts as your legal name change document, and the USCIS sees this exact same scenario many many times a day.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

If you are going to change your name through marriage, then you use the married name on all the AOS forms. It will take months and cost you hundreds more to change the name on a green card that has already been issued. Get everything done in the married name to begin with. There is no confusion to it. You have a marriage certificate that acts as your legal name change document, and the USCIS sees this exact same scenario many many times a day.

So let me understand this correctly, we get married and the license acts as the name change.

Do we submit AOS first or do we go to Social Security office and change her name on her social security number first?

Secondly, on the AOS, employment authorization and other travel form, if she changes her name, does she put her new name on that form, or her maiden name? I haven't really looked over the APS form in detail but does it make mention of current name and maiden?

Thank you

The marriage certificate works for the name change.

Vj suggests getting the Ssn before marriage, in passports name. If you do that, after getting married, you can go there again with the certificate and they'll change it to the new name.

If she changes her name, she will need to put the new name in all her forms, the maiden name will go in other names used.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

So let me understand this correctly, we get married and the license acts as the name change.

Do we submit AOS first or do we go to Social Security office and change her name on her social security number first?

Secondly, on the AOS, employment authorization and other travel form, if she changes her name, does she put her new name on that form, or her maiden name? I haven't really looked over the APS form in detail but does it make mention of current name and maiden?

Thank you

Not the license. The marriage certificate you receive from the court once the marriage is registered is the document that will work as your legal name change document.

You can try and change the name on the SSN with just the marriage certificate, but people often run into SSA workers that do not know certain aspects of their job or immigration. They will often want you to wait until you have an official govt. ID in the married name, such as the EAD or green card first.

You fill out ALL the AOS forms with the new married name. If you are changing your name through marriage, then you start using the married name as soon as you marry. The forms will have places to list Other Names Used/Maiden Name. That is where you will list the maiden name. If a form doesn't ask for that, then no need for it. You will be sending a copy of the marriage certificate too.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.