Phillabuster

Where to Send the Initial Packet, Discrimination, & Fee Questions

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Hey everyone! I'm happy to announce my fiancee and I are officially ready to send off our I-129F Package! Woo!

However, I'm absolutely terrified. My fiancee and I are both transgender. She recently got her name changed on her birth certificate while I have yet to have mine changed at all. Because her gender hasn't been changed on the birth certificate, I am wondering if I have to refer to her as "him". It just feels so very wrong... Her gender reads as female on every other ID she has, including her new passport. Does anyone know if they're going to be that finicky if I use her correct pronouns in stuff like the declaration letters as long as we mark the legal stuff on the appropriate forms?

I'm really concerned about sending our packet off to Texas, considering they just joined as one of the 11 states to sue the federal government over transgender rights (and definitely not in our favor). Are they allowed to discriminate against a legitimate, loving couple in any way? My state is also one of the goobers suing -can we send our forms to say, California, where the political scene is a bit more understanding? I'm not sure how they decide where we need to send our paperwork and I just want to give us the best chance possible. It would really be a terrible thing to be denied the chance to love just because some jerk decides we don't meet their political or religious standards.

Also, where can you find the current fees for the forms? Do I need to call the office?

Cheers, guys, I'm really, really, really nervous and just want to do right by my future wife.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hungary
Timeline

I'm not sure about your specific questions, but I know this: immigration law is federal, so send your packet where you are supposed to send it, it does not make a lick of difference as it will be adjudicated based on immigration law (federal) not specific state laws.

The filing fee is $340.

File Form I-129F at the USCIS Dallas Lockbox facility:

For U.S. Postal Service (USPS):

USCIS

P.O. Box 660151

Dallas, TX 75266

For USPS Express Mail and courier deliveries:

USCIS

Attn: I-129F

2501 South State Highway 121 Business

Suite 400

Lewisville, TX 75067

Edited by EM_Vandaveer

Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011

GREEN CARD ARRIVED 12/31/2011

Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014

10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED 05/06/2014

N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!

Filed: Timeline

They cannot discriminate but, I would be very concerned about consistency of documentation and names/genders matching up with who you are. Have plenty of documentation to back up whatever you put on the forms. Unless you change all your ID before you file, you're going to have to put the names/genders as is.

OP: You cannot choose what service center to send your application to. You will send it per the instructions to the Texas Lockbox, they will pass it along to the correct service center. As of early last year there is no other service center handling K1 applications but California Service Center.

That being said, you do not need to be concerned about discrimination. Immigration is in the domain of the federal government, and there is no problems for you there. Your application is viewed as any other couple.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline

Thank you, everyone. That makes me feel a little better. Things are getting really bad for transpeople lately and it's nice to know our case won't be mistreated for stuff we can't really control about ourselves.

I am going to try tacking on a little explanation that I refer to her by her preferred gender but that she is male on her birth certificate. It just feels wrong to call my beloved something that makes her feel disassociated when refering to our potential marriage, you know? If they really want to refute despite us doing that AND putting in all the correct information into the legal documents, then we'll deal with that I suppose. Do y'all think submitting a copy of her birth certificate (stating "formerly known as: old name", as well as her legal sex) would help our case? On all her plane ticket stubs she is still listed as her old name, so I might have to do that anyway to avoid an RFE.

Also, thank you for the fee advice! Is that listed somewhere on an official site? And is that all you have to pay for the filing fee? I was under the impression it'd be a hell of a lot more... I'm not sure where in the process I'm supposed to provide balance information to prove she won't become a ward of the state and have zero idea how to go about that, it doesn't seem to be listed in the K1 timeline. Is that still a needed step?

Thank you, everyone. That makes me feel a little better. Things are getting really bad for transpeople lately and it's nice to know our case won't be mistreated for stuff we can't really control about ourselves.

I am going to try tacking on a little explanation that I refer to her by her preferred gender but that she is male on her birth certificate. It just feels wrong to call my beloved something that makes her feel disassociated when refering to our potential marriage, you know? If they really want to refute despite us doing that AND putting in all the correct information into the legal documents, then we'll deal with that I suppose. Do y'all think submitting a copy of her birth certificate (stating "formerly known as: old name", as well as her legal sex) would help our case? On all her plane ticket stubs she is still listed as her old name, so I might have to do that anyway to avoid an RFE.

Also, thank you for the fee advice! Is that listed somewhere on an official site? And is that all you have to pay for the filing fee? I was under the impression it'd be a hell of a lot more... I'm not sure where in the process I'm supposed to provide balance information to prove she won't become a ward of the state and have zero idea how to go about that, it doesn't seem to be listed in the K1 timeline. Is that still a needed step?

I cannot address how to approach the issue with gender clarity in documentation, so sorry.

$340 for the petition is correct. Keep in mind your fiancé will have other costs to pay, such as having a medical, vaccinations, a police certificate, paying for the visa itself, etc. After your fiancé arrives with their visa and you marry, there will also be the cost for AOS which is $1,070.

In general you should follow this guide which I'm sure you've looked over already: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

Main page with tabs describing filing fee: https://www.uscis.gov/i-129f There is also the instructions page that's also helpful there.

Once your fiancé reaches the embassy stage, that is when you will need to send the financial support form I-134 and supporting financial documents to them. They will bring it with them to the embassy on the day of their interview. Send this stuff to them around the time of their medical or so, for them to receive it in time. In general, proof you can submit with your I-134 (unless you are using a cosponsor) is something like an IRS Tax Transcript or an employer letter if not using assets. I imagine you could also use pay stubs, w2s, bank statements etc.

After you marry and you file for adjustment of status (AOS), that is when additional and more in-depth financial information forms and evidence get submitted to the USCIS for that application.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline

Oh okay, so the AOS is that really huge chunk? I'm not concerned about medical/vaccinations or small chunk fees. Do you know if there's a list of them all anywhere? I can't seem to find anything on this site. I've definitely been refering to that checklist, though, it's what's been helping me assemble the packet! All I have left to do is get my passport photos and arrange everything for sendoff. I'd really appreciate knowing how much each step will cost. I haven't heard about the police certificate- what is that all about? Thankfully her dad work/ed/s for the force so hopefully that kind of connection would help? c:

I heard to start the I-134 you have to talk with your bank. I'm wondering if I went into the bank and asked them for help on it if they'd know what I was talking about! I heard it can take a while so it might be worth doing while we wait for the first bit to go through, unless y'all suggest waiting.

As always, I really, really appreciate the help! Apparently there's a lot of stuff I had no idea about despite memorizing the packet checklist page. Whoops. D:

Timeline

Nevermind, I actually poked around a bit and think I found a list of the fees, as well as when to send in the proof of support. Here is the link I found with the summary of fees. I know the medical exam, vaccinations, and the expenses around flying to/staying in Sydney flux, but I'm most concerned about the actual filing fees. Can anyone confirm if this is an accurate glance of what to expect as far as filing fees?

http://www.visatutor.com/fiance-k1-visa-cost/

Thanks in advance! We are sooooo close to being able to file, I just want to make sure all my ducks are in a row. Knowing we have time to save up for the big ol' chunk is super useful, thank you!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.