KingMedusa

ACCRA EMBASSY INTERVIEW

16 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

According to my wife, the Consular asked her about our marriage and our kids ages. Then she, the Consular, said the kids names as written in their passports and that of their birth certificates do not match and that there should be a hyphen between the middle names and the last names. My wife told her the names are not compound (borrowed) so they don't require hyphens or anything. Then the Consular said the middle names have been added to the last names in the passports so she should get new birth certs to match the passports.

Secondly, the pictures she produced are not enough so she should bring more. Especially, ones before I travelled to the USA. She has been given another date to bring all that stuff in April. This is what transpired today at the Accra Embassy.

My own personal thought is that this is complete waste of time. She sent all available family pictures but we'll provide them with some more from our student days. On the name issue too: Some "wise" immigration officer put my kids middle + last names where it says SURNAME in the passports. So to the Consular, that makes the names compound and should be hyphenated. New birth certs we'll provide them. No problem at all. It looks like she realized the uncanny resemblance of the children and did not even mention DNA tests at all. Continue to pray for us as we do for you all.

Thanks!

Edited by KingMedusa

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Good luck. What a headache.

APR 25, 2006 ARRIVE IN KENYA FOR PH.D. DISSERTATION RESEARCH

JUL 07, 2006 MEET AT CHECK-INN CLUB IN BUSIA, KENYA

SEPT 25, 2006 RETURN TO US

OCT 18, 2006 I129F SUBMITTED

OCT 24, 2006 NOA1 I129F

OCT 24, 2006 BACK TO KENYA

NOV 18, 2006 PROPOSED IN MOMBASA, KENYA (SHE SAID "YES"!)

DEC 26, 2006 NOA2 I129F

DEC 27, 2006 RETURN FROM KENYA

JANUARY, 2006 NVC CAN'T LOCATE PETITION

FEB 14, 2007 LETTERS SENT TO CONGRESSMEN

FEB 15, 2007 CIS CUSTOMER SERVICE SENDS EMAIL TO CSC REQUESTING TRACE ON MY PETITION (SHOULD HEAR BACK W/IN 45 DAYS)

FEB 19, 2007 APPROVED PETITION TOUCHED

FEB 21, 2007 EMAIL FROM CONGRESSMAN'S OFFICE SAYING PETITION HAS JUST BEEN RECEIVED BY NVC

FEB 23, 2007 PETITION SENT TO US EMBASSY IN NAIROBI, KENYA

MAR 5, 2007 PICKED UP PACKET 3/4 FROM EMBASSY

MAR 26, 2007 RETURNED PACKET 3 TO EMBASSY

APR 12, 2007 RETURNED MEDICAL EXAM RESULTS TO EMBASSY, HAD INTERVIEW, AND WAS APPROVED!

APR 26, 2007 PICKED-UP VISA FROM EMBASSY

APR 28-29, 2007 NAIROBI-ZURICH-CHICAGO-DETROIT-ANN ARBOR

JUL 3, 2007 WEDDING IN LAS VEGAS

JUL 30, 2007 MAIL AOS, EAD, AP APPLICATIONS

SEPT 8, 2007 CHECK CASHED

OCT 24, 2007 AP APPROVED

NOV 5, 2007 EAD APPROVED

NOV 6, 2007 EAD IN MAIL

JAN 22, 2008 INTERVIEW -- APPROVED!

Jacinta is a conditional permanent resident alien!

Timeline
According to my wife, the Consular asked her about our marriage and our kids ages. Then she, the Consular, said the kids names as written in their passports and that of their birth certificates do not match and that there should be a hyphen between the middle names and the last names. My wife told her the names are not compound (borrowed) so they don't require hyphens or anything. Then the Consular said the middle names have been added to the last names in the passports so she should get new birth certs to match the passports.

Secondly, the pictures she produced are not enough so she should bring more. Especially, ones before I travelled to the USA. She has been given another date to bring all that stuff in April. This is what transpired today at the Accra Embassy.

My own personal thought is that this is complete waste of time. She sent all available family pictures but we'll provide them with some more from our student days. On the name issue too: Some "wise" immigration officer put my kids middle + last names where it says SURNAME in the passports. So to the Consular, that makes the names compound and should be hyphenated. New birth certs we'll provide them. No problem at all. It looks like she realized the uncanny resemblance of the children and did not even mention DNA tests at all. Continue to pray for us as we do for you all.

Thanks!

I hope things will be cool for your next appointment, wishing you great success!

Timeline

Thanks!

I hope things will be cool for your next appointment, wishing you great success!

Hoping so...Accra Embassy is a complete mess!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
My own personal thought is that this is complete waste of time.

It looks like she realized the uncanny resemblance of the children and did not even mention DNA tests at all. Continue to pray for us as we do for you all.

Thanks!

I agree about the waste of time. That sucks!! :angry:

But . . . . . at least they were smart enough to recognize the resemblance of your children. Having to provde a DNA test would suck even more!!

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!

I-129F

11/15/2007 = Package sent overnight Fedex to CSC

11/16/2007 = Package arrived at CSC

11/21/2007 = NOA1 (according to www.uscis.gov online case status)

11/26/2007 = Check cashed (YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!)

11/28/2007 = Touched

11/30/2007 = Rec'd NOA1 hard copy in the mail

12/20/2007 = Touched

12/21/2007 = Touched

03/12/2008 = Touched (due to phone call)

03/24/2008 = NOA2!!!!!!!!!

03/25/2008 = Touched

04/23/2008 = Touched

05/05/2008 = Arrived at Consulate

05/12/2008 = Picked up Packets 3 & 4

06/24/2008 = Interview Date and APPROVAL

07/02/2008 = Picked up Visa at Embassy

07/05/2008 = Arrival in the U.S.!!!!!!!!! Met at POE in ATLANTA

07/06/2008 = Fly back to Salt Lake City Together!!!!

08/06/2008 = MARRIED TODAY!!!

AOS & EAD

08/23/2008 = Package sent via USPS with Signature Confirmation

08/25/2008 = Package arrived in Chicago

08/26/2008 = Check cashed

09/02/2008 = NOA1 for EAD and AOS received in the mail.

4400355_bodyshot_300x400.gif4400923_bodyshot_300x400.gif

Filed: Timeline

I feel your frustration. I would still be leery of them NOT asking for the DNA testing just based on what others have gone through with this Embassy including myself. They ask you to bring back a specific item on that next date and then at that time tell you also need something else. Sorry but I am very jaded when it comes to the Accra Embassy.

I will however think happy thoughts, put out positive vibes and pray for you and your family to be reunited soon.

Sent I130 September 23, 2004

Approved January 5, 2005

Interview date July 21, 2005

Told to pick up visa October 2005, but no visa issued.

Case went missing for six months - from October 2005 through April 2006

Emailed Embassy constantly, sent letter directly to director of Embassy by fax and snail mail

Response received April 2006 from Director - full of inaccuracies, but placed my husband's name on list to enter Embassy.

Husband entered Embassy in late April - told case worker working on our case quit, they were short staffed so no one touched our case; told to return in July 2006 to pick up visa.

July 2006 - no visa issued still, told case went to US for secondary approval.

August 2006 - US said case was approved in January 2005 and they did not have it.

September, October, November and December 2006, Embassy kept insisting they did not have our case. I emailed EVERY day until finally, response said my husband was called on the phone to pick the visa up six months earlier. My husband has NEVER been called on the phone by the Embassy.

Told to come pick up visa January 19 - said the "Ghanaians who print the visas didn't print them"

Changed date on blue slip and told to come back. Finally received the visa February 2, 2007.

THANK GOD!

Arriving in USA very very soon and I can't wait!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

We had issues with names matching on the passport and birth certificate. They are sticklers for that. Good luck!

K-1 (more detail in profile):

05-25-05 - Applied for I-129F

06-07-05 - Approved

12-01-05 - Picked up visa!!

AOS:

12-25-05 - Flight lands at JFK - EAD stamp

05-15-06 - Green card received!! Woo-hoo!!!

05-09-07 - Our first son born!

Removal of Conditions

01-29-08 - Mailed Removal of Conditions Application (overnight)

02-07-08 - Check Cashed

02-08-08 - NOA1

03-12-08 - Biometrics

12-12-08 - Card production ordered! Yay!

12-30-08 - 10 year card received! Yay!

Naturalization

01-12-10 - Mailed application

01-20-10 - NOA

02-16-10 - Biometrics

04-21-10 - Interview

04-21-10 - Oath ceremony - US CITIZEN!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Good luck KM! Be sure to get a completely new birth certificate or passport because if they just put correction fluid or something on it (that happened to us with the police certificate name mistake the police made) the consulate will not accept it.

--------------------------

Becoming a U.S. Citizen

2/15/10 Sent N-400 packet via Fedex to Lewisville TX

2/19/10 Received text message and email notification of application received, check cashed

2/27/10 Received biometrics appointment letter

3/19/10 Biometrics appointment

3/25/10 Received email notice that case will be sent for interview scheduling at local office

3/26/10 Received yellow letter asking to being more tax records/info to interview

3/27/10 Received interview letter (dated 3/24/10)

4/28/10 Interview appointment

6/5/10 Received oath letter (dated 6/1/10)

6/29/10 Oath ceremony date

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

KingMedusa, I am so sorry to hear about what went down at the accra embassy today....I don't know why they insist on penalizing your wife and kids for their errors and I am so surprised at the fact that they needed more evidence considering from your post, you and your wife and known each other for quite some time! It just makes so sad everytime I read another bad experience at the Ghana Embassy. My heart goes out to you and your family and here's hoping that the April interview will go on much more smoothly than this....

Hang in there!

March 8, 2010 N-400 priority filing date

April 21, 2010-biometrics apppointment

Filed: Timeline

I'm sorry to hear what happend. I pray everything gets worked out. My fiance's, mothers, boyfriend, who is from Ghana, is now a USC, but just had two of his sons come here to live, they are in their 20's. The embassy did not make them do DNA tests, which they were suprised about. But after their interview, had to make 4 trips to the embassy, because the CO kept finding excuses to delay issuing the visa. Not sure what their problems were. Anyway, I hope all goes well for your family.

Timeline

I would have to agree with reggae. That is what they would do to us...Just this one more thing and then you're set. that's what they told us over and over again. So get your money together for that just in case. If you don't need it, all the better. But at least you'd be prepared.

1/5/2007 WEDDING DAY. ACCRA GHANA.

Timeline
Good luck KM! Be sure to get a completely new birth certificate or passport because if they just put correction fluid or something on it (that happened to us with the police certificate name mistake the police made) the consulate will not accept it.

Yea! We're going to get brand new b'certs for them. My children were born in KATH and they'll issue new ones without hesitation. It costs about $5.00 each.

Edited by KingMedusa

Timeline
I feel your frustration. I would still be leery of them NOT asking for the DNA testing just based on what others have gone through with this Embassy including myself. They ask you to bring back a specific item on that next date and then at that time tell you also need something else. Sorry but I am very jaded when it comes to the Accra Embassy.

I will however think happy thoughts, put out positive vibes and pray for you and your family to be reunited soon.

I was dreading the costs involved with the DNA but that is out of the question right now. The rest are simple things that will be provided soon.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.