ThinkerBelle

Getting married while on Tourist Visa?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Is it possible to get married with a tourist visa? I have a B1/B2 visa valid for 10 years and have already when to visit bf and met his family in the states. Im originally from the Philippine but met my military bf overseas while he was stationed in Bahrain.

BF has this unrealistic perception that fiance visa takes just about 6 months to a year, and we are currently discussing about me moving to the states by april 2017 exactly a year from now. He wants me to quit my job and move there. I Think chances of that happening is slim.

Does he still need to apply for a fiance visa for me to go there and marry him? Will i need to leave the US after we get married?

Will a spouse visa have a shorter processing time?

I really have no idea about different visa and immigration-related issues. I hope someone can shed light on these for me. Thanks

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

Actually, your boyfriend is right. Currently the K1 (fiancé visa) takes about six months from petition to visa in hand. If you plan on moving in April 2017, this sounds like the way to go for you guys.

The spouse visa on the other hand, takes almost a year.

Travelling to the US on a visitor visa with intent to stay is considered fraud, so don't do that. You have plenty of time to go the proper way :-)

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

***** Moving from General Immigration to What Visa do I Need forum *****

Your boyfriend is right about the timeframe.Yo

You have a couple of options; you CAN come to the USA on a tourist visa and marry- many foreigners get married in Las Vegas every day, for example- but you cannot stay; you'd need to leave and then your USC husband can petition you for a spousal visa which, as mentioned, takes just over a year on average. The advantage is that the CR-1 spousal visa is cheaper, and you can travel and work right away when you enter the USA with it. But if the April 2017 date for moving is important to you, you'd be cutting it fine.

Or, do the K1 fiance visa. It takes about 6 months to get, and then you have 6 months to use it, so this works well with the April 2017 date. The negatives are that it is more expensive than the spousal visa, and once you arrive in the USA, it takes a couple of months minimum until you can work, or travel back home should there be a family emergency or similar.

You can visit with the tourist visa during either process.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Definitely go for the K1 visa! Once you get the visa, you can come and get married and stay! If you get married on a tourist visa you will have to leave and he will have to petition for you to come - it will take more than a year.

My Husband and I actually asked at the USCIS what the best route was. They told us K1. It took 6 months. We applied in April, and were married in September. Actually, it took less than 6 months to get the visa, but we had already settled on the wedding date in September. It was hard to be away from each other for 6 months, but it was much better than a full year.

FYI - when you go to the embassy for your visa interview, they will cancel your tourist visa - 'cancelled without prejudice' will be stamped over it. It's okay, because they will be giving you the K1. Just telling you because I remember my heart stopped when they did that. :-D

I-129F filed May 1996
K-1 issued August 1996
Married in September 1996.
AOS October 1996
LPR April 1997 to 2003.
Forced to abandon status at POE in DC, 2003.
Lived & worked in Asia together 2000 to 2011.
We have 2 gorgeous kids!
Returned to USA Oct 2011, on B1 tourist visa
Filed i-130 and i-485 in April 2012.

LPR approved 10/22/2012 (Conditional 2 year period waived)

Fast forward 4 years to 2016.... it's that time!

Day 0: April 13, 2016 Sent N-400 at 12:20pm :dancing:

Day 1: April 14, 2016 Delivered to USCIS Lewisville, TX 11:38am

Day 6: April 19, 2016 Text acceptance 3:48pm ; Check Cashed

Day 10: April 23, 2016 NOA received

Day 16: April 29, 2016 NOA - Biometrics appointment scheduled

Day 28: May 11, 2016 Biometrics appointment at Orlando

Day 120 : August 11, 2016 7.30am Naturalization Interview - Approved! :thumbs:

Day 162 : September 22, 2015 1.00pm Oath!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.