7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My fiancé lives in the UK. I was laid off off recently, so I need a co-sponsor who has already filled out the I-134 form. Do I still need to fill out a I-864 form as well? Do both forms need to get filled out/completed? Our interview is next week and I'm rather confused.

Also how long does it take to fill out DS-160?

Thanks for your help!

Timeline

hi

no, you will fill out a i134

i864 is for adjustment of status once you are married

Thank you so much. Just to clarify...Do I need to fill out a I-134 form as well or just my co-sponsor?

Timeline

hi

both of you, you must file an affidavit of support as the petitioner

Thank you for all your help! Since you've been so helpful...is there a form that lists all the documents my fiancé needs for interview? Last question I promise.

I appreciate it!

My fiancé lives in the UK. I was laid off off recently, so I need a co-sponsor who has already filled out the I-134 form. Do I still need to fill out a I-864 form as well? Do both forms need to get filled out/completed? Our interview is next week and I'm rather confused.

Thanks for your help!

For a LONDON interview:

The I-864 is not part of the K1 visa process.

The fiancé does NOT have to fill out an I-134 if they have no job or income and can't sponsor.

The joint sponsor, person with money, fills out the only I-134 and proves their income.

They do not have to prove their income in any particular way or five ways. A tax return is NOT required, but it's an easy way to prove income. An employer letter would also be acceptable as the proof. Recent pay stubs could prove income. You don't need all of those. Pick one. Pick two if you're a worrier.

All consulates are not the same. This is how London does it.

How long does the DS-160 take? An hour? Three days? It depends on if you have all the information handy or need to call your mum and ask where she was born. Or figure out addresses, dates, and such. Create a log-in and save it and you can finish later.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Thanks for your help!

Seconding what Nich-Nick says about only the co-sponsor needing to give the I-134. We used one, and only the co-sponsor needed to provide the I-134 and financial evidence. This isn't the same with every consulate, but London is very different. ^_^

The DS-160 takes a little while to fill out. It'll ask things like places lived, biographic info, work history, travel history, and even school history.

As for your interview and the documents you need to take: check out this London-specific guide. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/474161-london-k1-a-complete-guide-do-not-post-questions-in-thread/

Once you marry your fiancé, you must file to adjust status for the foreign spouse. That is when you will provide an I-864 for yourself and an additional I-864 for a co-sponsor if you still require one.

Edited by yuna628

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.