teenidle00

I need your guidance (I 130, and 485, and lots of questions)

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hey guys! My husband is petitioning for me. He is a US citizen, and we met over a year ago while I was traveling in the US. We got married last November 2015, and now we're preparing everything for the petition. We are now living together. However, I'm quite overwhelmed by the amount of paperwork and the forms, and I was wondering if you could help me out.

I have basically filled out the Form I-130, I-485, 2 G235As, and I-864. Now I'm confused as to a few things:

1. Should I file a I-765? Or would I automatically get a work permit once i get a SSN? Additionally, I saw somewhere that you can file 765 concurrently with the 485, and that there's no additional fees anymore when you do so (aside from the original filing fee for the 485). I can't find the website anymore, though. So I might just be imagining things.

2. We have a lot of pictures detailing the relationship, I was wondering how many pictures, text logs and all that stuff do we need to make the "bona fide" marriage? Is it better to have sworn affidavits? Do I need to submit these from the get-go, or is it better to wait until the interview?

2.a We're planning on submitting a tax return with both our names on it (we filed jointly) plus a bank statement showing my name on the account. Would that be enough?

3. Should I file for I 131 as well? I have overstayed my B1 visa a month after we got married. I have asked my lawyer and she said it doesn't really matter anymore, because it's not about visas when we get married.

4. If we're filing the AOS and I130 concurrently, would it be better to pack them in two separate folders, and then put them in one manila envelope?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, I'm getting overwhelmed here. I appreciate your input. Thank you!

Edited by teenidle00

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from What Visa Do I Need to WST-based AOS Forum~

~Similar topics are often discussed at this forum~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Serbia
Timeline

1: Yes, you should file the I-765. And you're not imagining things, from the I-485 instructions (page 5):

NOTE: You may file Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization, and/or a Form I-131, Application for Travel Document, without fee, if you file Form I-485 and you pay its required fee. You may file these forms together.

3: No reason not to (since it's free when filed along I-485). And you'll definitely need to if you want to travel before you get your green card AFAIK (it would be an application for advanced parole in this case).

Edited by rutabaga

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.