Fofire

Pushing back the entry date

9 posts in this topic

Its my understanding that once your spouse has been issued a visa (in my case its a K3 visa) they have 3-4 months in order to go to America. This basically means that they have to enter america and start the Green card process.

first of all can someone tell me if its 3 months or 4 months that they get to enter America.

Then 2nd is it possible to get the issuing embassy to push back that time period for like a month or two? I can think of 2 possibilities and please let me know what you think is possible.

1 physically asking them to make the beginning validity date to be later

2 filing the original paperwork but delaying the interview until the I get a date that would allow us to leave when we want to.

The basic thing is I dont wanna wait and possibly have DCF be cut off again or some other else thing like a backlog to happen and then have to file in America or be delayed . . .but at the same time I need to be able to leave between november and January.

Forest

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

The validity period is typically 6 mos from date of issuance to use a visa. The validity period is stated on the visa itself.

YMMV

Filed: Country: Indonesia
Timeline

If you are filing through DCF, you probably would not receive K-3 visa, it would be CR-1 or IR-1 (depending length of marriage) I would think.

We went though CR-1 visa and the visa had 6 months from issuance date to activate. With immigrant visa or K-3, I think you can make the entry, activate visa, and go back home for short period to finish up. That's what we did (I needed to quit my job which had at least 3 months of notice before I can actually leave the job). K-3 is multiple entry and CR-1 visa is one entry but after they endorsed your visa, it becomes temporary I-551

Good luck

I-130

Jun 28 2004 : Received at NSC

Oct 25 2004 : Transferred to CSC

Oct 29 2004 : Received at CSC

Nov 8 2004 : Received response from CSC that my file is being requested & review will be done

Nov 10 2004 : Email & online status Approved

Nov 15 2004 : NOA 2 in mail

Dec 16 2004 : NVC assigns case number

Dec 20 2004 : NVC sent DS 3032 to beneficiary, copy of DS 3032 & I-864 fee bill to petitioner

Jan 3 2005 : Petitioner received copy of DS 3032 and I-864 fee bill. Post-marked Dec 23rd.

Jan 11 2005 : Beneficiary received DS 3032 in Indonesia

Jan 31 2005 : Sent DS 3032 to NVC

Feb 8, 2005 : NVC received DS 3032

Feb 21, 2005 : IV fee generated

Feb 25, 2005 : Sent I-864 fee bill

Feb 28, 2005 : I-864 fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 3, 2005 : IV fee bill received

Mar 7, 2005 : Sent IV fee bill

Mar 9, 2005 : IV fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 28, 2005 : I-864 fee credited against case.

April 6, 2005 : Received I-864 package

April 7, 2005 : Immigrant Visa fee credited against case.

April 11, 2005 : DS 230 is generated

Aug 12, 2005 : I-864 & DS 230 received by NVC

Sep 14, 2005 : RFE on I-864

Nov 3, 2005 : Checklist response received at NVC

Nov 25, 2005 : Case completion

Dec 9, 2005 : Police Cert requested from the Netherlands

Jan 12 2006 : Interview success - Approved !!

Jan 19 2006 : Visa & brown envelope picked up

The validity period is typically 6 mos from date of issuance to use a visa. The validity period is stated on the visa itself.

I think thats true on a K1, but are you sure its the same on a k3?

After all we are married and we dont need that getting to know each other peiod.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

After all we are married and we dont need that getting to know each other peiod.

Visa validity to use the first time and the 90 clock to get married AFTER entry into US are two very different things.

YMMV

If you are filing through DCF, you probably would not receive K-3 visa, it would be CR-1 or IR-1 (depending length of marriage) I would think.

We went though CR-1 visa and the visa had 6 months from issuance date to activate. With immigrant visa or K-3, I think you can make the entry, activate visa, and go back home for short period to finish up. That's what we did (I needed to quit my job which had at least 3 months of notice before I can actually leave the job). K-3 is multiple entry and CR-1 visa is one entry but after they endorsed your visa, it becomes temporary I-551

Good luck

Ok you're right it would be an IR-1 (i just looked it up). Im filing DCF and we were married last month. I think IR-1 is for less than 2 years?

Anyhow so an IR-1 (or CR-1) is for sure for 6 months.

Thanks a lot for your help!!! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Visa validity to use the first time and the 90 clock to get married AFTER entry into US are two very different things.

Sorry I did make that confusion didnt I. yeah I mean for first use . . not the amount of time that they are in the states.

Good luck

Ok you're right it would be an IR-1 (i just looked it up). Im filing DCF and we were married last month. I think IR-1 is for less than 2 years?

Thanks a lot for your help!!! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

The CR1 is for couples married less than two years, and yes, it gives you six months to enter for the first time. After you enter the first time, a two-year conditional green card is issued, and you apply for removal of conditions 90 days or less before the expiration of the conditional green card.

Edited by MargotDarko

My Crafting Blog - On a Roll - Blogspot

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

-------------------------

24 Feb 2007 - Sent I-130 to London USCIS office (I'm the petitioner)

25 May 2007 - NOA2

2 June 2007 - Received Packet 3

12 Oct 2007 - Sent Packet 3 back by special delivery

5 Nov 2007 - Interview in London - Approved without any hitches!

7 Nov 2007 - Visa and MBE arrived by SMS! :)

30 Jan 2008 - Fly to Michigan!! :)

*Note: Any delays in our case are only due to us taking things slowly

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Specifically, you're applying for an Immigrant Visa, class CR-1

IR-1=Immediate Relative (if spouse, marriage is +2 years old)

CR-1-Immediate Relative with conditions (spouse, marriage is less than 2 years old)

The Immigrant Visa is valid for 6 months; the visa must be used within 6 months of issue date. If the immigrant needs to, the visa can be used, PR status granted and an immediate departure made for a reasonable period of time, to conclude business back 'home'. Care should be taken to maintain US PR terms. See uscis.gov for Now That You Are a Permanent Resident.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.