climo

Taxes: Married- file separately or jointly??

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hey VJ'ers I have a question about my upcoming tax return. I'm ready to file my 2006 taxes but I'm not sure on whether to file separately or jointly. We're in the process of her K-3 and I've heard its better to file jointly then separately. Not sure why. I have a power of attorney letter from my spouse just in case. Also should I fill out the W-7 form to get her a temp ssn or just wait for AOS? We were married in Sept 2006.

I'm going to HR block by the way. I hope they understand my situation of a spouse with no ssn. Can someone enlighten me on this tax issue? thanks

Cliff & Liezl

Annulment precedings took 16 months---> Jan. 2005 - May. 2006. We had people on the inside helping.

Got married in Marikina Philippines ---> 09-19-2006

I-130 Timeline

Jan. 8 ---> I-130 sent to CSC

Jan. 11 ---> Received NOA1

Jan. 16 ---> Check cleared bank

Jan. 17 ---> Touched!

Mar. 8 ---> NOA 2 APPROVED!!!! 40 days!!

Mar. 20 ---> Arrived at NVC-->> Case number assigned!! Woo Hoo!!

Apr. 2 ---> DS-3032 & AOS fee bill generated. [called NVC automated number]

Apr. 5 ---> Wife emailed Dept of State DS-3032 Choice of Agent [damaged in mail excuse]

Apr. 6 ---> Local IRS office accepts my W-7 & 2006 taxes. [Married filing jointly] Done!

Apr. 9 ---> Rec'd AOS fee bill and copy of DS-3032 form from NVC

Apr. 10 ---> NVC accepts email for DS-3032 Choice of Agent

Apr. 11 ---> Sent AOS fee bill by USPS priority mail

I-129F Timeline

Jan. 20 ---> Sent I-129F to Chicago

Jan. 24 ---> Received NOA1 but Rejection Notice- Outdated form

Jan. 30 ---> Sent I-129F to Chicago Lockbox

Feb. 5 ---> Received NOA1- receipt notice

Feb. 8 ---> Check cleared my bank

Feb. 22 ---> I-129F form transferred to Cal Service Center

Feb. 28 ---> I-129F form received at Cal Service Center

Mar. 1 ---> Touched!

Still pending at CSC!!

Still pending At CSC!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

H&R Block should be able to answer your questions.

I would fill out the W-7 form and apply for a Tax Identification Number or TIN. This is not a temporary social security number. It will take longer than until April 15'th to recieve the number. You will then file at a different address than normal. It was Maryland as I recall. And your return will be somewhat delayed.

It is not always better to file jointly. Fill out the forms all ways possible and then you will know what is best for you. H & R Block should do this for you as a matter of routine.

I am not sure the power of attorney will do you much good unless you have her passport. You can alway file an ammended return return if necessary.

t

Hey VJ'ers I have a question about my upcoming tax return. I'm ready to file my 2006 taxes but I'm not sure on whether to file separately or jointly. We're in the process of her K-3 and I've heard its better to file jointly then separately. Not sure why. I have a power of attorney letter from my spouse just in case. Also should I fill out the W-7 form to get her a temp ssn or just wait for AOS? We were married in Sept 2006.

I'm going to HR block by the way. I hope they understand my situation of a spouse with no ssn. Can someone enlighten me on this tax issue? thanks

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

My understanding is that in order to file jointly, you need an income statement from your spouse. But you can exclude a large amount of income (I think $65K) of income that your spouse makes from US taxation.

I'm filing separately, since I can't get an income statement for 2006 from her employer -- and we plan to amend our return later when we get that statement. It will get us a substantial refund, since she makes a small fraction of the excludable amount.

5-15-2002 Met, by chance, while I traveled on business

3-15-2005 I-129F
9-18-2005 Visa in hand
11-23-2005 She arrives in USA
1-18-2006 She returns to Russia, engaged but not married

11-10-2006 We got married!

2-12-2007 I-130 sent by Express mail to NSC
2-26-2007 I-129F sent by Express mail to Chicago lock box
6-25-2007 Both NOA2s in hand; notice date 6-15-2007
9-17-2007 K3 visa in hand
11-12-2007 POE Atlanta

8-14-2008 AOS packet sent
9-13-2008 biometrics
1-30-2009 AOS interview
2-12-2009 10-yr Green Card arrives in mail

2-11-2014 US Citizenship ceremony

Filed: Timeline

you will have to file w-7 the w-7 must be attached to your completed tax return(form 1040) If you use your spouse's passport as identification it must be notarised( american consellate if your spouse is not in the us).You can take that to a irs support center or mail it to the itin unit Bensalem,PA or Austin,Tx

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

In order to file married jointly you will need to complete your 1040 like normal (your spouse needs to sign it) and a W7 for your spouse (note that she has to sign it) and provide identification (notarized or certified passport works - there's a list of other alternate info that can be used as well). To exclude the foreign earned income you need to submit form 2555. There are stipulations as to whether the foreign income can be excluded but it is $82K-something. You do not have to wait for an ITIN to file your taxes. You file the W7 along with your tax return. Make sure to make copies of *everything* you submit as you spouse will need them later on.

Edited by Robor007

Married on 11/21/06 in her hometown city Tumauini located in the Isabela province (Republic of the Philippines)

I-129 Timeline

12/12/06 - Mailed I-129 package to Chicago Service Center

12/14/06 - Received by Chicago Service Center

12/18/06 - NOA1 notice date from Missouri (NBC)

12/21/06 - NOA1 received in mail

12/27, 12/29, 12/31 - Touches

01/06/07 - Transfered to California Service Center

01/11/07 - Arrived at California Service Center

1/12, 1/16, 1/17, 2/6 - Touches

02/06/07 - NOA2 from California Service Center

02/11/07 - Received NOA2 in mail

02/15/07 - Arrived at the NVC - MNL case # assigned

02/20/07 - Sent to US Embassy in Manila

02/26/07 - Received at Embassy

03/30/07 - Packet 4 received

05/09/07 - Medical scheduled (did early)

05/16/07 - Interview

05/23/07 - Visa Delivered

05/25/07 - POE in Newark, NJ

I-130 Timeline

11/27/06 - Mailed I-130 package to Texas Service Center

11/29/06 - Package received by Texas Service Center

12/06/06 - NOA1 notice date from California Service Center

12/09/06 - Touch

12/11/06 - NOA1 received in mail

02/06/07 - NOA2 from California Service Center

02/11/07 - Received NOA2 in mail (I-130 held at CSC)

--------------------

Pinoy Info Forum - For the members of Asawa.org in diaspora

I went with my wife to Jim Boyd in Angeles City, Pampanga and filed. All the forms were filled out - sent directly to the U.S. Embassy and then sent directly to Austin Texas IRS. SIMPLE AS THAT. LOTS OF MISINFORMATION (see below).

IRS Acceptance Agents for W-7

IRS Acceptance Agent in Philippines (only one)

Jim Boyd's telephone number (063) 45 888-2748, FAX (063) 45 888-5079

1925 McArthur Highway, Balibago, Angeles City, Pampanga, Philippines 2009

SAVED $900 USD--"it's up to you"

My understanding is that in order to file jointly, you need an income statement from your spouse. But you can exclude a large amount of income (I think $65K) of income that your spouse makes from US taxation.

I'm filing separately, since I can't get an income statement for 2006 from her employer -- and we plan to amend our return later when we get that statement. It will get us a substantial refund, since she makes a small fraction of the excludable amount.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
H&R Block should be able to answer your questions.

I would fill out the W-7 form and apply for a Tax Identification Number or TIN. This is not a temporary social security number. It will take longer than until April 15'th to recieve the number. You will then file at a different address than normal. It was Maryland as I recall. And your return will be somewhat delayed.

It is not always better to file jointly. Fill out the forms all ways possible and then you will know what is best for you. H & R Block should do this for you as a matter of routine.

I am not sure the power of attorney will do you much good unless you have her passport. You can alway file an ammended return return if necessary.

t

i.e."it's not always better to file jointly" i have asked elsewhere and the advice was the contrary, not always good to file separately...This is quite confusing...because all has to be consistent in our 2 taxes, even if living in 2 countries for now, separated...In fact i was searching for my USC hubby the exact source of info as of where to find the exact criterias either for when we have to file jointly or separately... anyone can give some guidance?

CR-1, VT- Canada

I-130:

25 Aug 06 - Sent I-130 (a Friday)

28 Aug 06 - NOA1 & Certif. receipt returned ( a Monday) Day 1

29 Aug 06 - USCIS cashes check

30 Aug 06 - check cleared & 1ST TOUCH.

01 Sept 06 - NOA1 recvd by Mail

09 Sept 06 - 2ND TOUCH (a Saturday)

09 Mai 07 - NOA2 (2 e-mails)

Note: were told the long delay due to huge backlog and internal changes in VT

NVC :

04-June-07 - NVC generates DS-3032 & AOS bill

12-June-07 - AOS Bill payment sent/ alien receives DS-3032 form (by mail, dated 4th June)

13-June-07 - Alien sends back completed DS-3032 (by mail)/ rcvd 19th of June approx.

To mid July-07 - I-864 form sent completed and IV fee bill

19-July-07 NVC rcv I-864 form; mail signature rcvd.

22-Aug-07 Ds-230 with documents sent to NVC.

20-Sep - 07 Alien sends NVC Missing document. NVC receives it the 25th.

05-Oct - 07 NVC completed.

16-Jan - 08 Interview, 3 questions asked, visa approved same day, received 1week later approx.

Note: delay due to internal delay, missing document (not rfe) and self procrastination of understanding some abstract terms. C Post not at all reliable (delivery duration, delivery with signature (did not deliver personnaly), and delivery of interview letter rcvd after the interview).

In USA:

01-03-08 POE Entry in USA

...-03-08 2 Welcome in America letters and green card received.

"What I know is that I know nothing"

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

I am the foreign tax expert for our District of H&R Block... make sure that you go and see someone at one of their Premium Offices.. most tax preparers there have no idea how to handle our situations...

But the rule of thumb is to NEVER file as MFS unless absolutely necessary or you're in one of the very few situations where it would make sense... There are very few tax situations where filing as MFS would be a better deal in terms of the taxes that you woule oew to the IRS or the refund that you would get...

You do not need a statement of any kind... you merely report what she made.. a lot of countries don't even have a papertrail on what was made or collected... if it's an estimation.. that's okay, especially if you are just going to exclude it...

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Filed: Timeline

You don't need an income statement for foreign earned income. You just declare what that income is and use form 2555 or 2555-EZ to determine what portion of that foreign earned income can be excluded from US taxation.