Nisilsin

Obtaining a Ukrainian passport from abroad

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I was born in Ukraine and would like to get a Ukrainian passport in addition to my American one. I don't need it too badly, but my thinking is that it can't possibly hurt. From what I gather, no one has ever reported actually getting any fines or serious trouble for having two passports, even though technically Ukraine "does not recognize" dual citizenship (though it cannot "prohibit" it in any meaningful way).

Here is the gist:

• I have my birth certificate and a long expired Child's Travel Document. I was too young to have an internal passport when I left.
  • I don't travel to Ukraine very often. Like twice in 10 year. If I have to physically go to Ukraine to get this done, I will just let this idea go.

It appears that there is a process to submit the application through an embassy ( http://dmsu.gov.ua/posluhy/dokumenti-dlya-vijizdu-za-kordon/710-vydacha-pasporta-hromadianyna-ukrainy-dlia-vyizdu-za-kordon mentions it), but it also looks like an internal passport is needed.

Has anyone done something like this?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Ukrainian Embassies have no authority to issue an internal passport. Internal passports can only be issued within Ukraine.

International/External passport - can not be issued either.

The embassy can only do the following:

a) issue a temporary passport -- so that you can return to Ukraine (you need to show a ticket)

b) Child Travel Document

As for "what they can do" - no cannot get into trouble. But cannot be revoked.

As for "Why you need it" --- well that's an interesting topic of discussion I would like to see ;)

Timeline

Ukrainian Embassies have no authority to issue an internal passport. Internal passports can only be issued within Ukraine.

International/External passport - can not be issued either.

The embassy can only do the following:

a) issue a temporary passport -- so that you can return to Ukraine (you need to show a ticket)

b) Child Travel Document

As for "what they can do" - no cannot get into trouble. But cannot be revoked.

As for "Why you need it" --- well that's an interesting topic of discussion I would like to see ;)

The embassy may not have the authority to issue a travel passport, but according to the link in my post, they do have the authority to accept applications, payments - and send it off for processing. Something like 3 months processing time is mention on some embassy sites I've visited.

It's not a trivial matter to lose Ukrainian citizenship - from what I see online there is no process to have it done, even if one wanted to. The president of Ukraine could make it happen on an individual basis, but I'm sure he's busy with other things. So from that I conclude that I am still a Ukrainian citizen.

A Ukrainian citizen has a right to get a passport (for foreign travel, as they refer to it). So should I ;)

As for why I might want it? Believe it or not, there are places in the world that require a visa from Americans but not from Ukrainians. Some are just a matter of paying an extra fee (such as Turkey, Argentina), others are quite a bit more complex (such as Russia). I'm starting to develop an affinity for long term travel, and it's nice to have options.

I appreciate your comments, even though I would have loved to hear from someone with first hand experience. I have contacted the embassy by email, will see if they respond. I tried calling them too, but it was quite confusing because I doubt the receptionist gets these questions often.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Trying to read thru your post and im not sure if you want to get the internal passport or a travel passport.

10 years ago when i moved here i was 15 and never had an internal passport of my own, i had a child passport of some sorts. When i was 18 we submitted an application to the embassy in San Francisco and boom, the passport came in the mail. I want to mention that at this time i was a green card holder here and not a citizen. So if you are talking about a travel passport its possible for sure. Also my dad and sister just updated their expired UA passport thru the embassy last year. They don't have internal passports, neither of our family does, when we left UA we turned them in. So our family has birth certificates and UA travel passport, no internal once.

If you are talking about an internal UA passport i really don't think you can do that because you need a propiska in Ukraine but since you do not have an address there i doubt you can do it especially from here.

Hope you figure it out!

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Trying to read thru your post and im not sure if you want to get the internal passport or a travel passport.

10 years ago when i moved here i was 15 and never had an internal passport of my own, i had a child passport of some sorts. When i was 18 we submitted an application to the embassy in San Francisco and boom, the passport came in the mail. I want to mention that at this time i was a green card holder here and not a citizen. So if you are talking about a travel passport its possible for sure. Also my dad and sister just updated their expired UA passport thru the embassy last year. They don't have internal passports, neither of our family does, when we left UA we turned them in. So our family has birth certificates and UA travel passport, no internal once.

If you are talking about an internal UA passport i really don't think you can do that because you need a propiska in Ukraine but since you do not have an address there i doubt you can do it especially from here.

Hope you figure it out!

I do mean the travel passport, not the internal one. I actually got an email reply from the embassy that it should not be a problem, that I should come in with my birth certificate and old Child Travel Document. I haven't had the chance to do that yet but will certainly try and see what the full process is. I mentioned in the email that I have another citizenship and they did not make any comment about that being a concern.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I do mean the travel passport, not the internal one. I actually got an email reply from the embassy that it should not be a problem, that I should come in with my birth certificate and old Child Travel Document. I haven't had the chance to do that yet but will certainly try and see what the full process is. I mentioned in the email that I have another citizenship and they did not make any comment about that being a concern.

There you go. That's good news.

Fact is the Ukrainian government knows that a lot of Ukrainians have a second citizenship but like with other things they just close their eyes so you should not have problems with this.

• 3 months later...
Timeline

Just in case anyone else is wondering about this: it's very easy to get done as long as one only left Ukraine after it separated from USSR. I have a friend who left in 1990 and it looks like he is not considered a Ukrainian citizen because he never registered with a consulate after the country became independent. I left in 2000 and they were able to track my records down and issue a passport with no problem.

They do not really care if you have another citizenship. It's not so much "closing their eyes" as just knowing that the law prohibiting dual citizenship is unconstitutional and they have no leg to stand on.

Hurray to not needing to apply for a visa to go to Russia or Brazil!

• 4 weeks later...

Dear all,

I just recently moved to the US on K1, got married, changed my last name. Texas marriage license does not address the issue of changing last name thus if one desires to take their spouse's last name they should simply state so, provide the marriage license and the documents will be issued in the new last name. All my US docs are in my married name (SSN, driver's license, work permit, etc.). Now that I have advance parole we are planning on traveling to France and Germany. And that's where I run into complications. My Ukrainian traveling passport is issued in my maiden name, so the embassies of the mentioned countries cannot issue me a visa under a name that differs from the one stated in my passport. To apply for a French visa here in Houston, TX I have to prove that I currently reside here by showing driver's license, lease contract, etc - all of which are in my new last name - thus I cannot state that I didn't change my last name otherwise I have no proof of residence here and the embassy will not accept my application.

I contacted the embassy of Ukraine and they say they can issue me a new travelling passport but the procedure will take about 6 months and I would have to provide an enormous amount of idiotic documents such as statements from the employers for the previous 5 years stating they have no financial claims to me (I've worked in 5 different companies, one of which does not exist any more not to mention I have no way of contacting any of them from here anyways) and statements from my parents saying that they are aware that I am residing in the US and they have no financial claims to me (#######? I am 32, what business is it of my parents where I reside?). So I guess my question is to those who have had their international passports changed here how did you do it and how long did it take? Is there a way to make it all easier? Any suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Dear all,

I just recently moved to the US on K1, got married, changed my last name. Texas marriage license does not address the issue of changing last name thus if one desires to take their spouse's last name they should simply state so, provide the marriage license and the documents will be issued in the new last name. All my US docs are in my married name (SSN, driver's license, work permit, etc.). Now that I have advance parole we are planning on traveling to France and Germany. And that's where I run into complications. My Ukrainian traveling passport is issued in my maiden name, so the embassies of the mentioned countries cannot issue me a visa under a name that differs from the one stated in my passport. To apply for a French visa here in Houston, TX I have to prove that I currently reside here by showing driver's license, lease contract, etc - all of which are in my new last name - thus I cannot state that I didn't change my last name otherwise I have no proof of residence here and the embassy will not accept my application.

I contacted the embassy of Ukraine and they say they can issue me a new travelling passport but the procedure will take about 6 months and I would have to provide an enormous amount of idiotic documents such as statements from the employers for the previous 5 years stating they have no financial claims to me (I've worked in 5 different companies, one of which does not exist any more not to mention I have no way of contacting any of them from here anyways) and statements from my parents saying that they are aware that I am residing in the US and they have no financial claims to me (#######? I am 32, what business is it of my parents where I reside?). So I guess my question is to those who have had their international passports changed here how did you do it and how long did it take? Is there a way to make it all easier? Any suggestions?

Changing the name on your Ukrainian passport will indeed be a lengthy process, but it sure sounds like a much more complicated process than it should be. Either way, I would expect it to take 2-3 months at least.

Keep in mind that while many agencies may issue you new IDs just by showing the marriage certificate - which shows your old name - you may also be able to get an official name change certificate, but the exact rules around that vary by state. I wonder if that might make getting the name changed on the Ukrainian passport easier.

With that in mind, is there any way you can get the French consulate to issue you a visa with your old name by showing your marriage certificate along with your other IDs? It certainly sounds like a very sticky situation to be in, but from their point of view, it only makes sense to issue you a visa for the name on your valid passport.

This also makes me wonder how much documentation will you need to show to the border agents upon return to the USA. They will certainly not care what name you have on the driver's license, only your passport and visa.

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

A little bit of a 'side-topic' but I have mentioned in other threads that it makes a lot of sense for ALL women to keep their birth names after marriage.

We see an example of the usefulness of that here in this thread.

My Ukrainian wife has no intention of changing her name to mine on any documents.

I suggested this route (keep her own name) and she agreed.

She owns properties in Ukraine, and it would be a total nightmare for her to try to change those titles, etc.

Likewise she can travel using her Ukrainian passport with no problems concerning different names, etc.

I know there is some psychology in the woman wanting to adopt husband's last name; but it makes less and less sense in today's hectic international life.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Time Line - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

10 YEAR GREEN CARD PROCESS

July 22, 2017  ROC packet sent to Vermont.

July 24, 2017  ROC packet signed for in Vermont.

August 8, 2017  NOA received at house.  15 days since ROC signed for in VSC.

August 12, 2017 ASC appointment received. 19 days since ROC in VSC.

August 25, 2017 BIO completed. 32 days since ROC received in VSC.

August 11, 2018  18 month 'Courtesy Copy' extension letter received.  Critical number  297

October 20, 2018 18 month 'Official' extension letter received.  Critical number 297

December 4, 2018  USCIS Account shows: We approved your Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, 

December 4, 2018, ordered your new card for Receipt # EAC17297003XX, and will mail to the address you gave.

491 days from NOA issued by VSC until Petition approved.

December 7, 2018 USCIS sent notice:  Card mailed.

December 12, 2018 Ten year Green Card received from Lees Summit, MO

499 days from NOA issued by VSC until Green Card received.

- - - - - - - - - - 

CITIZENSHIP PROCESS

December 6, 2018 submitted N-400 application on-line.  Estimated Completion Time: 8 months or August 2019.

December 8, 2018 received notice on USCIS that Biometrics scheduled . . . but the actual date was not yet shown.

December 11, 2018 saw in 'Documents' section of USCIS that Bio scheduled for 24 December 2018.

December 21, 2018 saw on USCIS website that they will be closed 24 December 2018 as extra holiday.

January 9, 2019 went for re-scheduled BIO appointment.  33 days after N-400 submitted on-line.

February 19, 2019 received letter in US mail that Citizenship interview scheduled for 26 March 2019. 74 days after submission on-line.

March 26, 2019 Citizenship interview scheduled for.  109 days after N-400 submitted on-line.

March 26, 2019 Passed Citizenship interview.

April 12, 2019  Received notice that Oath Ceremony had been scheduled for 24 April 2019.  17 days after interview.

April 24, 2019  Oath Ceremony completed.  29 days after interview.     139 days after N-400 submitted on-line.

April 25, 2019  USA Passport Application submitted.

May 3, 2019     USA Passport received.    149 days after N-400 submitted on-line.

May 9, 2019     Certificate of Naturalization and Citizenship returned in mail.

Timeline

Believe it or not, there are places in the world that require a visa from Americans but not from Ukrainians. Some are just a matter of paying an extra fee (such as Turkey, Argentina), others are quite a bit more complex (such as Russia). I'm starting to develop an affinity for long term travel, and it's nice to have options.

Not true . . . with respect to Turkey.

Citizens of USA and Ukraine are treated the same upon entering Turkey.

Neither need advance visa, and only pay for visa stamp upon entry.

Don't know about Argentina as I have never been there.

Edited by Leo7777

August 11, 2018  18 month 'Courtesy Copy' extension letter received.  Critical number  297

October 20, 2018 18 month 'Official' extension letter received.  Critical number 297

December 4, 2018  USCIS Account shows: We approved your Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, 

December 4, 2018, ordered your new card for Receipt # EAC17297003XX, and will mail to the address you gave.

- - - - - - - - - - 

CITIZENSHIP PROCESS

December 6, 2018 submitted N-400 application on-line.  Estimated Completion Time: 8 months or August 2019.

December 8, 2018 received notice on USCIS that Biometrics scheduled . . . but the actual date was not yet shown.

December 11, 2018 saw in 'Documents' section of USCIS that Bio scheduled for 24 December 2018.

December 21, 2018 saw on USCIS website that they will be closed 24 December 2018 as extra holiday.

January 9, 2019 went for re-scheduled BIO appointment.  33 days after N-400 submitted on-line.

February 19, 2019 received letter in US mail that Citizenship interview scheduled for 26 March 2019. 74 days after submission on-line.

March 26, 2019 Citizenship interview scheduled for.  109 days after N-400 submitted on-line.

April 12, 2019  Received notice that Oath Ceremony had been scheduled for 24 April 2019.  17 days after interview.

April 24, 2019  Oath Ceremony completed.  29 days after interview.     139 days after N-400 submitted on-line.

May 3, 2019     USA Passport received.    149 days after N-400 submitted on-line.

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Not true . . . with respect to Turkey.

Citizens of USA and Ukraine are treated the same upon entering Turkey.

Neither need advance visa, and only pay for visa stamp upon entry.

Don't know about Argentina as I have never been there.

Ukrainian citizens don't pay anything to get the entrance stamp in Turkey. But really, for me it's Russia and other former USSR countries that make the biggest difference. I plan to travel around those and a Ukrainian passport makes it much simpler - no visas to apply for and longer stays allowed.

Timeline

Ukrainian citizens don't pay anything to get the entrance stamp in Turkey. .

Must be a fairly recent change then, if true.

I have been to Turkey several times accompanied by a Ukrainian citizen.

We both (I am USA citizen) needed to pay the same visa fee (entrance stamp) upon arrival in Turkey.

- - - - - - - - - - 

CITIZENSHIP PROCESS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Just in case anyone else is wondering about this: it's very easy to get done as long as one only left Ukraine after it separated from USSR. I have a friend who left in 1990 and it looks like he is not considered a Ukrainian citizen because he never registered with a consulate after the country became independent. I left in 2000 and they were able to track my records down and issue a passport with no problem.

They do not really care if you have another citizenship. It's not so much "closing their eyes" as just knowing that the law prohibiting dual citizenship is unconstitutional and they have no leg to stand on.

Hurray to not needing to apply for a visa to go to Russia or Brazil!

Thank you soooo much for this information!!!

Can I ask you a few questions about the process?

1) What documents did consulate ask you to bring?

My husband was born in Kiev to Ukrainian parents in 1986, when it was a part of USSR, he left Ukraine in '98 when he was just 12. He has his birth certificate. He doesn't have any child travel passports or any other travel documents, he was little and didn't think of it. His parents don't have any documents left as they renewed their passports after that. Mother says that my husbands was added to her travel passport but she no longer has that document. So basically he has only birth certificate and some of his elementary school records to prove that he was born in Ukraine and stayed there after '91.

2) How long did it take to get a passport?

3) Was it expensive?

I'd love my husband to have a Ukrainian travel passport because it's difficult to deal with Russian consulate every time we want to visit my parents.

Thank you in advance.

Timeline

Thank you soooo much for this information!!!

Can I ask you a few questions about the process?

1) What documents did consulate ask you to bring?

My husband was born in Kiev to Ukrainian parents in 1986, when it was a part of USSR, he left Ukraine in '98 when he was just 12. He has his birth certificate. He doesn't have any child travel passports or any other travel documents, he was little and didn't think of it. His parents don't have any documents left as they renewed their passports after that. Mother says that my husbands was added to her travel passport but she no longer has that document. So basically he has only birth certificate and some of his elementary school records to prove that he was born in Ukraine and stayed there after '91.

2) How long did it take to get a passport?

3) Was it expensive?

I'd love my husband to have a Ukrainian travel passport because it's difficult to deal with Russian consulate every time we want to visit my parents.

Thank you in advance.

The basic test for Ukrainian citizenship in this case is that he was living in Ukraine at the time of the declaration of independence, in August 1991. Since he left in '98, this should be easy peasy.

The first step is to visit the nearest consulate or embassy and ask them about getting the passport. I'm from Canada so the minor details may differ, but the overall process should be the same in the USA.

Since there are no currently valid documents aside from birth certificate (which is not sufficient for citizenship, but bring it along anyway), they will ask you to fill out a form which they will use to try and find the records in Ukraine's internal registry. The information needed for this form is the last known address where he lived in Ukraine. So if he was 12 and does not remember exactly, now is the time to check any old paperwork or ask parents or what not and find out the exact address. Together with the name, dob and other details (which should be easy to provide) they will use it to match up the info and send a confirmation to your embassy that yes, so and so is a Ukrainian citizen and eligible for passport.

This part takes anywhere from a couple of weeks to a couple of months, and costs nothing! There is no way to speed it up, it just depends on how lucky you are and how quickly they find the records back in Ukraine.

The next part is to actually apply for passport. Check with your consulate for the exact details, such as amount and form of payment (mine was a tad bit over $100, payable as a bank draft) and if you need to bring ready made photos. Mine did not accept pre-made photos, they take a digital photo and it's attached to the application in the computer right away. Well, not right away, it took 3 attempts because the application they use it a bit buggy ;)

This next and final part takes about 3 months. I'm not sure if there is any rush processing available, I was not in a rush. I'm actually going to pick up my passport next week.

Good luck!

Edited by Nisilsin

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.