cpinkley

any probs change of address

11 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband and I are house hunting and may actually be purchasing a house earlier than we thought (our move will only be 15 mins away from current address). has anyone filed the change of address on-line? I am at the point where I don't expect interview for a few more months but of course want to make sure all USCIS mail gets to me. when we do move my plan is file change of address on-line, call customer service and double check change is accepted, get mail forward service from USPS and go to new local USPS station to add names to the new address- if you could share any advice on address change that would be great-thanks!

married USC 11/25/06 H1B originally

12/19/06 NOA dates

bio 1/19/07 Charlotte, NC ) (DO Fairfax,VA aka Washington DC)

rfe 1/12/07

rfe received 1/23/07processing resumed

LUD 485 1/24, 1/29

LUD 130 1/10, 6/30

LUD 765 1/29, 2/23, 2/27, 3/9

2/28 EAD approved, got in mail 3/4

still waiting for interview notice!

EAD renewal sent 11/19/07 NOA 11/28/07 bio appt 12/19/07

353 days since I filed! finally got IL 12/4

interview scheduled 1/9/08

recv'd EAD renewal 12/31/08

recv'd welcome letter 2/9/08

recv'd GC 2/12/08

petition to remove conditions I751 filed Nov 5 / 09

received NOA and extension of conditional card for 1 year Nov 11/09

biometrics appt Dec 11/09

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Changing address seems to be the main cause of lost paperwork, the post office wont forward paper work sent by USCIS, and some miss their AOS interview because they did not receive notice or the interview, and find themselves with deportation proceedings.

You want to send them an AR-11, and call USCIS several times to change and confirm the change. Also watch the USCIS website for your case status closely to know if they send you anything.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Timeline

Thanks-I have also been reading about the sponsor (i.e. my husband) having to file an I865 when there is an address change-where does that form get sent to?-anyone do this form too? Spoke to my landlord today and she said after we move she will check the mail for us-she owns the house we are currently renting, apparently USPS will not forward mail sent by USCIS-lovely!

12/19/06 NOA dates

rfe 1/12/07

LUD 485 1/24, 1/29

LUD 130 1/10, 6/30

recv'd GC 2/12/08

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Thanks-I have also been reading about the sponsor (i.e. my husband) having to file an I865 when there is an address change-where does that form get sent to?-anyone do this form too? Spoke to my landlord today and she said after we move she will check the mail for us-she owns the house we are currently renting, apparently USPS will not forward mail sent by USCIS-lovely!

There are a number of things you can do to help this succeed. Getting your landlady on board is good, and you can talk to your letter carrier and let her know. SOME mail does get fwd'd by USCIS/USPS--all of our important stuff was forwarded.

Also be sure your names are inside your new mailbox.

To successfully change your mailing address, from the Dept of Overkill:

-file AR-11 as required by law. This does not change your *mailing* address, but it informs USCIS where you might have been, at one time. Just do it, it's the law.

In the past, our predecessor, the INS, required every alien in the United States to report his or her address annually, in January. This requirement was eliminated in 1980 and annual reporting is no longer required. However, if you are not a U.S. citizen, the law still requires that you report any change of address change within 10 days of the change.

How Do I Report a Change of Address to the USCIS?

AR-11 does not generally generate a NOA receipt. Send by trackable mail.

-Copy of AR-11 to any LOCAL or district office where you might have a file. Include a letter saying: change my mailing address

-copy of AR-11 to any Service Center where you might have a file. Include a letter saying: change my mailing address

-Phone call to 1-800 MisInformation line with the request: please change my mailing address

-file I-865 for USC Sponsor as required by law. You *may* get a NOA for this one and it *might* change the Sponsor's mailing address. Or not.

Sponsor's Notice of Change of Address

-file Change of Address and Mail Forwarding with the USPS. Your USCIS mail *might* get forwarded to your new addy. Or returned to USCIS, you never know. Unfortunate side effect: the PO sells your new address to bulk mailers and you are now back on every junk mailing list under the sun.

Do-it-yourself: Stop junk mail, email and phone calls

http://www.obviously.com/junkmail/

30 days later

-Follow up phone call to 1-800 to see if address change is captured.

-Cross fingers and keep an eye on processing times and when you expect to be contacted. Don't let it go for ages and then say 'dude, where's my case?'.©

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

There are two issues here.

One you must file the AR-11. This is only so that the government can track where aliens in the country are physically located. It will do absolutely nothing about any other applications that you may have pending. Stupid; I know, but it is what it is. Just do it.

You will also need to notify any offices where you have any applications pending of your new address. This is the step that is overlooked and ends up causing a lot of misery.

I have moved twice and have had no issues.

Hope that helps clarify things for you.

t

My husband and I are house hunting and may actually be purchasing a house earlier than we thought (our move will only be 15 mins away from current address). has anyone filed the change of address on-line? I am at the point where I don't expect interview for a few more months but of course want to make sure all USCIS mail gets to me. when we do move my plan is file change of address on-line, call customer service and double check change is accepted, get mail forward service from USPS and go to new local USPS station to add names to the new address- if you could share any advice on address change that would be great-thanks!

Timeline

thanks for all the advice-the last thing I need when buying my first house and moving is to worry about USCIS stuff!!! how does one go about notifying local offices of the address? one poster suggested copies of the AR11 and a written letter. are the addresses to local offices easily accessed? could you explain exactly what you did? thank you!

12/19/06 NOA dates

rfe 1/12/07

LUD 485 1/24, 1/29

LUD 130 1/10, 6/30

recv'd GC 2/12/08

I filed my AR-11 online about 3-4 weeks ago and I have had no problems yet. It was quick and easy. Ive received a letter for each case that I have pending (AOS & EAD = 2 letters) informing me that all my information has been updated in their systems, and on my petitions.

Its obviously been done correctly so far as I wouldnt have recieved the letters at my new address. Also, the address that they have been sent from is the service centre where my petitions are being processed.

Just letting you know before you start sending copies of AR-11's all over the place. Of course, not everyones cases go smoothly and you might decide to take the advice already given by other VJ members as a precaution. Im actually surprised myself at how easy the online filing was and that Ive had a response so quick without any hiccups. Fingers crossed it continues that way from now on!. :unsure:

Good Luck with the house hunting!

carmel x

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I filed AR-11 online as well .. and then called the 1-800# to make sure they updated the info .. ( thay had ) good luck :dance:

~My AOS (K1)

Jan 19/07 NOA1

Feb 05/07 Transfered to CSC

Feb 08/07 Biometrics

Mar 30/07 Welcome notice sent

April 10/07 Card production ordered

April 13/07 Approval notice sent

April 16/07 Green card in hand

~My Sons AOS (K2) Age 11

Jan 19/07 NOA1

Feb 05/07 Transfered to CSC

Feb 08/07 Biometrics

Mar 30/07 Welcome notice sent

April 10/07 Card production ordered

April 13/07 Approval notice sent

April 16/07 Green card in hand

~My Daughters AOS (K2) Age 9

Jan 19/07 NOA1

Feb 07/07 RFE Snail mail

Feb 08/07 Biometrics

Feb 14/07 sent back RFE ~ Feb 21/07 email resp. RFE

Feb 29/07 Transfered to CSC !!

April 03/07 Card production ordered

April 04/07 Welcome notice sent

April 07/07 Welcome notice & Green card arrived

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

There probably has been improvement in the system. My experiences were is 2004 and a lot has changed since then. I would follow up with the misinformation line. Althought they don't often get it correct, if they can tell you the proper address it must have made the change somewhere.

t

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'd be convinced after I got my first piece of 'regular' USCIS mail (ie NOA or whatever you are expecting next). Getting confirmation of the mailing address change, in the mail, has not been a guarantee in the past of the change propagating to the actual office you need to hear from (local office or Service Center).

I *want* the online version to work. :)

You can browse to the Field Office addresses etc from uscis.gov

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

I changed my address twice in a year...!

When we sent our application for the first time, we put an wrong street number by mistake and we did not notice the mistake until our lawyer told us about finger print appointment.

Our lawyer changed our address on AR11, but he didn't call local office at the same time, which means they remained my wrong address. After that I never received any additional information from immigration and found something was wrong after checking my status on the webiste. Then I finally called local office to change our address. This mess delayed my process almost 3 months.

When we moved to different place, I filled out AR11 on line and called local office at the same time. The local office said to me I don't have to send mail to notify them. 4 days after the call, I received 3 same letters about confirmation of address change. It was quick!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.