susan+mike

Getting SSN after marriage?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't really remember as I have read so much info on this site.......... does it make any difference when you apply for your SSN? before or after you get married? I seem to remember someone on here having a problem getting it after they were married.... something to do with the married name? I will be getting married two days after I arrive in the US later this week and I understand you should wait approximately 2 weeks so that you are in the system before you apply for a SSN. Am I on the right track here? Any input greatly appreciated.

Susan

Feb 17/06 - I-129F Petition sent

Mar 1/06 - I-129F NOA1

May 12/06 - I-129F NOA2

June 7/06 - Packet 3 rec'd

Sept 6/06 - Packet 3 sent

Sept 15/06 - Rec'd letter with interview date

Sept 28/06 - Interview in Vancouver,BC and Visa in hand!

March 13/07 - US Entry

March 15/07 - WEDDING DAY

March 21/07 - AOS application & Interview through DORA Day 1

April 13/07 - Rec'd letter with Bio Appt. date Day 24

April 27/07 - Biometrics Appointment "touched" Day 38

April 30/07 - "Touched" Day 40

June 8/07 - Day 79...still waiting, haven't been touched or heard anything.

June 13/07 - Day 84..... I'm not having much faith in this DORA process..... closing in on the 90 day time frame real fast.....

June 19/07 - Day 90 ......nothing (Hubby calls Senator's Office)

June 20/07 - Day 91 - Got the "70 Day Letter" in the mail today :-(

June 22/07 - Mailed out EAD and AP by Priority Post Day 93

June 24/07 - EAD rec'd at Chicago Lockbox

June 29/07 - Day 100 - Infopass appt in OKC..... AOS stuck in name check

July 3/07 - Day 104 - Rec'd NOA for EAD

July 6/07 - Day 107 - Rec'd letter for EAD Bio Appt. for July 18th

July 18/07 -Biometrics

hi susan

i got married a week after i arrived in the states..you have to wait at least 2 weeks for you details for your entry to be put into the system for you to apply for your SSN.

I took every single bit of ID i had plus the marriage certficate ..

my timeline for SSN:

01/07/06-W/DAY

11/07/06-applied 4 SSN

24/7/06-received SSN

make sure they site your marriage certficate because when i went for mine .. I asked her if she need to see anything else i have to show for ID and she said no...I received a letter the following week to say I had to bring my marriage certificate in...

You also have to get your SSN before the I-94 expires I know there is a time frame before the expiry where you cant apply for the SSN.

good luck

kath

REMOVING CONDITIONS

11th Aug 2008 - Mailed I-751 to CSC.

12th Aug 2008 - Application received

14th Aug 2008 - Cheque cashed

18th Aug 2008 - Received NOA-dated the 12th

26th Aug 2008 - Received Biometrics letter

4th Sept 2008 - Biometrics-Detroit-Complete-'Touched'

5th Sept 2008 - 'Touched'

1st Dec 2008 - APPROVED-Card production ordered -112 days

8th Dec 2008 - USCIS mailed approval notice.

8th Dec 2008 - Received my 10 year Greencard in the mail. took 2 days.

Although I have the above date for approval my card actualy states the

2nd December..

Filed: Timeline

Susan,

Some people have problems, others do not. To minimize the chances of encountering a problem apply in you maiden name (so as to match the USCIS database) and do not let it be known that you are married.

Change the name on the card later, after you have adjusted status, when you will be wanting to replace the card anyway to remove the notation about employment authorization.

Yodrak

I don't really remember as I have read so much info on this site.......... does it make any difference when you apply for your SSN? before or after you get married? I seem to remember someone on here having a problem getting it after they were married.... something to do with the married name? I will be getting married two days after I arrive in the US later this week and I understand you should wait approximately 2 weeks so that you are in the system before you apply for a SSN. Am I on the right track here? Any input greatly appreciated.

Susan

Timeline
hi susan

i got married a week after i arrived in the states..you have to wait at least 2 weeks for you details for your entry to be put into the system for you to apply for your SSN.

I took every single bit of ID i had plus the marriage certficate ..

my timeline for SSN:

01/07/06-W/DAY

11/07/06-applied 4 SSN

24/7/06-received SSN

make sure they site your marriage certficate because when i went for mine .. I asked her if she need to see anything else i have to show for ID and she said no...I received a letter the following week to say I had to bring my marriage certificate in...

You also have to get your SSN before the I-94 expires I know there is a time frame before the expiry where you cant apply for the SSN.

good luck

kath

Thanks Kath.......... I am getting so confused :wacko: It seems nothing is the same for everyone!

Mar 1/06 - I-129F NOA1

May 12/06 - I-129F NOA2

March 13/07 - US Entry

June 13/07 - Day 84..... I'm not having much faith in this DORA process..... closing in on the 90 day time frame real fast.....

July 18/07 -Biometrics

Timeline
Susan,

Some people have problems, others do not. To minimize the chances of encountering a problem apply in you maiden name (so as to match the USCIS database) and do not let it be known that you are married.

Change the name on the card later, after you have adjusted status, when you will be wanting to replace the card anyway to remove the notation about employment authorization.

Yodrak

Susan

Thanks for the info Yodrak......... things are so confusing, seems nothing is the same for everyone when it comes to all the stuff we have to do for immigration. As kath replied to me she applied and got hers after she was married. If a person was denied a SSN when applying after being married.... would they not have to give you one without any hassle once you have your AOS?

Susan

Mar 1/06 - I-129F NOA1

May 12/06 - I-129F NOA2

March 13/07 - US Entry

July 18/07 -Biometrics

I don't know if this will help you, but here is the website fo the SSA. This tells you the rules!!

http://ssa.gov/pubs/10120.html

Timeline
I don't know if this will help you, but here is the website fo the SSA. This tells you the rules!!

http://ssa.gov/pubs/10120.html

Thanks Danny

Mar 1/06 - I-129F NOA1

May 12/06 - I-129F NOA2

March 13/07 - US Entry

July 18/07 -Biometrics

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Thanks for the info Yodrak......... things are so confusing, seems nothing is the same for everyone when it comes to all the stuff we have to do for immigration. As kath replied to me she applied and got hers after she was married. If a person was denied a SSN when applying after being married.... would they not have to give you one without any hassle once you have your AOS?

Susan

That's why Y suggested 'To minimize the chances of encountering a problem'.

They *do* have to give you one after your AOS.. do you want to wait that long?

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I took a look at the link provided and it lists the following:

If you are not a U.S. citizen, Social Security must see your current U.S. immigration documents. Acceptable documents from the Department of Homeland Security include your:

Form I-551 (includes machine-readable immigrant visa with your unexpired foreign passport);

I-94 with your unexpired foreign passport; or

Work permit card (I-766 or I-688B).

I would think as the first response suggests that if you wait the appropriate amount of time til your name is in the system, either is fine. The site makes no mention of marital status, just to ensure you have the appropriate documentation showing the old and new name.

Let us know how that works out.....we are planning to do the same...marry shortly after entry and then apply for the SSN and EAD. I'm a little confused about that process too :)

Cheers!

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The problems come when different SSA offices interpret the regulations differently. Some think "You are a K-1 Fiance. You are now married. You are no longer a Fiance. You are no longer eligible for a Social Security account". If this happens to you, holler for the manager, and take the POMS printout (see the Guide here). You may still wind up at a different office, or with no SS#. There is no need to mention your marital status at all, until you have a USCIS document with your new married name.

It is better to have a Social Security number in a maiden name than no SS# at all.

K-1s may only be issued a SS# in their first 76 days in the US. Do not delay.

The 2 weeks from entry wait is not required, it is a suggestion to ensure that your status has been entered into the SAVE database so your account can be immediately verified. Some people's entry is recorded immediately--you may have luck applying earlier. You can go to any (ie, the quietest) SSA office.

The final marriage problem is women wanting to be issued their SSA card in their new married name. This can not happen until there is supporting documentation from USCIS (EAD or Green Card). It is better to have a SS card in your maiden name than to have no SS card at all. You may update your SSA record with your married name, but they will not issue you a new card. It's been suggested that you not have the maiden name card on you when attempting this, as the worker may take away your maiden name card, leaving you with a number, but no card, until EAD or AOS completes.

Do not apply for an EAD until you are filing for it with the I-485, or it will not arrive in time to do you any good.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.