Glenn & Rosemarie

Homesickness and Adjusting to America

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Experiencing homesickness after some of the excitement settles down is very typical when your wife or fiance(e) comes to the United States to start a new life together. My wife has been here about 32 days now and the symptoms of homesickness were very evident after about 2 weeks. Here are some suggestions that have really been of great help to her. Many of these reccomendations were suggested by members of the Manila Interview thread.

1. Be patient, kind and loving. Hold her, listen to her and assure her of your love for her.

2. Install TPC - The Filipino Channel - My wife loves it!

3. Take her to church

4. Keep her busy

5. Search for Filipino stores, dining, etc. we found a great place in Jacksonville called Rustys Grill. It is Filipino cuisine and Karaoke. Rosemarie loved going here.

6. Introduce her to Filipinos in the community. Many of them understand her homesickness, as they experienced just the same when they first came here to start a new life.

7. Encourage her to call her friends and family back in the Philippines. We have Tel3 communications. Tel3 is inexpensive and easy to use (about 14 cents a minute to Cagayan de Oro). You can enroll online and it is far more convenient than purchasing phone calling cards.

I hope this thread will continue on, as it can be of great help to others.

Glenn

Glen, it's nice to hear Rosemarie is adjusting to life here. In our situation, we are very fortunate that Yazi has an aunt near to us. It is helping alot with her adjustment to life here. the Bay Area has a large filipino community with many filipino resources which will help with the adjustment. one thing that is taking time to adjust is the climate, but the most frustrating thing for her right now is not being able to work.

She really misses her job alot. She was a rescue technician in the Philippines, so her job skills are not directly transferable. we are searching now for something she will be inetrested in doing. I'll be supportive of her in whatever she choses to do.

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

Timeline
Glen, it's nice to hear Rosemarie is adjusting to life here. In our situation, we are very fortunate that Yazi has an aunt near to us. It is helping alot with her adjustment to life here. the Bay Area has a large filipino community with many filipino resources which will help with the adjustment. one thing that is taking time to adjust is the climate, but the most frustrating thing for her right now is not being able to work.

She really misses her job alot. She was a rescue technician in the Philippines, so her job skills are not directly transferable. we are searching now for something she will be inetrested in doing. I'll be supportive of her in whatever she choses to do.

Roy, It is great to know Yazi is adjusting well and thank you for your expressed concerns for Rosemarie. Rosemarie would like to work also, but first things first. She has a degree in business management, but I don't think that many of her credentials are transferrable here. She will be taking her exam for the learners driving permit on Monday. Learning to drive I think will give her much more freedom than relying on me for transportation. Tonight we are going to "Rustys Grill" in Jacksonville. She is excited about that, as she loves Filipino food and singing karaoke. She is so talented at playing the guitar and her voice is beautiful.

Hi,

I'm really glad somone has started a post on this subject. It's very much needed from what I've been reading about others experiences.

I really don't have much to offer at this time as Lorna is still waiting for her interview. (mar.19)

But, today I was doing some research.

I have had Directv for about 15yrs and I'm looking into getting the Filipino package for Lorna.

They have 2 packages one with 6 filipina tv stations and 4 radio stations for $26.00 a month buy you have to already have one of DTV's other packages.

Then they have another package with an extra channel.... the number 1 filipino station in the PI. Its an extra $9.00 a month.($35.00 for that package)

I'm pretty sure you can use one of the old round 18" dishes and a newer receiver if you want to and sometimes they will give you the whole setup for free.

Anyway, I'm still checking into it and am fairly knowlegable with DTV (I have 5 receivers, 2 dishes and a 4x8 multi-switch. If I can be of help just ask.

God bless,

Mike

2_us1.JPG

May 1,2006 Went to Philippines and married my sweety.

----------------------------------

Case completed at NVC 12-01-06 Yaaaaay

Received Interview date notice Feb 6

Physical Feb 20-21 (Went well!)

Interview date March 19"

Be sure to print out a copy of silly girls famous ST. Lukes step by step story.... Its fantastic and made it incredibly easy for my wife to go through the 2 day procedure. I will go find it and put a link.... here it is:

http://www.raymonddouglas.com/visa/medical.pdf

Do yourself a favor and print this out and take it with you to your physical....You'll be glad you did!!

Entered USA 06/06/2007

-----------------------------------------

Naturalization

Sent N-400 on 3/11/10

They received 3/15/10

Cashed Check 3/19/10

Received NOA 3/29/10

Received bio notice 4/05/10

Early biometrics 4/14/10 different from

the date assigned (Original BIO date was 4/27)

Received interview date notice 5/19

Interview 6/24

Oath 8/13 Done.... and DONE!!!! :-)

Timeline
Hi,

I'm really glad somone has started a post on this subject. It's very much needed from what I've been reading about others experiences.

I really don't have much to offer at this time as Lorna is still waiting for her interview. (mar.19)

But, today I was doing some research.

I have had Directv for about 15yrs and I'm looking into getting the Filipino package for Lorna.

They have 2 packages one with 6 filipina tv stations and 4 radio stations for $26.00 a month buy you have to already have one of DTV's other packages.

Then they have another package with an extra channel.... the number 1 filipino station in the PI. Its an extra $9.00 a month.($35.00 for that package)

I'm pretty sure you can use one of the old round 18" dishes and a newer receiver if you want to and sometimes they will give you the whole setup for free.

Anyway, I'm still checking into it and am fairly knowlegable with DTV (I have 5 receivers, 2 dishes and a 4x8 multi-switch. If I can be of help just ask.

God bless,

Mike

Hi Mike, we had the Directv international dish installed. I have a cable package already that is part of our homeowners association in the subdivision that I live in. You are right, I had to buy another package from Directv to get the Filipino channels. Total monthly with tax is $42. However it is well worth it, as it seems to make Rosemarie feel close to home when she watches it.

You can also check with your local Cable TV provider. Cox Communications offers The Filipino Channel (ABS-CBN) for about $12.00/month. But it's only the one channel.

If it's going to be, it's up to me!

LoveLine (aka Timeline)

January 2005 - Met Annie online

February 13th 2006 - Met in Real - WOW!! Ikaw maganda!

February 14th 2006 - Proved I was really serious, proposed to Annie - She said "Yes"

February 2006 - January 2007 - Both working, saving, planning. Continuously chasing Annie online, on phone...

January 22, 2007 - February 4th, 2007 - Together again in Philippines, working on paperwork, visiting family.

February 27th 2007 - I-129F Mailed to Nebraska

March 6th - NOA1 Received.

May 23rd - NOA2, Received Approval Email

June 14th - Receive letter from NVC, packet on the way to Manila Embassy

July 30th - Annie receives packet from Embassy, appointment scheduled for September.

August 29th - Annie survives Blood Draw, Injections, and successfully completes Medical at St. Lukes.

September 13th - Annie is a huge success at the Embassy, SHE IS APPROVED!

September 20th - Visa in Hand, tickets purchased..

December 18th - Jumped on Airplane, Philippines for Christmas and New Year's.

December 27th - CFO Seminar Succesfully Completed

January 8th - Jumped on Airplane to USA together, Seattle POE, arrived home to Kansas.

March 14, 2008 - Married

May 19, 2008 - AOS NOA1 Recieved, Biometrics scheduled for June 18.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

it's true about the The Filipino Channels (TFC). my mom enjoys watching it very much even though she's been living in the US for a long time. it's worth the $42 bucks. i did not have to get it for my husband since he hated watching local tv in the Philippines anyways. :unsure: he like the shows on US cable channels instead. i did not have to adjust on that. :)

Fate is building a bridge of chance for the one you love...

K1 (I-129F) to CSC to Manila Embassy, Philippines

Sent : 01-28-2006 / Interview: 09-14-2006 / POE: 10-11-2006 / Applied for SSN card: 11-17-2006 / Received SSN card: 11-27-2006 / Got Hitched: 11-09-2006 !!!

AOS and EAD Application

Sent via USPS Priority: 11-28-2006 / Received @ Chicago: 12-01-2006 / NOA1 AOS & EAD: 12-06-2006 / Biometrics Appt: 12-22-2006 / Interview Date: 03-13-2007 / EAD Card Production Ordered: 02-15-2007 / EAD Card Sent: 02-20-2007 / EAD Card Received: 02-22-2007

[Approved: 03-13-2007 / GC Received: 03-22-2007 / CA License Issued: 04-12-2007 / Removing Conditions: 12-13-2008]

Removing Conditions

Sent via USPS Priority: 12-19-2008 / Received @ CSC: 12-22-2008 / NOA: 12-25-2008 / Biometrics Appt: 01-14-2009 / Card Production ordered: 02-13-2009 / GC Received: sometime in March 2009

Claudeth took to America like a duck to water. She loves the malls and the food. She has put on a few pounds from the food :P She does miss the Filipino food she used to get at the malls in CDO and also the karaoke places. There are a few around here but normally only have karaoke on Tuesday or Thursday nights. I am amazed by how many Filipinos can sing and sing well. Maybe baby could have been an American Idol if she would have gotten up and gone up the Pasadena at O-dark thirty to sign up for the competition :P

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Timeline
Claudeth took to America like a duck to water. She loves the malls and the food. She has put on a few pounds from the food :P She does miss the Filipino food she used to get at the malls in CDO and also the karaoke places. There are a few around here but normally only have karaoke on Tuesday or Thursday nights. I am amazed by how many Filipinos can sing and sing well. Maybe baby could have been an American Idol if she would have gotten up and gone up the Pasadena at O-dark thirty to sign up for the competition :P

I am glad that Claudeth adjusted well. Rosemarie seems to be adjusting much better now. There was a period of about two weeks that she seemed depressed and scared. Karaoke! now that is very popular with Rosemarie also. We go once a week to a Filipino Karaoke Bar & Grill. The singing is really good there. We live in St. Augustine Florida of which is about 30 minutes south of Jacksonville, Florida. It's a big difference here than her home in Cagayan de Oro.

• 2 weeks later...
Experiencing homesickness after some of the excitement settles down is very typical when your wife or fiance(e) comes to the United States to start a new life together. My wife has been here about 32 days now and the symptoms of homesickness were very evident after about 2 weeks. Here are some suggestions that have really been of great help to her. Many of these reccomendations were suggested by members of the Manila Interview thread.

1. Be patient, kind and loving. Hold her, listen to her and assure her of your love for her.

3. Take her to church

4. Keep her busy

5. Search for Filipino stores, dining, etc. we found a great place in Jacksonville called Rustys Grill. It is Filipino cuisine and Karaoke. Rosemarie loved going here.

6. Introduce her to Filipinos in the community. Many of them understand her homesickness, as they experienced just the same when they first came here to start a new life.

7. Encourage her to call her friends and family back in the Philippines. We have Tel3 communications. Tel3 is inexpensive and easy to use (about 14 cents a minute to Cagayan de Oro). You can enroll online and it is far more convenient than purchasing phone calling cards.

Glenn

when i came here from the philippines , i didn't feel anything..yah a little bit whwn i was at the airport alone & waiting for my flight..my husband made me feel so loved that i never think i'n 8,000 miles away from home..he bought me my magic sing so i can sing in the house ..& go to the filipino stores once in a while...we always have filipino foods for meal so i really feel like home..very comfortable! i'm here 4 months now , i never felt homesick! actually my husband miss the philippines more than i do!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hmm i expect my wife to fit in quite well here. In fact she we be able to translate for me when we goto walmart or taco bell,haha. I think she will be shocked to see how much Hawaii is like the philippines. It will be like she never left. So I am not worried. I think the hardest part will be learning how to drive.

• 3 weeks later...

3. Take her to church

4. Keep her busy

Glenn

Hi Glen,

Im so sorry to hear your story..Where she particularly from in Phils.??

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Does anyone know about getting Thai TV channnels here in the states?

SAO'S AND RANDY'S TIMELINES:

K-1

03/05/07-NAO1

06/03/07-NOA2

08/06/07-INTERVIEW>>PASSED INTERVIEW!!

08/21/07-POE LAX!!!

09/24/07-Wedding

AOS:

10/29/07-All, (three) NOA1's received in the mail!

11/20/07-Biometric's Appointment/Complied with..no problems

12/18/07-NOA for interview appointment...02/12/08

01/04/08-Recieved EAD card and AP in the US mail!

02/12/08-AOS APPROVED AT INTERVIEW; CARD ORDERED

02/28/08-Green Card arrived in mail.

Removal of Conditions:

11/12/09-Mailed I-751 package

11/23/09-NOA 1

01/21/10-USCIS confirms no Biometrics

02/16/10-Card Production ordered

02/27/10-Green Card arrived!

N-400 Naturalization Citizenship:

12/12/2014-N-400 Package received by Lewisville Lockbox

12/18/2014-I-797C NOA received in mail; sent in old version of N-400

01/02/2014-USCIS Lewisville Received Package

01/06/2014-Checked Cashed

01/12/2014-Email from USCIS Receipt of Package

02/03/15-Biometrics Completed

02/04/15-USCIS notice of scheduling Interview

02/24/15-Interview scheduled for 03/31/2015

03/31/2015-Interview>Went Very well!

04/28/2015-OATH

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.