charlyeldios

Do I need to be in the US to begin the K-1 Visa Petition?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hi, my name is Faye and I'm living in Buenos Aires, Argentina, with my boyfriend Lucas. I'm a US born citizen and he is Argentinian, we want to apply for the K-1 visa, so we can get married in the US and start a life there.

I've read all about the forms and I think that there will be no problem with them (I-129F, Affidavit, DS-156, Adjustment of Status, etc). But I still don't know if I could file the I-129F petition form here (Argentina), I know that I have to be back by the time of the NOA2, because I will need a job for the Affidavit, but I would really like to stay with him before the NOA2 happens.

IF I cannot file the package from here, I guess I could send all the forms and information to my Dad (living in the US)and he could do it for me, is that allowed?

I hope you can help me, Faye. :help:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

You can file from abroad, that's fine. There are instructions on the form for where to mail your package. There are more than a few couples here were both are living abroad. And you don't necessarily have to have an American job after you get the NOA2. Start looking at the support requirements now, but you may have a long wait until they become a big concern. (If you are fortunate enough to come from a state that files in Vermont, start looking sooner.)

If your dad supports your marriage and meets the income requirements, you can ask if he's willing to co-sponsor your fiance.

You'll be fine.

Good luck!

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-22-07 DHS cashes the I-129F check

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

1-26-07 NOA1 arrives in the post

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-3-07 NOA2!!! Two approval emails received at 11:36am

5-10-07 Arrived at NVC/5-14-07 Left NVC - London-bound!

5-17-07??? London receives?

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-26-07 Packet 3 received

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-06-07 Medical in London (called to schedule on May 29)

6-11-07 "Medical in file" at Embassy

6-14-07 Resent packet 3 to Embassy after hearing nothing about first try

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-25-07 DOS says interview date is August 21

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

7-06-07 Interview at 9:00 am at the London Embassy - Approved.

7-16-07 Visa delivered after 'security checks' completed

I-129F approved in 111 days; Interview 174 days from filing

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

*Be afraid or be informed - the choice is yours.*

We filed from the UK but put instructions to send information to our address in the US :)

Tony (UK) and Danielle (US) K-1 Visa journey

2007:

February, 06: Sent I-129f package to the US to be routed to Vermont

February, 09: I-129f forwarded to Vermont USCIS from US Home

February, 12: I-129f arrives VSC :) Journey really starts!

February, 13: NOA1 Reciept date

February, 16: VSC Cashes the check

March, 09: NOA2 Email. yay!

March, 11: Touched... Probably for the last time at VSC :)

March, 14: NVC Recieved package

March, 15: NVC Sent package to London

March, 20: Package recieved in London

March, 28: Packet 3 recieved!

April, 2: Packet 3 Sent back to London

April, 10: Packet 3 recieved by London Embassy

April, 17: Packet 4 recieved

May, 1: Medical

May, 29: Interview! - APPROVED

June, 1: Visa in Hand

July 18: Fly back together POE

July, 24: Legally married!

July 27: Filed for AOS

July 30: AOS recieved in Chiacgo

August 24: NOA1 for EAD, AP and AOS

September 15: Real Marriage with friends and family

September 18: Biometrics

October 3: EAD card production ordered!

October 11: EAD card in hand!

October 15: Case forwarded to California!

Nov, 08: Card production ordered! AWESOME

Nov, 15: Green Card Recieved (even though it's yellow)! AWESOME

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline
We filed from the UK but put instructions to send information to our address in the US :)

Hey, thanks a lot guys, I feel so much more relieved... But now I have a couple of questions more to ask you. Being abroad, how or where did you put instructions to send information to your address in the US? In the cover letter? Did you explain your situation?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Palestine
Timeline

Hey, thanks a lot guys, I feel so much more relieved... But now I have a couple of questions more to ask you. Being abroad, how or where did you put instructions to send information to your address in the US? In the cover letter? Did you explain your situation?

I lived with my fiance overseas for almost a year and we filed our petition from overseas. We mailed our I-129 to my mother in the states then she mailed it off to the Service Center. I put my U.S. address in the forms that are required to be filed out and explained my situation on a blank piece of paper that was attached to the copies of tickets and passport pages that I submitted.

Good Luck! :thumbs:

Palestine the world's largest open air prison

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

I just filed this week and I'm living in Japan. I just used my parents address because I'm moving from here in 2 weeks and will be homeless until June (Well, traveling with no permanent addy) As I will be between jobs, I will have my dad co-sponser the I-134 and everything should be fine. The instructions state that if you file from abroad you should use your last US address to determinte which Service Center to file with. Good luck!

Ryan

3/12/2007 Sent I-129F

3/16/2007 NOA1

6/04/2007 Touched!!!!!

6/05/2007 Touched

6/??/2007 NOA2 - Date unknown due to CSC incompetence

6/14/2007 I-129 received by NVC

6/18/2007 I-129 sent to Japan

6/23/2007 Packet 3 received

6/29/2007 Touched??? (At CSC where it left 3 weeks ago)

6/30/2007 Touched again!?!

7/14/2007 Finally received NOA2 Hard copy

8/20/2007 Interview Date

8/22/2007 Receives K-1

10/08/2007 Arrival in the US

12/08/2007 Wedding

3/07/2008 Filed AOS

3/26/2008 Biometrics

5/15/2008 Received EAD

5/26/2008 Received SSN

6/04/2008 Green Card!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.