Snag

USC Daughter Traveling

6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

G'day folks,

My USC husband and I (2yr LPR - applied for ROC) traveled to Australia (home country) a week ago with our USC 14 month old daughter. My husband is heading back to the US in a week, and I'll be here for another two weeks with our daughter (she is on an ETA). I'm traveling on my Australian passport which is in my maiden name. Will I have difficulties entering the US with my daughter considering I'm doing so without my husband? I think I read here once or whatever that I could not travel alone with our daughter without my husband's presence or approval. This site has a wealth of info, but like anything, there's always that one guy who throws misinformation out there, so I thought I would clarify. Thank you!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

G'day folks,

My USC husband and I (2yr LPR - applied for ROC) traveled to Australia (home country) a week ago with our USC 14 month old daughter. My husband is heading back to the US in a week, and I'll be here for another two weeks with our daughter (she is on an ETA). I'm traveling on my Australian passport which is in my maiden name. Will I have difficulties entering the US with my daughter considering I'm doing so without my husband?See below. I think I read here once or whatever that I could not travel alone with our daughter without my husband's presence or approval. Does that make sense, isn't she your child also?This site has a wealth of info, but like anything, there's always that one guy who throws misinformation out there, so I thought I would clarify. Thank you!

With the proper documentation you shouldn't have any issues traveling. I don't understand how you could not travel alone with your own daughter???

Documents you should consider bringing for yourself: Your valid Australian passport, your conditional Green Card (if it has expired, also bring your I-797c ROC petition receipt/extension letter), a copy of your marriage certificate.

Documents you should consider bringing for your daughter: Her valid US passport, evidence of your parental relationship (i.e., US or foreign birth certificate, adoption decree, divorce/custody decree, CRBA document [FS-240]).

Good luck on your immigration journey.

~Moved from Tourist Visas to Working and Traveling During US Immigration Forum~

~Similar topics are often discussed at this forum~

Edited by Pitaya

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

With the proper documentation you shouldn't have any issues traveling. I don't understand how you could not travel alone with your own daughter???

Documents you should consider bringing for yourself: Your valid Australian passport, your conditional Green Card (if it has expired, also bring your I-797c ROC petition receipt/extension letter), a copy of your marriage certificate.

Documents you should consider bringing for your daughter: Her valid US passport, evidence of your parental relationship (i.e., US or foreign birth certificate, adoption decree, divorce/custody decree, CRBA document [FS-240]).

~Moved from Tourist Visas to Working and Traveling During US Immigration Forum~

~Similar topics are often discussed at this forum~

Right. I have read a few times on this forum, "You (LPR) can't travel alone with your USC child." I'm glad that's bollocks. Many thanks for your help.

Well I highly suggest a letter of travel consent. Myself and my ex have both been asked for it most of the time we've travelled alone with our daughter (to and from Canada, the USA, and NZ.) I also make sure she has one from each of us when she travels alone to visit me and to go back to Canada.

It's easy to do and to get notarized. (UPS store generally can do notarization.)

http://www.childtravelconsent.com/

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/268/~/children---child-traveling-with-one-parent-or-someone-who-is-not-a-parent-or

https://smartraveller.gov.au/guide/travelling-with-children.html

Edited by NLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Well I highly suggest a letter of travel consent. Myself and my ex have both been asked for it most of the time we've travelled alone with our daughter (to and from Canada, the USA, and NZ.) I also make sure she has one from each of us when she travels alone to visit me and to go back to Canada.

It's easy to do and to get notarized. (UPS store generally can do notarization.)

http://www.childtravelconsent.com/

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/268/~/children---child-traveling-with-one-parent-or-someone-who-is-not-a-parent-or

https://smartraveller.gov.au/guide/travelling-with-children.html

Thanks NLR, good to know. I can understand the intent what with all of the human trafficking happening.....wow, we do live in some crazy times. The advice/info in links #1 & #3, puts it all together, supplemental parental relationship documentation.

Though, I have to tell you my personal experience traveling with my then 8 year old niece. My now ex-wife and I took her niece on a trip to Montreal from Colorado. OMG, I sheaf of required papers was amazing !!! Never was asked about the papers when leaving the US, or arriving at Trudeau airport in Montreal. But, when coming back through US-CBP pre-clearance at Trudeau airport, the officer looked at all of the docs, then directly questioned the niece. Did she have a good time in Montreal? Was she safe? Did she know the two adults she was traveling with? Did she want to come back to the US? Pretty intense, but to the point, and very professional. He wanted to make sure the girl was safe and not under any duress. I was impressed.

Now, I understand the intent of the additional info when a solo parent travels with a baby. Safety for the children.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

It's funny because I've been asked for papers when leaving Canada, and when coming back, but sometimes not both (like you.)

I think it's always better have your ducks in a row than to worry about it while you are having issues. :)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.