AllThingsNice

Military expedited procedure? Consular Processing?

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline
Hi.

My husband is in the US Army and we are stationed in Germany right now. I am a British citizen. We just got married and just sent off the form I-130 to Frankfurt USCIS, to get my visa/ green card through the Consular Process procedure.

I am unclear about a few things. On the website i read that you can have your naturalization expedited if your husband is going to be deployed for longer than 1 year. Well my husband just got orders for Korea for 2 years.

After my I-130 gets approved, i understand i will get conditional permanent residency and not legal permanent residency? is this correct? Or will i actually get a permanent residency and become a legal permanent resident? In the case of if ill already be a permanent resident, does this mean i will not have to file to remove conditions in 2 years?

And will i be able to use that residency to file N-400 and apply for expedited naturalization since my husband will be deployed for longer than a year?

Many Thanks.

If you've been married for less than 2 years by the time your visa approved or when you enter the U.S. You'll be issued a conditional resident, which you'll need to file for condition removal 90 days before the card expired.

As for expedited naturalization you can apply for it if your husband is going on accompanied tour and your name is in his orders.

• 3 months later...
Filed: Timeline

https://www.uscis.gov/military/citizenship-military-personnel-family-members/citizenship-spouses-and-children-military-members

This link to a USCIS page spells out the requirements for the spouse of a US citizen in the military. The applicant for citizenship only has to appear on the spouses orders if they want to process their naturalization application in the overseas location. If they are not listed on the orders, they can still apply for expedited naturalization based on their US citizen spouses military deployment abroad for 1 year or more.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.