Banani

Importing Canadian Vehicle to USA - Not Fully Compliant

44 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I dug up paperwork when I imported my personal vehicle (1998 Honda Accord) back in 2005 as a permanent resident. This was done at the Peace Bridge crossing (Fort Erie, ON/Buffalo, NY). This was of course prior to the inception of the TPMS. It looks like they also issued me a CF7501 form circa 2002 (looks a little different than present day) and it was called a "Resident Personal Vehicle Importation - Informal CF7501". I provided a compliance letter, proof of residency status, and title at the time.

Same process, back then. I took the customs papers to the Ohio BMV at the time for my title transfer.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
9 hours ago, MarcinB said:

ANOTHER update. 

I spoke with a broker, they told me to verify with the DOT about my situation - the border officer told me to do this too. Basically here's what I found out:

- DOT said that TPMS is a deal breaker. If the car was manufactured after Sept 2007 (meaning, 2008 models and beyond), the US government said all cars need to have TPMS. Since my car is newer than that, it falls into that rule. 

- But the customs officer said I'd be good?? - this is where the process might be on my side. Customs acts as an agent for dot. So the agent at customs may put it through, give me the ok, and i'm good to have it registered. However, since the letter of non-conformity states all is good except tpms, and since tpms is a deal breaker based on dot rules (the dot guy told me its black and white, no ifs or specific situations), IF my file were ever to get reviewed, and IF it were found that the tpms wasn't compliant, they could essentially recall their decision and ask me to remove my car from the US. 

So, I think I'm at a gamble phase now... not really sure what to do.

Look at it this way: if you don't try to import it, you'll be forced to bring it back to Canada soon to sell it (think of it as "if you never ask, the answer will always be 'no'"). 

If you do import it and the DOT decides to recall their decision (I highly doubt that will happen since you did not import it illegally and your 7501 form will likely state that it's fully compliant for import) , then hopefully you'll get a few years out of the car before that happens. If you have to sell it in the end anyways, by importing it you'll at least get to use the car. 

Timeline

@MarcinB

I was looking at CBP site. Based on your location for Chicago, there doesn't appear to be a number specifically for vehicle Import/Exports, likely since Illnois is not a state with a border crossing. I would suggest calling the Detroit office

https://www.cbp.gov/contact/ports/detroit

which has a specific contact for vehicle Import/Exports like Washington state. Hopefully they are uniform with all other field offices in their approach to enforce or not enforce the TPMS requirement.

• 8 months later...
Timeline

For anyone reading this forum regarding importing a vehicle into the usa i wanted to share my story.

I purchased a BRAND NEW eco friendly Hyundai top of the line sante fe 2017 ultimate sport in january 

Since it was a 2017 the canadian hyundai dealership told me it was identical to the usa model and i would not have any issues importing the car.

Little did they know!!!!

I received the compliance letter from hyundai and the vehicle was good for everything except tpms which is tire pressure monitoring system (tells you when your tires are low)

This was something that hyundai national, hyundai canada or hyundai usa could not install!!!! 

We fought about this for 2.5 weeks as i originally purchased the vehicle with the intention of importing and bought it under false intentions as i was told the canadian and usa model are exact replicas.

Long story short i spoke to NHTSA and they said tpms is mandatory the vehicle can not even be brought in for personal use (as i read that some people get their cars in and drive them than import them for personal use) well apparently that is not allowed or the case at all.(the tpms rule is for 2008 cars and newer) some get blacklisted..or you are requested to remove your vehicle or dispose of it. Crazy stuff! Im not willing to risk!

The tpms also has to be oem installed identical to the usa version of the vehicle. After market is not allowed.

Since that was not installable i had to try to sell this vehicle. 

We all know that once a vehicle is registered it is no longer new and drops value very quickly. The dealership tried to offer me a 13000 dollar loss. I told them i would come to terms losing 8 k but not 13 as the suv only had 4600 km on it.

After two weeks of battling with them as there was nothing else they can do they finally settled for 40k

The vehicle sells over 50k new but since it was registered they can no longer give 0% financing so for them it wasnt worth buying the suv back.

I just wanted everyone to be very weary and know your facts before importing vehicles. This isnt just for new cars ..be prepared get a compliance letter asap to be sure you can take your vehicle to usa! 

I dont want anyone to go through the stress i did.

Alot of domestic vehicles have tpms and this is not an issue but nondomestic vehicles are not made with tpms any longer for canada as our weather creates low pressure in tires and the sensors constantly go off. Also the sensors need to be replaced with tire change or reset so it was a nusisance and they just decided not to add them anymore.

Some vehicles are built exactly like their usa counterpart such as ford etc. So this forum post is not for everyone.

Hope this helps!

Timeline

Sorry if my question was already addressed in this forum and I missed it...my fiancé is Canadian and his car has a lien on it. I had read that you can’t import a car with a lien? Will he be required to import it at POE? Thanks!

On 10/26/2017 at 5:19 AM, KBA said:

Sorry if my question was already addressed in this forum and I missed it...my fiancé is Canadian and his car has a lien on it. I had read that you can’t import a car with a lien? Will he be required to import it at POE? Thanks!

He can't insure it down here or register it if it's not imported.  Canadian insurance may not cover him if he's no longer a Canadian resident (which you cease to be when you immigrate.)  Yes he will be required to import it if he wants to drive it down in the USA.  But he should check with his lien holder if they will allow him to do that.  But often because you don't actually own the vehicle if you have a lien they don't let you import the vehicle. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline
On 10/26/2017 at 12:41 AM, Marzena & Stephen said:

For anyone reading this forum regarding importing a vehicle into the usa i wanted to share my story.

I purchased a BRAND NEW eco friendly Hyundai top of the line sante fe 2017 ultimate sport in january 

Since it was a 2017 the canadian hyundai dealership told me it was identical to the usa model and i would not have any issues importing the car.

Little did they know!!!!

I received the compliance letter from hyundai and the vehicle was good for everything except tpms which is tire pressure monitoring system (tells you when your tires are low)

This was something that hyundai national, hyundai canada or hyundai usa could not install!!!! 

We fought about this for 2.5 weeks as i originally purchased the vehicle with the intention of importing and bought it under false intentions as i was told the canadian and usa model are exact replicas.

Long story short i spoke to NHTSA and they said tpms is mandatory the vehicle can not even be brought in for personal use (as i read that some people get their cars in and drive them than import them for personal use) well apparently that is not allowed or the case at all.(the tpms rule is for 2008 cars and newer) some get blacklisted..or you are requested to remove your vehicle or dispose of it. Crazy stuff! Im not willing to risk!

The tpms also has to be oem installed identical to the usa version of the vehicle. After market is not allowed.

Since that was not installable i had to try to sell this vehicle. 

We all know that once a vehicle is registered it is no longer new and drops value very quickly. The dealership tried to offer me a 13000 dollar loss. I told them i would come to terms losing 8 k but not 13 as the suv only had 4600 km on it.

After two weeks of battling with them as there was nothing else they can do they finally settled for 40k

The vehicle sells over 50k new but since it was registered they can no longer give 0% financing so for them it wasnt worth buying the suv back.

I just wanted everyone to be very weary and know your facts before importing vehicles. This isnt just for new cars ..be prepared get a compliance letter asap to be sure you can take your vehicle to usa! 

I dont want anyone to go through the stress i did.

Alot of domestic vehicles have tpms and this is not an issue but nondomestic vehicles are not made with tpms any longer for canada as our weather creates low pressure in tires and the sensors constantly go off. Also the sensors need to be replaced with tire change or reset so it was a nusisance and they just decided not to add them anymore.

Some vehicles are built exactly like their usa counterpart such as ford etc. So this forum post is not for everyone.

Hope this helps!

I am so freaken crying now :( Mine is a year old. Dealership also told me it would be fine for import. I love my car :( .... 

Timeline
25 minutes ago, Lola B said:

I am so freaken crying now :( Mine is a year old. Dealership also told me it would be fine for import. I love my car :( .... 

Which vehicle did you buy?

Request a compliance letter immediately from the customer retention and ask them to email it. Some makes you can install the missing item..mine unfortunately i could not. If that was a condition of the sale they may be able to swap the vehicle for a used car on the lot. I didnt want to do that as i didnt want a vehicle that was equivelant to the price they would give me in cash so i fought for as much as i could get back. Let me know- im curious now! 

Another option is trading the car in..but if its not paid off ..i dont think you can import it.

Edited by Marzena & Stephen

Timeline
On 26/10/2017 at 5:19 AM, KBA said:

I agree your insurance normally will not cover the vehicle if your residency is outside of canada. Mine would not. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 12/11/2017 at 7:11 PM, Lola B said:

Does it have TPMS? If so, it's probably okay. If not, it's not. And too late now, but when buying a car never believe anything the dealer tells you.

• 8 months later...

I had the same problem since I have a 2009 Toyota Camry from Canada that does not have TPMS.  I tried to import it over the weekend with just an Ontario registration at the border and I was told that I needed a compliance letter from Toyota Canada even though they allowed me to drive the car into the US that night.  The border officer was very nice and asked me to return to the same CBP once I have received the compliance letter from Toyota Canada.  I requested  the compliance letter from Toyota Canada on Monday and received the letter in an email 2 days later that says:

#############################################

This vehicle, being substantially similar to the same model sold in the United States, complies with all applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (“FMVSS”), save and except the following:
1) Certain minor labeling requirements contained in FMVSS101 (Controls and Displays) pertaining to the instrument panel;
2) FMVSS138 (Tire pressure monitoring system) as the model sold in Canada was not equipped with a tire pressure monitoring system;

#############################################

Initially, I didn't know what FMVSS 138 means and when I googled it, I found out that I can't import a Canadian car without TPMS into the US.  I was pretty dejected because my car was paid off and I just cannot afford to get a new car in the US.  I thought about selling it but I was told that I am lucky if I can get 6500 CAD for it.  Since I was definitely going to lose the car if I don't try to import it, I decided to take my chances and head to the same CBP again.  My gamble paid off as the custom officer did not even mention anything about TPMS after reading through the compliance letter from Toyota Canada.  I got the car imported duty-free and registered the next day.  

If you run into the TPMS issue while trying to import a Canadian car into the US, I think it doesn't hurt to give it a try at the border.  A few other people in other forums succeeded in bringing their cars into the US without TPMS and I'm glad I tried.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the advice. I was able to import my car even though all the registered importers denied. I went to the CBP office in Seattle; and told them that my car did not have TPMS. They said as long as I can get it installed and provide them some paperwork they should be fine with it.

So I brought an after-market TPMS from Amazon and installed the TPMS in my car. Furthermore, I  wrote a self-declaration stating what I installed to meet compliance for TPMS. I also attached a bill of purchase and TPMS product description. Took all these docs and my car to CBP Seattle, and they imported my car.  

Timeline
On 8/7/2018 at 4:43 PM, jiteshsoni1990 said:

Thanks for all the advice. I was able to import my car even though all the registered importers denied. I went to the CBP office in Seattle; and told them that my car did not have TPMS. They said as long as I can get it installed and provide them some paperwork they should be fine with it.

So I brought an after-market TPMS from Amazon and installed the TPMS in my car. Furthermore, I  wrote a self-declaration stating what I installed to meet compliance for TPMS. I also attached a bill of purchase and TPMS product description. Took all these docs and my car to CBP Seattle, and they imported my car.  

I will attempt this also. Love my car too much lol...  just to confirm did you actually install it yourself or does it have to be installed by a professional? and please cross your fingers!!! I hope it works for me also! 

• 2 years later...

Did it work for you? Attempting to do the same in the next two weeks!

On 8/10/2018 at 9:30 AM, Lola B said:

I will attempt this also. Love my car too much lol...  just to confirm did you actually install it yourself or does it have to be installed by a professional? and please cross your fingers!!! I hope it works for me also! 

Just now, alimounis said:

Did it work for you? Attempting to do the same in the next two weeks!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.