BillyG

Drivers Permit/License

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I am looking to apply for my GA Drivers permit. As i came into the USA on a K1 and will be applying for AOS, EAD and AP within the next couple fo weeks I was hoping to get my drivers permit done and out of the way. But....it seems according to the DMV and a post or two here that my permit will only be valid until my k1 runs out, Feb 2nd 2016, 4 weeks from now.

Would i be better if waiting until i get my EAD and then apply? I hold a full Irish drivers license and an International Drivers permit. Could I apply now, do test etc, pay fee and then just renew when EAD comes through?

Am thinking of waiting till i get my EAD and then apply and then hopefully it will be valid for a year at least

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Billy

2001 March 17th Met in Savannah GA2002 March Visit to Atlanta GA

2002-2013 Long Distance friends

2014 Feb Relationship turns romantic (L)

2015 Feb Visit to Atlanta

2015 April 4th File I-129F

2015 April 16th NOA1 Received

2015 June 29th NOA2 Received

2015 July NVC Case Number

2015 August 11th Package 3 from Embassy

2015 August 26th Medical

2015 Sept 10th Interview and Approved

2015 Sept 17th Visa in hand

2015 Nov 5th POE Dublin Move to USA :dancing:

2015 Dec 20th Wedding (L)(L)(L)

2016 Jan 21st AOS/EAD/AF mailed

2016 Jan 25th AOS etc received by USCIS

2016 Jan 28th NOA 1 for AOS, EAD and AP received by mail

2016 Feb 23rd Biometrics Atlanta

2016 Feb 24th Initial RFE for AOS

2016 Feb 26th RFE Responded and Mailed back to USCIS

2016 April 6th EAD and AP Approval

2016 April 12th EAD Card received, No AP on it, Rang USCIS

2016 May 6th AOS Approval
2016 May 10th I551 placed in passport
2016 June 10th Green Card Arrived
2016 June 10th Filed i90 for Error on Green Card
2017 Aug 21st Replacement Green Card Approved and In Production 1 year after applying. Done with USCIS till ROC in early 2018
2018 Mar 6th Form i-751 sent off to USCIS in Vermont (Removal of Conditions)
2020 Sept 25th N-400 Application files
2021 July 20th Interview and Test for N400 Citizenship APPROVED 
2021 Aug 6th Oath Ceremony
2021 Aug 6th US Citizen
2021 Aug 21st Passport Appliedfor
2021 Sept 15th Passport in Hand
2021 Sept Journey at an end after 6 years from our K1 approval to Citisenship

I applied my DL when I had my i94 straitened out, and yes, they issued me one but it was expired when my i94 expired, now that I have my EAD/AP combo card, me and my husband went to renew my DL yesterday, no problem at all.. You can do it and they will give you a year.. Just wait 10 days after your combo card issued so it is sure that it's already posted in your alien registration.. That was they've told me..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.