m318627

k-1 Length of Courtship

52 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

One more question. She has 2 children under the age of 18. Should she include them & bring them with her on her k-1 or leave them behind to show she has a reason to return to the Dominican? Have them join her later?

It depends on custody

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Baron555, why is it important to know if I'm sending her money? We met online 6 months ago & I've been to the Dominican 3 times in 3 months (I've spent a total of 20 days with her).

If you are sending her money, that may signal a red flag. It's a common scam.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

One more question. She has 2 children under the age of 18. Should she include them & bring them with her on her k-1 or leave them behind to show she has a reason to return to the Dominican? Have them join her later?

While the K-1 is classified as a non-immigrant visa, it is also a visa that assumes the beneficiary intends to immigrate. That said, it would behoove her to put her unmarried children on the K-1 Visa so as to not split up the family, and before they "age out" for immediate immigration. Keep in mind for every family member you are to bring over, your household size will increase as well where the poverty level threshold requirements are concerned.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

If you are sending her money, that may signal a red flag. It's a common scam.

True, my wife never asked for money. I would occasionally send her money for her birthday or Christmas, and this is okay if you are doing it as well. But be wary of sending anyone money who solicits it from you. CO's are aware of money soliciting scams and may look at your case with a bit more scrutiny if you are sending her a lot of money that is not on a special date like her birthday, Christmas, or other holidays.

What I did was keep a record of my Western Union Transactions and labeled each one with a detailed expense on my submitted packet. Subsequently if I gave my wife money to help out with expenses, I was sure to ask her for a receipt of each bill so it would match with the money I sent her.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

Just follow the parameters of the I-129 petition and since you case would be more detailed I suggest getting some professional legal advice to be absolutely sure before you file and let them tell it to you straight up your chances and what's the best route to take in your situation.

Timeline

It depends on custody

What this means is that for any child to be given a K-2 visa, the other parent must provide notarized written document allowing the child to immigrate to the US and premanently reside there.

She would list ALL children on the 129f form and then when she prepares the DS-160 online form prior to the interview she would list which she would like to receive a k-2 visa along with her K-1 and also which will Join her to immigrate to the US with her or which will Follow, to immigrate within one years time of her K-1 validity date.

Why would she leave them behind, if the plan is to bring them here?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

Thanks everyone for your helpful advice & information. I appreciate it.

"With love and patience, nothing is impossible."

Just follow the parameters of the I-129 petition and since you case would be more detailed I suggest getting some professional legal advice to be absolutely sure before you file and let them tell it to you straight up your chances and what's the best route to take in your situation.

I totally agree with this. I consulted with two immigration lawyers before proceeding and they provided me with invaluable information. I felt prepared and aware of any potential issues. I paid a little less than $150 for the two consultations, but was worth every penny. I handled the case myself and haven't needed to hire a lawyer, but their advice can be most helpful! VJ is totally awesome, but their experience and discussion may help substantially. It helped me a lot anyways.

Signature coming soon...

Timeline

I don't think any legal advice is required. The language differences coupled with the age differences and maybe the family differences are all red flags that need to be overcome with tons of evidence of a bonafide relationship.

Depending on her finanical situation for herself and her children in her country, and your age, one could easily see how this could be only an arrangement.

Your evidence should be solid to disprove this.

Go to the regional forum for her country and read up on other's experiences with that Embassy.

Baron555, I was told be another user on this site they wouldn't look at her financial information...only mine since I'm the petitioner. We would leave the children behind for a while because I live in a 55+ community & they do not allow children. I need to find a new residence.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

If she would like to bring her children, definitely list them on the petition even if she does not plan to bring them with her initially. they have up to one year to join her in the US after your petition is approved of course. I wish you the best of luck. I had many red flags on my petition as well. I am 20 years older than my husband then fiancé and had to go thru HELL and back to get him and his son here. He was denied at the first interview from what I think was a poorly put together petition ( light on evidence, not much face time etc etc) and from what I believe a decision by the CO before he even met my husband for interview. You've definitely have come to the right place for help, for there are those of us that have been through not so pleasant, one off situations that understand and can possibly help you avoid some of the mistakes we made. But the upside is he is here now. and that is the ultimate goal for you as well right? Fight for what you believe in and disregard the nay-sayers but also be willing to go the distance and understand that we have not all had easy journeys and a by the book process for there is no book just a guide and then there are us, those that are here and understand and willing to help because we understand from first hand experience. No one here should be judging you, and if you feel as though anyone is... please disregard and move on to the ones that are truly trying to help. As mentioned by one of my mentors here, frontload your petition with as much proof as possible include letters from friends and family that know your relationship and would testify to that. Provide any and all proof of travels to visit her and pictures with you and her and you and her and her children. send phone records, chats, messages, letters and cards you may have sent. The face time is truly important. I had spent less than 20 days with my fiancé as well. but only took one trip and a second where I was petition there for a stokes interview. send copies of your hotel, rental car and restaurant receipts. Many might say this is extreme but you are in an extreme situation and will have to go above and beyond the call of duty even preparing YOURSELF to be there for her interview. Me personally, will be rooting for you and hope that in the end you will prevail and have the person that you love with you here one day. If I had listened to all the negativity I received, no doubt I would either be by now living in Jamaica with my husband or here in the US alone waiting on another petition. If nothing else, I would like to provide you hope and inspiration that when everything looks like a NO, follow your heart and the advice of the Veterans here. There are plenty of those that can at least point you in the right direction and if this is what you want, you will be willing to do whatever it takes. Brace yourself for the ride, it will not be easy but nothing in this life, worth having, ever is. Blessings on your Visa Journey.

Timeline

If she would like to bring her children, definitely list them on the petition even if she does not plan to bring them with her initially. they have up to one year to join her in the US after your petition is approved of course.

You MUST list ALL children on the 129f form, regardless of age or immigration intent.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.