Andrea&Henry

waiting for biometrics app vs walk ins

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

I'll filling for my n400 mid Jan through marriage to an USC, During my whole journey, I've seen people doing biometrics appointments walk in instead of waiting for the actual date of the appointment. Is it faster?

For example if I get my appointment for february 20 and I go on the 5th...does it make things faster or it takes the same amount of time?

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

YIRsm4.png   Mi1Gm4.pngTh37m4.png    

2013                                                  2014                                                     2015

fNidm5.png NXDpm4.png    VaECm4.png 

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi, we just went for our biometrics in St. Paul, MN. They would not allow people to walk in there. You had to have an appointment and show the security officer at the door the appointment letter in order to get in. They had a sign on the outside door saying 'only people that have appointments today' are allowed in.

I don't know about anywhere else but it didn't look like an option here to just go without an appointment.

I'll filling for my n400 mid Jan through marriage to an USC, During my whole journey, I've seen people doing biometrics appointments walk in instead of waiting for the actual date of the appointment. Is it faster?

For example if I get my appointment for february 20 and I go on the 5th...does it make things faster or it takes the same amount of time?

Not necessarily. You could be stuck in background check and if you are an early filer, some USCIS field offices will not place you in line for an interview until you are within 30 days of your 3 or 5 year GC anniversary date.

Timeline

Not necessarily. You could be stuck in background check and if you are an early filer, some USCIS field offices will not place you in line for an interview until you are within 30 days of your 3 or 5 year GC anniversary date.

So what's the point of the "90 days window" if they are going to take cases within 30 days of the 3-5 years rule? My 3rd anniversary is on april 2016 which means my window opens on jan 21, 2016. My idea is to file on jan 25th

Edited by Andrea&Henry

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

2013                                                  2014                                                     2015

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

So what's the point of the "90 days window" if they are going to take cases within 30 days of the 3-5 years rule? My 3rd anniversary is on april 2016 which means my window opens on jan 21, 2016. My idea is to file on jan 25th

You still come out ahead. Getting to the interview is the longest part of the process. For majority of cases the entire process takes an average of 5-6 months; 4 if your are really lucky.

So think about it. If you file when you are eligible in Jan, then theoretically you could be done by June/July even if your interview is not scheduled until March/April.

If you wait to file when you hit your anniversary date in April, then using the same estimates, you would be done by Sept/Oct.

Early filing still has some benefits assuming you are not stuck in background check or fall victim to a backlogged office.

Incidentally the Hialeah FL field office is processing n400 applications within 5 months.

https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/processingTimesDisplay.do;jsessionid=abcYOFI9Qrje1fyacX4hv

Edited by NexGen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

The point is that you will be done with the initial application, biometrics, and possibly the background check by the time your anniversary comes around. If it were not for the 90 day early filing rule, you'd have to wait until your anniversary to send in your application.

If your office is taking 6 months from application to oath, then you could save up to 3 months by applying early.

However, if your office is very fast, you'll have to wait for your anniversary to take the oath (by law) and even to be interviewed at most offices (by individual office policy).

For you original question, early bio can save you a week or two in some cases. Even if you are stuck in background check for 4 months, you'll still have started the process early so you should finish earlier. In cities with daily oath ceremonies, early bio could save you time. In cities with monthly bios, you may end up at the same ceremony as someone who went on your originally scheduled date.

Early bio is supposed to be an option for people who can't make it on their originally scheduled days. Some offices require proof of why you can't make it as scheduled. Some offices are tougher than others and won't accept "i have to be at work that day" as an excuse. Others don't care and will allow a walk in. Others won't allow a walk in at all and will ask you to reschedule with USCIS even if you have proof of travel.

In short, if it's easy for you to try an early walk in, do it; it won't hurt. If you can't make your original date, a walk in is a safer bet than sending in a rescheduling request. But if the office is far or if you have to take time off work, it's not worth the risk of being turned away just to save a week in a multi-month process.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

• 2 months later...
Timeline

quick question people??

Do I need to have a non expire passport for my interview?

Mine expire in october 2015 and honestly Im not planning to review it...my nearest embassy is in chicago and is not in my plans to spend $900 just to go and get it.

that's why I decided to apply early for my citizenship...I still have my old passport

Edited by Andrea&Henry

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

quick question people??

Do I need to have a non expire passport for my interview?

Mine expire in october 2015 and honestly Im not planning to review it...my nearest embassy is in chicago and is not in my plans to spend $900 just to go and get it.

that's why I decided to apply early for my citizenship...I still have my old passport

No.

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.