Jump to content

Urgent question regarding AOS and address change for myself and wife

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts


We're about to file the AOS for my wife.

When we started the K1 process, I was still living at my parents house so we both used my parents house as the address.

Before she arrived to the US, I moved out of my parents house into my own house. I still haven't changed my address information (my drivers license, credit cards, bank statements, etc. still show my old house (parents house)).

The confusion now is that we're about to start the AOS process.

1) Am I (U.S. citizen) required to fill out a AR-11 or Form I-865 before filling out the AOS form? Or do I do those after the AOS is sent?

2) Does my wife use the old address or new address for AOS. Does she fill out the AR-11 as well?

Thank you in advance. Very confused about all of this.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


no, you don't need to file a change of address, put your current address on the forms

the change of address is necessary if you move during the immigration process, so they can send you the mail to your current address

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

The USC does not need to file an address change unless you have an I-864 as a current sponsor ongoing. Later, when your wife has a green card, you will have an I-864 being enforced and you would need to file an I-865 if you move.

Your wife does not need to file anything right now. She can simply fill out all the AOS forms using your current address. If you move in the future, then she will need to file the AR-11 for changing her address with the USCIS.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > http://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ%20-%20Ciudad%20Juarez.pdf

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess my confusion was that during the K-1 process, we used my old address (parents house). I assumed that since we're doing the I864 for her now, since her address is our new house, the USC would have to be notified.

So my wife and I can use our current (new home) address?

So the AR-11 is only needed if after/during the I-864 process, we decide to move again?

Just want to make sure I understood correctly. Thanks everyone!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.