wasabisnack

Bank Account Question

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My husband's K3 Visa came in the mail today :)

We are wondering what others have done regarding switching bank accounts.

Was anyone able to keep their UK bank and have access (without a ton of fees) in the US?

Are there any banks that are in both the US/UK?

I know he'd need to have a SSN to open an account here. Just wondering what people did in the meantime.

Just wondering if people could share their experiences.

Sorry if there is info/posts on this already, I tried searching but it kept saying the feature was down.

Thanks!

Kristina

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
My husband's K3 Visa came in the mail today :)

We are wondering what others have done regarding switching bank accounts.

Was anyone able to keep their UK bank and have access (without a ton of fees) in the US?

Are there any banks that are in both the US/UK?

I know he'd need to have a SSN to open an account here. Just wondering what people did in the meantime.

Just wondering if people could share their experiences.

Sorry if there is info/posts on this already, I tried searching but it kept saying the feature was down.

Thanks!

Kristina

Yup, use HSBC. Open a current account whilst in the UK. Get online banking and tell them you will be abroad for a while so that you can use your HSBC credit and debit cards freely. Once in the USA change your address online to the USA one. You can pay your cards and look after your money online. Once I changed my addy to the USA one they started sending my statements here.

It sounds a little complicated but it's what I did. My Dad did it too when he moved to Malta a few years ago.

So, my money stays in the UK (for now, I'll eventually move it to the USA) and I have full access to it from the USA.

Edited by mags

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

I have a US bank account and no SS number. I have had the account for over 2 years now and only moved to the US 2 days ago.

My account is with Citizens bank and my UK bank, which actually owns Citizens Bank is happy to transfer funds at a good rate any time I fax them with the signal numbers I arranged with them before I left.

I did use HSBC but found their New York office was actually adding another charge to all money tranfers meaning I got charged 3 times for every transfer and they had the cheek to call it an intermediary charge when was tranferring from HSBC in the UK.

Edited by mmb

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

I-129F Sent : 2006-09-26

I-129F NOA1 : 2006-09-28

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2006-10-18

NVC Received : 2006-10-20

NVC Left : 2006-10-23

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received : 2006-11-06

Packet 3 Sent : 2006-12-02

Packet 4 Received : 2006-12-07

Interview Date : 2007-01-31

Visa Received : 2007-02-03

US Entry : 2007-03-06

Marriage : 2007-03-30

Timeline
I have a US bank account and no SS number. I have had the account for over 2 years now and only moved to the US 2 days ago.

My account is with Citizens bank and my UK bank, which actually owns Citizens Bank is happy to transfer funds at a good rate any time I fax them with the signal numbers I arranged with them before I left.

I did use HSBC but found their New York office was actually adding another charge to all money tranfers meaning I got charged 3 times for every transfer and they had the cheek to call it an intermediary charge when was tranferring from HSBC in the UK.

Well, I won't be using HSBC for transferring funds.... :lol:

Filed: Timeline

Citibank also has the same thing as HSBC. You can even set up your Citibank to have an American checkbook issued, and you can pay for things in USD without foreign transfer fees.

oh and re: transferring money...you can get a US citibank acct and transfer between the two. It's same day transferring if it's done before 3pm. For some reason, my acct is unable to transfer to D online, but his works fine for me.

Which also works just fine for me :D;)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I use Nat West Online and a local US bank.

US banks charge, explains why there are so many of them, being owned by same parent company seems to make no difference.

I make transfers by phone, they have my US Bank details on file, first one was a bit of a pain but now easy.

I wish I had got a American Express Credit Card in the UK, would have kicked start my US Credit rating on transfer.

I did not need a SSN, you do not need one, you may need to shop around, easier than arguing the toss with the ignorant,

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I use Nat West Online and a local US bank.

US banks charge, explains why there are so many of them, being owned by same parent company seems to make no difference.

I make transfers by phone, they have my US Bank details on file, first one was a bit of a pain but now easy.

I wish I had got a American Express Credit Card in the UK, would have kicked start my US Credit rating on transfer.

I did not need a SSN, you do not need one, you may need to shop around, easier than arguing the toss with the ignorant,

Yeah I was a bit dismayed that the flow of information between Citi US and UK seems to be non-existant. They've said they're 'different companies' which I think is a load of horsesh!t.

Timeline

Well, I won't be using HSBC for transferring funds.... :lol:

I don't have that problem. I had an hsbc acct for 6 years in england and they set up the account in usa for me before i left. By doing this you can have a credit check done and you get an'introduction' from hsbc uk and you can arrive in usa with a bank account and credit history.

I get charged by hsbc in uk 10gbp every time i transfer money so just make sure i wait till lots in there before i tx the money. I have had no charges from hsbc usa.

K-1 Visa Journey

04/20/2006 - file our I-129f.

09/14/2006 - US Embassy interview. Ask Lauren to marry me again, just to make sure. Says Yes. Phew!

10/02/2006 - Fly to New York, EAD at JFK, I'm in!!

10/14/2006 - Married! The perfect wedding day.

AOS Journey

10/23/2006 - AOS and EAD filed

05/29/2007 - RFE (lost medical)

08/02/2007 - RFE received back at CSC

08/10/2007 - Card Production ordered

08/17/2007 - Green Card Arrives

Removing Conditions

05/08/2009 - I-751 Mailed

05/13/2009 - NOA1

06/12/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/24/2009 - Approved (twice)

10/10/2009 - Card Production Ordered

10/13/2009 - Card Production Ordered (Again?)

10/19/2009 - Green Card Received (Dated 10/13/19)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I know that when I travel to the UK, I can use my Bank of America card to access cash at Barclay's bank machines without paying an extra charge (beyond the conversion fee, that is).

Since the pound is so ridiculously strong against the dollar right now, however, you might want to open a US Bank Account and convert to take advantage of it (I still harbor dreams of things leveling out again - but that might not happen!).

Try calling your bank and asking about the options - a lot of banks either own or have agreements with banks abroad that you might not be able to figure out from the names on the buildings.

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-22-07 DHS cashes the I-129F check

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

1-26-07 NOA1 arrives in the post

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-3-07 NOA2!!! Two approval emails received at 11:36am

5-10-07 Arrived at NVC/5-14-07 Left NVC - London-bound!

5-17-07??? London receives?

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-26-07 Packet 3 received

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-06-07 Medical in London (called to schedule on May 29)

6-11-07 "Medical in file" at Embassy

6-14-07 Resent packet 3 to Embassy after hearing nothing about first try

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-25-07 DOS says interview date is August 21

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

7-06-07 Interview at 9:00 am at the London Embassy - Approved.

7-16-07 Visa delivered after 'security checks' completed

I-129F approved in 111 days; Interview 174 days from filing

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

*Be afraid or be informed - the choice is yours.*

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Good to know about HSBC opening accounts for you in the USA before getting there. My fiance has his accounts there and we were wondering about this. Does anyone know exactly how his credit score will transfer, if it does at all? He has great credit, mines not as spectacular as his, so we are hoping his will transfer to the US. Does anyone know about this, or does he have to start from scratch? Thanks!

Our Timeline:

01/29/2007 NOA1!

02/26/2007 Became officially engaged in Rome:)

05/03/2007 NOA2!!!

07/20/2007 Visa Interview in London! Approved!!

10/04/2007 Small private wedding!

04/19/2008 Big fancy shmancy wedding!

AOS Timeline:

10/18/2007 Sent entire AOS, EAD, AP package to Chicago

10/19/2007 Package received in Chicago- signed for by V Bustamante

10/25/2007 NOA1 for AOS, EAD, and AP.

10/26/2007 Check cashed.

11/28/2007 Biometrics appointment in Denver.

12/17/2007 EAD card production ordered!

12/27/2007 EAD card arrives.

12/31/2007 AP approved.

01/07/2008 AP received.

02/01/2008 AOS interview in Denver. APPROVED!

02/11/2008 Green Card received in mail!

Done until July 09' !

I opened 2 accounts with citzens bank here before I had my SSN.... when I wanted money transfered from my UK account I just write myself a UK check and pay it into my US account... it clears in 3 days and has a very small charge... Citizens Bank is part of the Bank of Scotland Group...

Kez

Good to know about HSBC opening accounts for you in the USA before getting there. My fiance has his accounts there and we were wondering about this. Does anyone know exactly how his credit score will transfer, if it does at all? He has great credit, mines not as spectacular as his, so we are hoping his will transfer to the US. Does anyone know about this, or does he have to start from scratch? Thanks!

Credit scores either good or bad cannot transfer, this is due to US banks, having no access to UK credit referance agancies records, due to the data protection act.

I have a Bank of America account - opened on a visit to the US a few years ago - straightforward checking account - and I still have a Nationwide account.

Kept most of my funds in there and use my cash card (Nationwide) to withdraw with NO fees. I monitor my account on-line as I have Flex account.

As for transferring large amounts I use a company called interchange FX, I have had no problems at all with them

K1

I-129F Sent : 19th October 2005

Interview Date 10th October 2006 10am

Interview Approved 7th November 2006

Visa delivered 9th November 2006

Finally where I belong S.C with my man 19th November 2006 WOOO HOOO!!!

Got Married 14th January 2007

AOS

Sent AOS docs 31st January 2007

USPS confirm delivered to USCIS 06th February 2007

I-797C Notice of Action dtd 9th Feb recvd 12th February 2007 (both my son and myself)

Biometrics Appointment 1st March 2007

Transfered to CSC 11th April 2007

GREEN CARDS RECEIVED 9th July 2007 All done till 2009!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline
I opened 2 accounts with citzens bank here before I had my SSN.... when I wanted money transfered from my UK account I just write myself a UK check and pay it into my US account... it clears in 3 days and has a very small charge... Citizens Bank is part of the Bank of Scotland Group...

Kez

Citizens Bank is not part of the Bank of Scotland group but part of The Royal Bank of Scotland group, two very different banks.

While I have had nothing but good service from the Royal Bank, Bank of Scotland are a pain to deal with.

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

I-129F Sent : 2006-09-26

I-129F NOA1 : 2006-09-28

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2006-10-18

NVC Received : 2006-10-20

NVC Left : 2006-10-23

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received : 2006-11-06

Packet 3 Sent : 2006-12-02

Packet 4 Received : 2006-12-07

Interview Date : 2007-01-31

Visa Received : 2007-02-03

US Entry : 2007-03-06

Marriage : 2007-03-30

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I have to second that difference in service quality between RBS and Bank of Scotland. When I ordered a foreign draft through my Bank of Scotland account I had a week of calling them to chase it up (since no money had been debited from my account) only to finally be told that they never placed the order in the first place. When we used my wife's RBS account, we got the draft in a couple of days.

Edited by vamos

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.