lizaanne

To the Brits - do you think everything here in the US is too sweet?

148 posts in this topic

]

It's not like that; the very fresh stuff is much less likely to upset my stomach.

Fair enough. I'm the same with HFCS. I can't drink non-diet soda in the USA because it makes my physically ill within about 20 mins of drinking it. Doesn't happen to me at all in the UK (presumably because of the sugar instead of corn syrup).

Actually it took me a while to figure this out. Back in 1993 when I worked at Cedar Point for the summer, I would literally be doubled over in pain after every lunch time. I thought I was getting an ulcer or something, then it went away when I returned to the UK. Fast forward to 1999 when I move to the USA, it starts happening again. Suddenly I noticed the correlation between America and painful gut ache!

Luckily they don't put HFCS in beer. ;)

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
]

It's not like that; the very fresh stuff is much less likely to upset my stomach.

Fair enough. I'm the same with HFCS. I can't drink non-diet soda in the USA because it makes my physically ill within about 20 mins of drinking it. Doesn't happen to me at all in the UK (presumably because of the sugar instead of corn syrup).

Actually it took me a while to figure this out. Back in 1993 when I worked at Cedar Point for the summer, I would literally be doubled over in pain after every lunch time. I thought I was getting an ulcer or something, then it went away when I returned to the UK. Fast forward to 1999 when I move to the USA, it starts happening again. Suddenly I noticed the correlation between America and painful gut ache!

Luckily they don't put HFCS in beer. ;)

I think I've got a touch of IBS; odd things upset my stomach. Oatmeal makes me sick, for example. I like it but I can't eat it.

I will say this; I do correct Americans all the time about the food in the UK. The UK doesn't have a great culinary reputation but the food in the UK is perfectly fine. It's just different. Some British dishes are wonderful and there are some things I will miss. I'd kill for a beef stew with dumplings ready meal from Sainsbury's right now. Those were delicious.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
I'd kill for a beef stew with dumplings ready meal from Sainsbury's right now. Those were delicious.

Did you have to mention those, I used to take one into work when I was doing an over night at Heathrow. I had managed to put them out of my mind now I'll spend weeks wanting one again :huh::yes:

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

I'd kill for a beef stew with dumplings ready meal from Sainsbury's right now. Those were delicious.

Did you have to mention those, I used to take one into work when I was doing an over night at Heathrow. I had managed to put them out of my mind now I'll spend weeks wanting one again :huh::yes:

Sowwee.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

• 1 year later...

<hoists this sucker up from the depths>

lots of interesting comments. and will certainly help jamie and i set up a grocery plan of action for when he gets here.

we cook a lot from scratch for the fun and for learning something new or improvising. i will have a large garden this summer in the community garden plots and ive already started lots of seeds for the coming season.

at the moment, i am growing (successfully):

6 heirloom varieties (for salsa, and sauces)

lots of corriader, basil, thai basil

40 heads of garlic (overboard i think.)

radicchio

sweet peas (for pretties)

cukes, acron sqaush, and little pretty patty pan

3 varietes of tomatillos

the soil temperature should be warm enough in the last week of may to plant just about anything out.

the next task is to get good at preserving the harvest.

21 oct 08 : i-129F sent / 22 oct 08 : NOA1 / 23 feb 09: NOA2 / 13 mar 09 : rec'd 'packet 3' / 28 mar 09 : rec'd 'packet 4' / 20 apr 09 : interview / 22 apr 09 : passport/visa delivery by courier / 29 apr 09 : POE @ PHL / <3 05 may 09 : married <3 / 06 jul 09 : AOS submitted / 09 jul 09 : NOA for EAD/AP/i-485 / 28 jul 09 : biometrics / 31 aug 09 : AP rec'd / 02 sep 09 : EAD rec'd / 19 oct 09 : conditional green card rec'd

16 jul 11 : i-751 sent to VSC (fedex)

18 jul 11 : fedex confirmed delivery; NOA1 generated

20 jul 11 : NOA1 notice rec'd; check cashed; touch

26 jul 11 : NOA2 generated

28 jul 11 : NOA2 biometrics appt letter rec'd

29 jul 11 : letter req biometrics appt rescheduling sent

09 aug 11 : biometrics appt (could not attend); NOA3 generated

11 aug 11 : NOA3 (rescheduled) biometrics appt letter rec'd

24 aug 11 : biometrics appt

14 oct 11 : conditional green card expiry date

16 nov 11 : filed AR-11 for LPR online

18 nov 11 : mailed i-865 for USC

22 nov 11 : moved house; NOA4 change of address for USC rec'd

13 dec 11 : filed AR-11 for LPR by phone

29 dec 11 : filed hardcopy AR-11 for LPR by mail

18 jan 12 : 6 month mark ROC

05 apr 12 : approval letter rec'd

16 jul 12 : n-400 filing window opens

immediate concerns:

none, immigration-wise.

Whoa. There's a blast from the past. I see I even posted in here somewhere. lol. Okay, might as well add another....

I recently learned to make tomato soup from scratch because the tinned stuff here is like eating syrup. :dead: Won't mention the bread because I think that one's been done to death. But, hey..... if you're a n00b and haven't yet had your bread rant..... fire away! :lol:

Edited by Krikit
iagree.gif

Yes i go along with the high levels of sweetener in foods. whether it is sugar or not I don't pay that much attention. I cannot eat too much sweet stuff (except chocolate) so it doesn't bother me too much.

The thing I find so strange is how most americans use lots of dressing on their food especially salads. I cannot see what the point is as all you can taste is the dressing. I personally like my salad to be without any dressing. That way you can taste the individual ingredients.

Now in North Carolina the emphasis is on fried food yuk. Where for pork chops for instance they cover them in flour and then fry them in a frying pan. Oh my goodness major heart problems with the levels of fat consumed, between that and fried chicken they have a great time Ha! Chicken wings seem to be a favorite along with fried shrimp. As for chicken wings, where is the meat lol and fried shrimp I agree are more to my palate but huge amounts again too much fat. Its the difference in culture that is great, for instance my wife loves me making a stew. Also Cornish pasties are another of her favorites.

Then my coup de grat ., English Roast beef, yorkshire pudding, peas, carrots, roast potatoes and gravy sends her into delirium Ha! So it works I eat salad with no dressing and she puts it on. It is super to compliment each other with the differences that we enjoy. I have found that the europeans do tend to eat more healthy, being more concious of fat levels, sugar and sodium content.

Still this is but one small facet of the differences that make our love for one another more enjoyable.

Best wishes to all the gourmets and sweet tooths out there

Arthur and Roberta

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

First the n00by part -Bread sucks-

Am I the only one that think the eggs taste funny??

29/06/2004 Met online

24/10/2004- Officially started dating!

-Various Trips Between the USA and Scotland-

25/12/2007- Steven Proposed, and gave me a lovely Ring!

29/02/2008- Sent I-129F to VSC

22/09/2008-1pm - Recieved Visa!

04/11/2008 -Steven comes back to Scotland for the Celebrations!

09/11/2008- We return home together!

23/01/2009- Wedding!!!

Your I-129f was approved in 108 days from your NOA1 date.

Preparing AOS Forms.

09/4/2009- Sent AOS

11/4/2009- Received and signed for

20/4/2009- Received NOA for AOS/EAD/AP (Dated April 17th)

20/4/2009- USCIS cashed check for $1010

09/5/2009- Biometrics

11/5/2009- Case transferred to CSC

05/6/2009- Received AP

09/6/2009- Received EAD

22/7/2009- Approved!

27/7/2009- Greencard in Hand

Removal of Conditions.

15/5/2011- Received @ VSC

23/5/2011-NOA1

12/07/2011- Biometrics

Before you bite my head off, this is my first food rant since joining Vj. :)

Prior to meeting my husband I was a semi-frequent visitor to mainland US, and found many foods that I didn't like, rather than foods that I couldn't stand the sugar content or sweetness of. I'm not sure if it's because the people I was visiting were predominantly well-travelled Americans rather than the non-explorer variety, but it never seemed that their food was either over processed or overly sweet.

Here in Hawaii, so many foods are drowning in sugar. Bread, ugh, utterly inedible (is there a single Brit who finds it palatable in any way?). I think I miss granary loaves/rolls and French stick more than anything else from home. But, it's improving my cooking skills no end while I master the art making great bread, simply because I cannot live without toast and marmalade with my breakfast cuppa. I not only can't, I won't. :)

Tea. OMG tea sucks here. I carry a foil wrapped pack of teabags in my purse, just in case. The looks I get when I ask for hot water and a glass of milk are priceless. *evil grin* .. When I run out of supplies, I phone my Dad and beg him to mail me a new box of Yorkshire tea.

I also find that drinks are way too strongly flavoured and highly coloured. When we get drinks in restaurants (lemonade, fruit punch, iced tea), I ask them to pour half a glass and top the rest up with water otherwise it makes me gag. I miss my Tesco's squash drinks, badly.

Just have to share a comment my out-laws made during our rehearsal dinner:-

You can always tell who's cooked - if it was the Brit you get a little meat and lots of veg. If it was the American you get plenty of meat and little to no veg! Heh

Edited by Brit Abroad

ROC

AR11 filed: 02/05/11

I-751 filed at Vermont Service Center: 02/07/11

NOA: 02/14/11

Biometrics appt: 03/21/11

RoC Interview: Not required

RoC Approved: 08/04/2011

10 yr Green card received: 08/10/2011

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

Yeah I would agree - especially the bread.. it was very hard to find good (or I should say something similar to what I'm used to) bread (generally was too sweet and waaay too soft) in NC.. and Baked Beans too.. but that said, could live with it to be with my wife again.

Having said that though.. the amount of butter used is more of an issue I think :D

Yeah I would agree - especially the bread.. it was very hard to find good (or I should say something similar to what I'm used to) bread (generally was too sweet and waaay too soft) in NC.. and Baked Beans too.. but that said, could live with it to be with my wife again.

Having said that though.. the amount of butter used is more of an issue I think :D

Paula Deene and her butter.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.