lizaanne

To the Brits - do you think everything here in the US is too sweet?

148 posts in this topic

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
I think the issue with Cheddar in this country is that most people consider Cheddar to be a word meaning "Generic bland cheese". Most people have no clue even that Cheddar is English in origin, should not be orange, and is supposed to have some taste!

I've been to Cheddar many times - had some family that lived nearby. I think they'd be bemused at some of the stuff here that bears it's name.

The stuff they sell here and claim it is cheddar cheese is nothing like cheese never mind cheddar...

its like plastic with a hint of cheese flavoring.... I bought some Mature cheddar once and was disgusting.... my husbands socks had a more mature smell than the so called cheddar cheese...

Not nice...

Kez

Edited by Niagaenola

The stuff they sell here and claim it is cheddar cheese is nothing like cheese never mind cheddar...

its like plastic with a hint of cheese flavoring....

They sell stuff like that in Britain as well though, it all depends on what you buy. I have yet to live anywhere in the USA that doesn't sell decent cheddar in at least one of the local supermarkets thankfully. Where I am right now everywhere, even Wal-mart, sells decent Cheddar.

• 1 month later...

Real butter or margarine? Anyway, when I went to visit my fiance's parents in the UK and his mother made me a cheese sandwich with margarine spread on it as a condiment. Of course I pretended to like it.

Also, my fiance drinks hot tea when it's a hundred degrees outside. Wouldn't this be bad for you? I drink cool water and lots of it.

I went to the movie theater in Liverpool and got some popcorn. At my first bite i noticed it had sugar on it and not salt. I almost spit it onto the person in front of me. The worst thing about it is that you think you are getting one thing and then you get another. (My mother says this is what marriage is like, LOL) If he had told me beforehand then it wouldn't have been so utterly terrible. Personally, I think he enjoyed it. Payback is Hell.

anything that has corn syrup in it. If it's too sweet, don't eat it! We don't eat anything processed and only eat at restaurants that are part of a "Fresh Food" network. The other problem over here is the sodium content. It's very scary! The only thing I buy that comes out of a can is tuna in spring water. Everything else we make from scratch. We're very lucky enough to have a good local co-op (oh, how I wish we had a Trader Joes!) and a vegetable garden in the summer months which almost feeds us through the winter (we freeze the veg). The only other shop we use is the offie. ;) Supermarkets are for buying loo roll now. Nowt much else I want in there. :no:

I look at the back of most things. If it has HFCS in it....I tend to avoid it. The stuff without it IS there, you just have to look very hard. I have found some bread that doesn't have it in, plus I have my own breadmaker, which helps.

Sheila and John

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

That's one thing I am SO going to miss. English bread.

I am going to have to invest in a bread maker.

Our K1 Journey

November 5th 2005 - ♥ Tash & Chris met ♥

June 11th 2007 - We posted the I129F :D

June 19th 2007 - USCIS received date

June 22nd 2007 - NOA1 received

November 16th 2007 - NOA2 - 156 days from filing

November 24th 2007 - Hard copy of NOA2 received

December 15th 2007 - Packet 3 received

January 18th 2008 - Packet 3 returned

February 13th 2008 - Packet 4 received

March 4th 2008 - Medical @ 1.00pm

March 5th 2008 - INTERVIEW @ 10.00am - APPROVED!!

March 11th 2008 - Visa received!

April 30th 2008 - Flying home at last!!!!! (POE: Dulles - Washington DC)

July 12th 2008 - Wedding date!

Now for AOS!

:lol:

I can't live without good cheese, our Kroger has a small area for other cheeses and stocks some Canadian chedder that is really good, though it's kinda small and expensive. It's a price I'm willing to pay!

It's no secret that I have a bad habit for foods that are bad for me: chocolate, ice cream, crisps/chips. I was trying to lose a little extra weight before my wedding and it just wasn't shifting even though I ate less, cut snacks out e.t.c and exercised daily.

Everything I went to eat though, like bread, mother-i-l says "You shouldn't eat much of that" to the point I was thinking, what CAN I eat. Seriously.

She embarked on a diet package, I think it was called the Nutri-grain system, it was $200 for a box of food that tasted like paper...she did lose the weight bless her but it was not enjoyable in the least. I always believed a good diet could be obtained by a little of everything and good exercise but no longer feel that that is the case in the US.

Right now we live in SOs parents house, they've done so much for us. But it has made me determined when we have our own house and do our own groceries that I can spend more time being aware of what I put in the basket even though as others have said, it will involve doing a lot more from scratch. If that's what I need to do to feel healthy, I guess there's nothing for it - I'm sure I can find other chores for him to do instead :D

I can't get used to popcorn in the US either. Butter and salt...just...nooooo! But if I don't like it much and it stops me from eating it, it's one less thing to worry about lol

mooglesmall2-1-1.jpgDelicioussig.jpg

Credit where it's due...our local Sainsbury's had rather good bread. My local supermarket here does too, but I'm in a very wealthy part of Dallas right now and I'm sure when I get my own place it'll be in a somewhat less well-heeled area of town so good bread will be harder to find. :blush:

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Invest in a good knife as well...we love our bread maker, I got it as a gift several years ago, but cutting it for sandwiches or good toast was the problem! We have a chef friend who I was talking to about this and he gave us this amazing knife as a gift for our wedding..it has made all the difference.

I miss english bread...I miss english cheese....I just did something people will hate...Threw out about 4 packages of Bisto gravy stuff...it was out of date but most of it was never opened. I just don't like gravy that much! :( Got loads of HP sauce if anyone wants any!

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

I am a wife!! Whoa this is weird!

Credit where it's due...our local Sainsbury's had rather good bread. My local supermarket here does too, but I'm in a very wealthy part of Dallas right now and I'm sure when I get my own place it'll be in a somewhat less well-heeled area of town so good bread will be harder to find. :blush:

Ok I have to ask where in Dallas is this Supermarket for future reference. Tiff has have been to the UK Emporium at Grapevine, luckily round the corner from us, and found all the necessities Bisto and Cadbury's Chocolate although must admit I never thought to ask about good old fashioned bread.

Our Visa Journey

2/13 - I-129F sent to TSC

7/31 - K1 - APPROVED

8/5 - POE @ Dallas/Ft. Worth

8/11 - Wedding!!

10/15 - received Greencard

Got 10-year Greencard

Ok I have to ask where in Dallas is this Supermarket for future reference. Tiff has have been to the UK Emporium at Grapevine, luckily round the corner from us, and found all the necessities Bisto and Cadbury's Chocolate although must admit I never thought to ask about good old fashioned bread.

The Tom Thumb at Preston and Forest is good (NE corner) as well as the Whole Foods store (SE corner). There's a La Madeleine near the Tom Thumb...it's pretty good too.

I've never been to the UK emporium in Grapevine; I used to go to the store on lower Greenville but it's gone now. I don't really miss any UK foods but I may in the future. :lol:

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

Timeline

You have Sainsbury's in America? :o :o :o Really?

I am also going to miss Marmite... But I noticed that Giant have started selling it... It's a bit expensive though :blink: Ugh and PROPER Cadbury's caramel too. I am going to have to have monthly care packages shipped over methinks :yes::lol:

Ugh! And English stuffing too... Paxo... Ooooh! And suet!

*Having second thoughts now* :unsure:

(Joking) :lol: :lol:

Our K1 Journey

Now for AOS!

Invest in a good knife as well...we love our bread maker, I got it as a gift several years ago, but cutting it for sandwiches or good toast was the problem! We have a chef friend who I was talking to about this and he gave us this amazing knife as a gift for our wedding..it has made all the difference.

:thumbs:

The best thing to do is actually go to a shop together and test them out. One knife may work for one half but not the other. For example, Wusthofs are slightly lighter and have smaller handles, whereas Henckels have larger handles but with virtually the same blade as Wusthofs. It depends on hand size etc. I love Globals, but they're a ####### to sharpen as the blade is cut differently. We've been slowly growing our knife collection, and if you look after them they will last for life. Ebay have great bargains on the top ranges.

That was a geeks knife post. :blush:

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

Timeline
The best thing to do is actually go to a shop together and test them out. One knife may work for one half but not the other. For example, Wusthofs are slightly lighter and have smaller handles, whereas Henckels have larger handles but with virtually the same blade as Wusthofs. It depends on hand size etc. I love Globals, but they're a ####### to sharpen as the blade is cut differently. We've been slowly growing our knife collection, and if you look after them they will last for life. Ebay have great bargains on the top ranges.

That was a geeks knife post. :blush:

:lol: :lol:

Global knives are very good, you just need to get one with a serrated edge, they are the best for cutting bread :D

Our K1 Journey

Now for AOS!

I am definitely going to be grabbing the nearest person I know with a Makro card and make them take me bulk buy shopping nothing is better than a 2KG tub of Marmite :thumbs: and of course a box of Crunchie's to earn me 3 million brownie points with the soon to be Mrs Dan

Our Visa Journey

2/13 - I-129F sent to TSC

7/31 - K1 - APPROVED

8/5 - POE @ Dallas/Ft. Worth

8/11 - Wedding!!

10/15 - received Greencard

Got 10-year Greencard

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.