CanuckmeetsYank

My Experience changing my Drivers License today..

72 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Warlord and Everyone Else,

I agree, I've felt "more at home, fitting in, and belonging" in the USA than I ever felt in Canada. The funny thing is that I'm not a USC yet, and yes, I am definitely looking forward to US Citizenship soon! The main reason why I moved here was because of my husband, whom I really love and care about. But like you, I think of it as a bonus too, as there are other reasons why I would have moved to the USA too, as I didn't feel like I really belonged in Canada. Likewise, my husband joked around too and mentioned that he would live in Canada with me, to which I responded: "Absolutely not! I would not live in Canada ever again then why the heck should you live in Canada too?". So thus, I moved here to to be with him in the USA (unexpectly though, as who knew that a two week vacation would turn into a whole lifetime of living here in the USA...). And yes, visiting here, getting married here, and living here with my husband in the USA was the best decision that I ever made!

I too have only experienced the mostly positive things here in the USA, and am looking forward to seeing more positive things that the USA has to offer too...

Ant (A happy soon-to-be American in the USA....)

I never liked living in Canada and always had more friends in the US and just fit in better with the American way. Meeting my wife was actually just a bonus after already being here. She has talk (jokingly I hope) that it might be cool to try and live in Canada, I laughed and said I wouldn't live there again if my life depended on it ha ha.

For me all I have experienced in the US is the positive and the only things I see from Canada are the negatives. People laugh at me here the way I bash Canada all the time, many of the (All US Citizens) stand up for Canada which is even funnier. Anyways, I'm just happy I'm finally home to where I belong in the USA...

Edited by AntandD

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Moved to Iowa to be with the girl of my dreams, stayed to go to school, going back to Canada with me wife thrown over me shoulder when I have my degree(s). B)

I had plenty trouble with USCIS, no trouble at the DMV. The stereotypical questions came from inlaws and random strangers....

"Do you have roads?" "Do you have telephones?" "Are there alcoholics in Canada?" :huh:

After nearly four years....it's finally settled down. ;)

Filed: Timeline
Moved to Iowa to be with the girl of my dreams, stayed to go to school, going back to Canada with me wife thrown over me shoulder when I have my degree(s). B)

I had plenty trouble with USCIS, no trouble at the DMV. The stereotypical questions came from inlaws and random strangers....

"Do you have roads?" "Do you have telephones?" "Are there alcoholics in Canada?" :huh:

"Do you have roads?" - nope, we all drive around in our snowmobiles! :D

"Do you have telephones?" - what are telephones? nowadays, we use voice-chat over the internet.

"Are there alcoholics in Canada?" - *thinks for a moment* nah, we don't sell our alcohol in grocery stores.

So far, no one's asked me any questions such as these. The most popular topic is the weather. It feels like summer here in NorCal! I love it, but I also miss the crazy snowstorms back in Toronto right now.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Totally agree...I quit my Marketing job back in June '06 (thinking my K1 would be through in July...I am STILL waiting!!) and so I've been feeling very ineffective lately...but it's all for love!! My Fiance doesn't like Toronto, so I made the choice to move down to the US. I am not there officially, but I visit often, and it's hard to be away from Friends and Family. Thank goodness my future in-laws are so great!

Well I'm not going to speak for the other Canadians here but the only reason why I'm moving is to be with my husband as it makes more sense for his career to stay there for now. If the marriage ended, I'd come back to Canada in a heartbeat.

Patriotism is all fine and dandy except when it single-handedly dismisses critiques in a STFU kind of way. That doesn't sit well with me.

I'm agreeing with you too. The only reason I'm here is because of my husband as well :)

Don't care one bit about patriotism or "the American Dream" (sorry, Ant, I had a career going on for me back in Canada and didn't need to move here to fulfill any dreams... my "dream" is to be well-travelled and a citizen of the world, and the term "patriotism" actually sends a shiver down my back).

I agree. I too am here for my husband. I had a well established career back in Canada, and family and friends. But made the choice to come here for him. Grant it I will make the best of a life here I can for us and our family. But should something change or happen to him I would also move back without a second thought.

AOS

AOS Package received in Chicago 4-25-07 (Day 1)

NOA 1 5-01-07 (Day 7)

Cheque Cashed 5-02-07 (Day 8)

Touched 5-04-07 (Day 10)

Biometrics Appointment 5-18-07 (Day 26)

Touched 5-21-07 (Day 29)

Transferred to CSC e-mail 5-25-07 (Day 33)

Touched 5-28-07 (Day 36)

Touched again...feels niiiice! 5-29-07 (Day 37)

Notice of CSC transfer via reg mail 6-01-07 (Day 40)

Touched; 'pending @ CSC' e-mail 6-07-07 (Day 46)

Touched 6-08-07 (Day 47)

Touched 6-10-07 (Day 49)

Touched 6-19-07 (Day 58)

Touched 6-20-07 (Day 59)

Touched 8-31-07 & 9-3-07

Card Production Ordered 10-01-07

Welcome Notice Sent 10-02-07

Lifting of Conditions

Sent 7/13/09

Received at CSC 7/14/09

NOA Receieved (Dated 7/14) 7/18/09

Biometrics Appointment 8/12/09

Touched 8/13/09

Nice........hope you didnt forget to mention that we are living in Igloos....... :whistle:

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif+3dflags-canqc1-1.gif3Dflags

Removal of Conditions: GC received on 09/17/2009

Application to replace permanent resident cards filed 3/30/2019 (I-90)

Nice........hope you didnt forget to mention that we are living in Igloos....... :whistle:

My sister and I actually had that asked of us once..... "Oh wow. You're from Canada?!!! Do you live in igloos all year round, or do you come out in the summer?" Thanks to Sis, somewhere out there is a male who thinks that we do live in igloos but that we build wooden huts during the warmer months to avoid wet clothing.

Edited by Krikit
iagree.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Had an American guy stop by in July in Prince Albert Sk, asking how much further North he was going to have to go to snowmobile!! lol

Edited by flames9

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Tick another one of a kind experience off my list, only found in America! ;)

Welcome to the land of the 'generally unsophisticated'. You will not find a greater number of geographically ignorant individuals assembled together on one land. I sometimes wonder why the USC's here don't consider moving to the OTHER country ;)

If I had a job offer in Canada, for example, I'd move there in a heartbeat.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
I know a lot of people look to VJ for information about changing their licenses over. Just thought I would share my experience :) :

So I went to change my Alberta license here in Illinois, and after my experience in the Social Security Office I knew this was going to be fun. I went down there armed with all my documents required and my marriage certificate so that they could change it to my married name.

Well I got the the counter and told the young woman what I was there for and showed her my paper work. She immediately asked her supervisor if my license was from Canada. He said to me that I didn't have a Canadian License. I said yes I do..its a Canadian license. He said no its not. I said Alberta is a province in Canada..that is my last address before here..he took off with my license to ask someone else if this was true. So while he was gone , she took my Birth Certificate and asked if Nova Scotia was in Australia. Then I realized these people have likey not left Chicago before now. I explained to her where Nova Scotia was to give her an idea. Finally the guys comes back with my Alberta license and says to the young woman "She's right. It's in Canada" sounding a bit surprised. I just laughed and thought to myself..wow...the majority of Americans really have no idea what is out there beyond their borders!

All in all it was not that difficult to change the license. I did have to do the Eye Exam and written exam before they would issue the Illinois one. Some states make you do the road test as well as the written.

Tick another one of a kind experience off my list, only found in America! ;)

:lol::lol:

That is very funny. We usualy in the USA just study American cities and regions. In highschool we can take geography as an elective if we want. Now that we have these state test we study towards them. That means math reading science.

So you didn't have to take the written or driving test here in IL? Wow!!! Just asking because my husband has a Jamaican licenses. How long could you drive on you CA licenses before you got your IL licenses?

Take Care

Well they will make you do the Eye Exam and the Written for sure..and in some cases they will have you do the Road exam. Everything I found before I went to the DMV just said they may or may not do the road exam, they don't say when they would have someone do the road test. But you could always call the DMV and ask just so your fiance can prepare when he is ready. All the best.

Met Jan 1998, vows on 2006, Jay Jay born 2008, baby 2 - 2011

Look at time line for visa information

xTr6m6.png

Great Cook Shop in the Chicago Land Area: Montego Bay Jerk Chicken Restaurant in Bellwood IL

lXHgm6.png

CuySm6.png

I had to call social security today and the person I spoke with asked me if I spoke French (because I was from Canada, and probably also because I come from Saut Ste. Marie (French name)). It was pretty cool. He actually seemed to know more about Canada and Canadian french than most did.

2001 Met

2005 Married

I-485/I-130

12/06/2006-------Mailed I-130/1-485

12/16/2006--------Recieved NOA 1 (I-130 & I-485)

12/18/2006--------Touched I-130/I-485

01/20/2007--------Biometrics

05/10/2007 -- Interview, Approved!

05/22/2007 GREEN CARD arrives!!!

02/2009 - File to lift conditions

I-765

12/14/2006--- Mailed EAD App.

01/20/2007--- Biometrics

02/09/2005-------Sent in request to Congressional office for assistance with expediting EAD.

02/13/2007 -------- EAD Approved!

02/26/2007 - ------EAD received

Removal of Conditions:

05/12/2009 -- Overnighted application by USPS express mail (VSC).

05/14/2009 -- Green Card expired.

05/23/2009 --- Check cleared bank.

05/26/2009 -- Received NOA (NOA date May 15, 2009, guess they aren't deporting me).

05/29/2009- Biometrics Notice date

06/01/2009- Received Biometrics Letter

06/18/2009 - Biometrics

09/23/2009 - date of decision to approve (letter received), just waiting for card. No online updates whatsoever.

I had to call social security today and the person I spoke with asked me if I spoke French (because I was from Canada, and probably also because I come from Saut Ste. Marie (French name)). It was pretty cool. He actually seemed to know more about Canada and Canadian french than most did.

is your state somewhere around quebec ? just curious, they might know if they are around....even though we could be surprised, i heard some people in Maine have no idea where canada is :blink:

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif+3dflags-canqc1-1.gif3Dflags

Removal of Conditions: GC received on 09/17/2009

Application to replace permanent resident cards filed 3/30/2019 (I-90)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I called IRS a few days back about my RRSP. The lady was polite, but clueless. So when they do not have the answer, they take down ur questions, phone #, etc and get 1 of their "experts" to call u back (within 15 days!! lol) SO, she is readin my questioon back to me. She starts off stating I'm a USA citizen, I politely say no, I'm not a USA citizen, but a permanent resident of the USA. She say ok, starts at the begiinign again, your a USA citizen, I politely say no, I'm not a USA citizen, I am a Canadian citizen, legally livin gin the USA, a permanent resident. SO for the 3rd time she starts over, and yert again calls me a USA citizen, lol I polityely say no, I'm not a USA citizen, I am a green card holder. She pauses, and then calls me a legal alien and carries on with my question,lol Guess it would not have mattered if I was called a USA citizen for their purposes, lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.